Welcome to the new trle.net 2020

off topic

Moderator: Marksdad

MichaelP
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Welcome to the new trle.net 2020

Post by MichaelP » 10 Sep 2020 22:47

Thanks for your patience while the site was moved to a different server and underwent a bit of a redesign.

Still not fully done, but I believe most of the key elements are working the way they should - please use this thread to post any issues, comments or feedback :)

HAPPY RAIDING!
Michael.

lizard queen

Re: Welcome to the new trle.net 2020

Post by lizard queen » 11 Sep 2020 14:06

Well, that was fast! :D

I know you have a lot on your plate but I noticed the advanced search function still excludes the "Stuck in a Custom Level" forum when in Guest Mode.

vimmers
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by vimmers » 11 Sep 2020 16:51

lizard queen wrote:
11 Sep 2020 14:06
Well, that was fast! :D

I know you have a lot on your plate but I noticed the advanced search function still excludes the "Stuck in a Custom Level" forum when in Guest Mode.
it's very common in many forums
that you can't search unless you are a member and logged in

lizard queen

Post by lizard queen » 11 Sep 2020 16:56

Yes, but in the case here you are allowed to search every other section in Guest Mode except "Stuck in a Custom Level". So the issue is not whether you are signed in or not, the issue is that this one section for some reason is excluded from the advanced search options when in Guest Mode. (...and hi vimmers! :hi:)

Larysuh13

Post by Larysuh13 » 11 Sep 2020 22:44

I imagine that michael is having a lot of work :) , after all, taking the site to a new server is a lot of work, I can see a little of the new site at this link: http://www.trle.net/pFind.php, I really liked the new model :2thumbsup: :2thumbsup:,will we be able to put our levels alone through our accounts or will it be the traditional way? :dunno:

JesseG

Post by JesseG » 12 Sep 2020 03:15

Looks nice, and a bit more modern. Will take a bit of getting used to, but overall the navigation is more intuitive. :2thumbsup:

MichaelP
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by MichaelP » 12 Sep 2020 17:33

Thanks for the early feedback - I can certainly live with "more modern" and "intuitive" :D :D

I have "opened the doors" now for everyone to look and see and play around with the new design. Not everything is 100% ready/done, but largely this is it, so again - let the feedback come in here (good and bad) and especially please do report any errors you find.

Re: the forum search thing - I did not touch or change anything on the forum, so indeed if that problem was there before it is still there now (and I still have no idea why it is there and hence no idea how to solve)

Re: uploading levels directly - no, not changed yet, but may still get to that later

SrDanielPonces

Post by SrDanielPonces » 12 Sep 2020 17:53

sorry but i think it looks... weird
to explain more: I think it's waaaay too simple. For example the level list looks weird because there's nothing to "seperate". it just gets confusing. The level info looks actually nice but you can't zoom on the pictures below because it appears at the top of the image.

The "home" page is what looks worse, the rest is actually fine, just needs some tweaking

maybe with some more work it will look a lot better!

EDIT: More feedback

I think the top levels etc list looks fine, and I like how all of the buttons are now on top.

However, the T O M B R A I D E R L E V E L E D I T O R on top looks very bad and simple. Maybe a nice logo would make it a lot better? I'm sure we have many talented people here that could help!!!
Last edited by SrDanielPonces on 12 Sep 2020 18:02, edited 1 time in total.

TombExplorer

Post by TombExplorer » 12 Sep 2020 18:02

I have to be honest, this is so messy. Totally not modern and ugly.
The look of the site was not too bad: it screamed 1999, but still was not too bad.
There were so many things in need of a change. At example, the fact that you can review levels with anyone's name. That is one of the worst thing I have ever seen in a site imho. Or the search function here on the forums, that doesn't literally work. The likes on the levels, that are broken...

There were so many things to change, and you guys changed the only thing that was fine, and destroyed it. :lol:

I don't want to sound rude or anything, but this site is the vanguard of the Level Editor community, and making it look like a random site made by a 10 years old kid is not a good way to welcome new players or builders.

Sorry for the rant. I really hope the change could be reverted. :angel:

SrDanielPonces

Post by SrDanielPonces » 12 Sep 2020 18:04

I honestly want this site to look extra good, especially since it's one of the most important of the TRLE community. TRSearch, for example, has an excellent design and color palette.
I hope I wasn't rude too, I hope you listen to the advices and make it look flawless!!

lizard queen

Post by lizard queen » 12 Sep 2020 18:11

MichaelP wrote:
12 Sep 2020 17:33
Re: the forum search thing - I did not touch or change anything on the forum, so indeed if that problem was there before it is still there now (and I still have no idea why it is there and hence no idea how to solve)
I did notice something when in Guest Mode. At the top of every forum (eg. Chat Forum) there is a search box at the top and to the right of the New Topic box but NOT in the Stuck in a Custom Level Forum. Maybe there's an option to add that search box or make it available to everyone, not just members that may solve the problem? :dunno:

SrDanielPonces

Post by SrDanielPonces » 12 Sep 2020 18:15

and omg please, if possible, add a dark mode <3

TombExplorer

Post by TombExplorer » 12 Sep 2020 18:16

^ That would be so good

Tombraider95

Post by Tombraider95 » 12 Sep 2020 18:18

Well, it's very different. I feel lost :-P

I think with the level info pages, I prefer having the images in a row along the top (parallel to the image on the left side), as I'm not a fan of the images being in a square. Then the level info can be underneath like before. But yeah I think parts of the pages now, especially the home page kinda looks a bit "plain" compared to before. I think there's a bit too much green of different shades. I like the colour of the pages this website uses, the colour at the sides <<<<<< >>>>>>> Hmmm. :-o

Joey Quint

Post by Joey Quint » 12 Sep 2020 18:28

Honestly, the layout itself is fine to me. I think it's more intuitive to navigate through the website when you're a newcomer.
However the design just feels unfinished. It kinda feels like it's meant to have background images/patterns everywhere but that the browser failed to download them.
Also the shade of green used looks a bit less appealing. The old one (and the forum) was kinda yellowish, and the whole thing reminded of tropical colors, like a jungle. Now it's just a plain green.
I'm not convinced yet. Maybe you could ask for help with the design though? There are probably many people would could make something out of it. I'd take a website like Captain Alban as an inspiration, it manages to look modern while keeping a tropical-like feeling.