off topic

Moderator: Marksdad

Titak

Re: Stay safe at home !

Post by Titak » 20 Mar 2020 13:00

SrDanielPonces wrote:
20 Mar 2020 01:08
http://forum.trle.net/viewtopic.php?f=2 ... 29#p784829

This guy started posting again yesterday just after Pedro was banned. His previous posts were from October last year in the exactly the same style as Pedro.
Natah has removed his posts from that thread minutes after this link to it was posted. :?
Why do that if he's innocent? :wink:

Three confirmed infections in the county where I live.
It's getting closer now. :cry:

Right. Got all the schedules for selfstudy for my classes done and uploaded.
They can email me when having questions, but I only had a bunch of questions from two boys yesterday.
So this means I can spend the rest of this day studying. :2thumbsup:
And that means perhaps I can have a real weekend off from work and study now?! Fingers crossed!!!!
Haven't had a weekend off in ages. :D
That is one positive thing about this whole situation I guess... at least for me. :uneasy:
Nothing is in contradiction with nature,
only in contradiction with what we know of it.

Jorge22
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by Jorge22 » 20 Mar 2020 13:12

inactive... - that's the best movie line I've ever seen! :lol:

Anyway, what concerns me the most is how long this is going to last and, as I've already pointed out, the effects on the economy if governments don't unite and understand there's no real profit in having crisis after crisis. Not for the global economic health, surely for some deep pockets.

And it's a bloody drag. Even if we all reduce casualties to a minimum (which I hope we will, after Italy and Spain's examples), even if most people only get a mild flu, we'll all be needing a shrink after several possible months in seclusion, cafes and bars closed, restaurants only responding to home deliveries and take-aways, no cinemas, most shops closed etc., everything cancelled at home and around the world and the dark cloud hanging at all times.

I'm trying to make my students (adults, they should know better) realize there won't be any automatic grades (I sincerely hope not and that's not because I really, really love to correct a load of pages) and I'm definitely counting on their works. Thing is I can only contact them via email and expect them to be reasonable.

Also, I'm not counting on any holidays anywhere this year. Jeez...

Manymee

Post by Manymee » 20 Mar 2020 13:27

I have spoken to my boss earlier and am going to take my year's vacation as of today, after which I will probably switch to unpaid vacation (because my company struggles enough as it is and we still have another earner in the family). Luckily she is very understanding and waived the 2 month advance one usually needs to apply for vacation. Also, the hospital told me today that from Monday on I will probably have to treat myself as they will in all probability not be able to tend to me any longer. They gave me stuff and I am honestly very glad since that means from today I can hunker down and stay as safe as possible.
I am an introvert anyway, and poor, so all these outdoor activities which people around the globe are going to miss badly don't mean anything to me. I love spending my time being creative, reading or painting, listening to stories or watching a movie, and we have the woods right outside so I can always go for a nice walk if I need air.
I wish everyone here that you and your loved ones make it safely through this mess. :love:

Titak

Post by Titak » 20 Mar 2020 15:25

Jorge22 wrote:
20 Mar 2020 13:12
I'm trying to make my students (adults, they should know better) realize there won't be any automatic grades (I sincerely hope not and that's not because I really, really love to correct a load of pages) and I'm definitely counting on their works. Thing is I can only contact them via email and expect them to be reasonable.
I just had a test session with two of my collegues, using zoom.us.
One of those collegues has already been using it these past few days to teach his classes.
You can talk (with or without video) to eachother, there's a chat feature and you can share screens. Like for example a Whiteboard which is part of the Zoom system.
And it is probably not needed when teaching adults, but you can also mute everybody. And when they have a question, they can raise their hand (really, raise their hand... there's a button that makes a hand icon appear in the picture of the participant.) and you can unmute that person so he can ask his question. :D

To make them come to the meeting (as the program calls it) all you need to do it send an invite through email to all participants. It is a simple link to the meeting you are about to do.

You can't ofcourse guarantee everybody to show up, but for those that do want to have some things explained, well, it's a good way imho.

Hitsumei
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Post by Hitsumei » 20 Mar 2020 18:50

Ok, the preliminary results from the scan indicate I only have one fibroid! I'll find out more on Monday from the doctor, but I'm glad it's not as bad as I feared.

Now I can apply for police jobs without any hesitation, and a game warden job in April...And yes, I'm keeping abreast of changes of practices associated with the coronavirus.
"With effort and persistence, a beginner can become an expert!"

Jorge22
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by Jorge22 » 20 Mar 2020 19:40

Glad to know you'll be ok, Hits. :2thumbsup:

Thanks a bunch, Titia. In fact, teachers are using videoconference programs such as that one here too. In my case, it wouldn't add much because it isn't about classic classes - basically, I give instructions, I clear any possible doubts at any time, something comes up and we start discussing the subject (whatever it may be), I correct their works, leave comments plus a final comment and my marks.
Nobody ever complained. They know how to be autonomous, they learn some more autonomy and a lot of things about several subjects, they definitely improve their writing skills and when they mess up (like doing some idle copy/paste) they can acknowledge they've made a mistake. So, it's all good. All they have to realize is it's still going on in spite of the schools being closed. And that's where I come in too.

