Neon God - crashing problem

PC problems/recommendations

Moderators: MichaelP, Tinka

Ryan
Keen Eye of the Week
Keen Eye of the Week

Neon God - crashing problem

Post by Ryan » 25 Mar 2020 17:27

I'm currently replaying Neon God and it was working fine up until the Heart of Peru level, then it just crashes upon that loading screen. I assume that one of the data files is causing the issue, so could someone check what the data folder is meant to contain?

EDIT: One other thing. I notice that one of the TR4 files is named "ngpeju.tr4". Is it possible that a typo for "Peru" is causing this issue? I downloaded my version from OBig's Hungarian site.
No one but ourselves can free our minds...

Teone
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Re: Neon God - crashing problem

Post by Teone » 25 Mar 2020 17:48

Did you change the EXE file?
When I played this game, time ago, I had the same problem because I used a different exe. :hammer:
The exe in that game has the Tomo patch for weather effects (the file effects.bin) and using a different one causes crash.

vimmers
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by vimmers » 25 Mar 2020 18:01

there is a thread about neon god crash problem

Mytly
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by Mytly » 25 Mar 2020 18:28

Yeah, certain levels in Neon God work only with the original exe. When I replayed it a few years ago, I played most of the levels with my own widescreen-patched exe, but some of the levels - Heart of Peru and Puya Raimondii, IIRC - wouldn't load with that exe, so I had to switch back to the original one for those two levels.

The data file name is correct. I still have the zip file of the level that I downloaded from trle.net (all the way back in 2008, when Nadine's levels were still hosted here!), and it has the same name.

Ryan
Keen Eye of the Week
Keen Eye of the Week

Post by Ryan » 25 Mar 2020 18:52

OK, I've just tried with the original exe that came with the download, but it seems to crash upon startup for some reason, even with all the files in the right place, so I'm stumped.

(Gerty, feel free to move any of these posts to the already existing thread.)

Jorge22
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by Jorge22 » 25 Mar 2020 19:22

I replayed Neon God a while back. I really don't know anymore but if it has FMVs, you could try and disable the FMVs. See if that works.

TombTitan

Post by TombTitan » 25 Mar 2020 20:39

The crashes are not because of the exe file or fmvs. The game stops and fails to load because of the "infamous" baboon/monkey bug (caused by Microsoft's changes to the windows operating system since XP) in the "Heart of Peru" level (and maybe later in the game).

You need to play that level non-stop without closing the game, or use pre-existing savegames from Windows XP at different places in that level (if you can find them on the internet).

I would attach a savegame from the start of the next level ("Crystalline Passage" -- which will load to let you continue the game), but you posted this in a thread that does not allow attachments. Please re-post your request in an appropriate help thread.

P.S. There will be another significant Microsoft change at the end of the year when they end support and availability for the Visual C redistributables before 2015. That may make some plugins in newer levels fail.

Jorge22
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by Jorge22 » 25 Mar 2020 20:48

That may be so, nothing against it. All I can say is I replayed Neon God recently without any crashes anywhere in the game. And I'm the kind of person who will play levels bit by bit. Generally speaking, at least. I may get more involved if a game is really quite unique and not too mind boggling.

Ryan
Keen Eye of the Week
Keen Eye of the Week

Post by Ryan » 25 Mar 2020 22:03

I just tried with Jade Empire's exe (which also has the files already in place) and that didn't load up either. So the culprit must be the monkeys.

vimmers
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by vimmers » 25 Mar 2020 22:08

Jorge22 wrote:
25 Mar 2020 20:48
That may be so, nothing against it. All I can say is I replayed Neon God recently without any crashes anywhere in the game.
not correct that's why i wrote earlier that there already exist a neon god thread
and you created the thread
it was more and less just after you bought your new pc

Jorge22
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by Jorge22 » 25 Mar 2020 22:33

Really? Wow, I guess I'm both tired and getting old. Ok then. But I know that at least after I did something, the game played fine. Lemme look for that thread...

Yes. Just seen it. But the problem wasn't with it crashing. It was with textures (fixed) and sounds (silly me).

Ceamonks890

Post by Ceamonks890 » 25 Mar 2020 22:42

TombTitan wrote:
25 Mar 2020 20:39
P.S. There will be another significant Microsoft change at the end of the year when they end support and availability for the Visual C redistributables before 2015. That may make some plugins in newer levels fail.
I can't find any info online to confirm this statement. But if it is indeed true, it would be wise for the community to back these up while it is still possible to do so. Don't want entire releases to be rendered completely unplayable down the line, do we? :wink:

Ryan
Keen Eye of the Week
Keen Eye of the Week

Post by Ryan » 25 Mar 2020 22:54

Ah well, it is what it is. It's only a couple of games so no big deal, but they did work without any problems on my previous computer (which was also Windows 8 ).

Gerty
Mod
Mod

Post by Gerty » 28 Mar 2020 17:19

Oops, I did it again... Image

Jorge22
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by Jorge22 » 29 Mar 2020 12:52

Yes, I really think so. But I don't remember having any crashing problems, not with this game.