Triggers for raising platforms

builders help builders

Moderator: eTux

AngelR

Triggers for raising platforms

Post by AngelR » 30 Aug 2008 18:45

Is it possible to trigger a raising platform using a set of flame emitters? Like lighting a flame using a torch.

justin

Post by justin » 30 Aug 2008 19:36

Yes, you can place a heavy trigger under the flame emmitter, then place the trigger for the platform on the same square. So when Lara lights the flame, it triggers the platform. Assuming this is what you mean :)
Dark Skies loom...

AngelR

Post by AngelR » 30 Aug 2008 19:39

Yes, can you have up to 4 series of flame emitters to trigger the raising platform? If you can, what OCBs do they need?

Neso

Post by Neso » 30 Aug 2008 21:11

You can use until 5 flame emitters. It's not up to OCBs code, but with the parameters of the Heavy Trigger.

Let's suppose you have 2 flame emitters to light to raise the raising block.

On the tile of the first flame, you can put a HEAVY trigger with 1 ticked, therefore on the tile of the second flame you have to put HEAVY trigger with 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 ticked.

OR
On the tile of the first flame, you can put a HEAVY trigger with 1 - 2 ticked, therefore on the tile of the second flame you have to put HEAVY trigger with 3 - 4 - 5 ticked.

OR
On the tile of the first flame, you can put a HEAVY trigger with 1 - 2 - 3 ticked, therefore on the tile of the second flame you have to put HEAVY trigger with 4 - 5 ticked.

OR
On the tile of the first flame, you can put a HEAVY trigger with 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 ticked, therefore on the tile of the second flame you have to put HEAVY trigger with 5 ticked.

In a nutshell
In order to activate anything you want, the five buttons (1 to 5) must be black. Since there are 5 buttons, you can use maximum 5 HEAVY and so 5 flames.

(not sure it was clear...) :anxious:

EDIT : Never tested it, but with the rollingball trick, perhaps we could use until 25 flame to trigger something (5 * 5).
Image Image

Von Cory

Post by Von Cory » 31 Aug 2008 08:09

Rollingball trick :?
The Ultimate Search 4 + 5 - Thinking phase and Building Phase

AngelR

Post by AngelR » 31 Aug 2008 23:40

I tried it and I can light the first two flames and the platform rises up. I set the trigger buttons as: 1. 1 for the first flame and heavy 2. 2 for the second and heavy 3. 3 for the third flame and heavy 4. 4 for the fourth flame and heavy 5. 5 for the fifth flame and heavy. Also there is a trigger on the same tile for the raising platform. Am I supposed to open the object code bit with the "o" button or with the bar beside the purple trigger button in the room editor?

EDIT: Hope I explained the situation clear enough

Fluen

Post by Fluen » 13 Sep 2008 11:49

If you haven't solved the problem yet - here is my advice:

When you stack a series of triggers on one block (tile) only ONE must have codebits pressed off (grey).
If just one trigger on a tile is special it affects all other triggers on the same block. This means that if you make a timed trigger and place more triggers at the same block they are also timed (something to be careful about).

If you want Lara to manually light four flames in order to raise the block you set it up like this (step by step):

Tile 1:
Place a trigger for the raising block on tile 1. Click the trigger window next to the pink button to open the trigger window and select trigger type "heavy".
Now take a look at the five black buttons in the same window. You must make sure only no. 1 is black. You click the four others (those are the codebits) so they turn grey.
Click "ok" when done.

Then you place a flame-emitter on the same tile. You should not trigger it or do anything else to it aside from placing it with the orientation and height you want it.

Lara must use the torch to light the flame-emitter. This does not require a trigger.

Tile 2:
Place another trigger for the raising block on tile 2. Again you open the trigger window by clicking over the small panel next to the pink trigger button and select trigger type "heavy".
This time it's codebit 2 that must be black and the others grey. Click "ok" when done.

Place a flame-emitter on tile 2 the way you want it to turn. No need for a trigger.

Tile 3:
Place the third trigger for the raising block on tile 3. Make it a heavy trigger and make codebit 3 black and the others grey.

Place a flame-emitter on the same tile. Same procedure as before.

Tile 4:
Place the fourth and last trigger for the raising block on tile 4. Make it a heavy trigger like the others.
Make sure the previously not used codebits (in this case no. 4 and 5) are black and the others grey.

Place a flame-emitter on tile 4.

When Lara brings a lit torch and lights the four flames manually the raising block will be triggered.

The only confusing thing about this is that if you use less than five triggers to trigger something only one codebit (black button) should be black in each trigger window. Except for the last trigger where the remaining codebits must be black.

That is why a normal trigger as default has all five codebits black - they are the "remaining" codebits used to trigger the object.

AngelR

Post by AngelR » 14 Sep 2008 00:37

I finally got it to work. Thank you very much for the help, cause it was a pain trying to get it to work and it wouldn't and I kept running out of ideas.

Dutchy
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by Dutchy » 14 Sep 2008 09:46

Von Cory wrote:Rollingball trick :?
He meant 5 flames to trigger a rolling ball in a fake room (trigger room) where Lara doesn't come "in game". This ball will trigger the first of 5 heavy triggers for an event. So you can do 5 flames * 5 rollingballs =25 triggers for one event. Well that would be boring wouldn't it... :?

but it's just an example of what you could do :D
An example could be the 10 keys TC14 used to trigger a flipmap after the Hall of Legends,although I'm not sure he did it like this
The Two most important days of your Life; the one where you are born and the one when you find out why (Twain)

Dutchy's (D&G) Walkthroughs