Storm Chaser

Post by Storm Chaser » 21 Mar 2020 09:58

The UK has now closed schools, pubs, restaurants, theatres etc etc. Looking grim!

Storm Chaser

Post by Storm Chaser » 21 Mar 2020 12:54

We apparently now have a case of Coronavirus in the housing estate that
I live in. Not confirmed by testing but local newspaper says local doctor confirms it. Residents affected are isolating.

Chel

Post by Chel » 21 Mar 2020 20:50

The restaurants in North Carolina have been ordered to close and to only serve takeout via curbside delivery. There is absolutely NO toilet paper on the shelves at the local grocery stores or pharmacies - how ridiculous. Fortunately I had done a sundries run before everyone lost their minds and I ALWAYS buy in bulk (because it's cheaper!). I am still going to the office as usual but I have to wonder how long that will last? I work in the manufacturing industry as an IT analyst/boots-on-the-ground mill support tech. One of my secondary sites is in Granite City, IL, about 20 minutes east of St. Louis, MO, and from what I have heard from close friends/coworkers from my home site who are working there, they believe that the mill will have to shutdown at 5 pm Central time today due to the shelter-in-place order issued yesterday morning. Have been supporting and assisting remotely and by the Gods of my ancestors is it painful. Talking non-tech-savvy folks through troubleshooting and repairs... at least we have FaceTime so I am not diagnosing blindly! Had to cancel all of my upcoming work trips, as my company has enforced a month-long travel ban on IT... we are spread thin as it is so having any of us sick and unable to work would be catastrophic. Well, unless it doesn't matter anymore because the mills have been ordered to stop production and send everyone home. This is going to make the summer a living nightmare if we are back to some semblance of normalcy. I am tracking all the work, projects and various maintenance that I am not able to do right now alongside the projects that I was slated to perform in the 2nd and 3rd quarters and it's getting to be panic mode inducing. I can catch up and do what I need to do, but I may half kill myself working long hours over several weeks doing so.

What worries me most is not the virus itself, it's the long-term damage to the economy that will linger. One of my best friends is an investment banker/stock broker very high up in the food chain, and he told me this morning that out of the 80 who work in his NY office, only 4 (including him) have gone in this week. The rest are half-assing it from home, and that's the case with all the other companies and traders as well. Part of the market meltdown here in the USA is from that very thing. I myself can 100% see quarantining those who are at high risk to protect them, but this complete lockdown... I just don't know. We are going to see so many small businesses and restaurants close due to this. It's going to devastate so many in my hometown of Mt. Airy as well as so many other places across the US. My mother is 70 and she cares for her mom who is 94. I haven't been to visit her in a few weeks because neither is in good health. So yes, I believe that she, and those in high risk groups should shelter in place, 100% and we should be doing everything we can as family members and neighbors to support them during this difficult time.

I hope that every last one of you is doing the best you can. It's gone topsy-turvy out there, but this too shall pass. I have had the folks on the forum here in my thoughts and prayers over the last weeks, especially since so many of you are in the UK and continental Europe. My heart goes out to everyone who is being affected and impacted by the situation.

Storm Chaser

Post by Storm Chaser » 22 Mar 2020 00:54

Went to Morrison’s and Sainsburys today. Morrison’s not too bad, no eggs, no loo roll or tissues, no gravy, no cleaning products, no pasta or rice and hardly any frozen food and empty shelves where the tinned goods normally are. Virtually no beer but wine and spirits not too bad. Sainsburys had even less stuff and no milk! Panic buying is causing problems. The supermarkets are introducing limits on amounts you can buy, but if people stopped panic buying there would not be any shortages!

Storm Chaser

Post by Storm Chaser » 22 Mar 2020 01:34

Chel wrote:
21 Mar 2020 20:50
What worries me most is not the virus itself, it's the long-term damage to the economy that will linger.
Despite the UK government promising financial help, I can see many small businesses, pubs, cafes and restaurants going bust. My best friend who is self employed (drumming workshops) has had every booking cancelled and therefore has no income!

Chel

Post by Chel » 22 Mar 2020 20:47

I hate to hear that, Storm Chaser... Several of my good friends are also small business owners, and had recently (in the last 3 years) opened neighborhood brew pubs that are suffering now. The NC government has waived all the hoops that go with unemployment, but the max is only $350 a week and it's ridiculous and foolhardy to think that any family can sustain themselves on that... the average mortgage and rent in my area is $700 - $900 for modest homes... add in utilities, groceries, a car payment... no way. No can do. One person would barely be scraping by. Add in a family??? Even if your spouse also draws, it's just not enough. My heart breaks for people.

I went by 2 grocery stores today to get the necessities. No toilet/loo paper, very few tissues (likely being purchased and used in lieu of loo paper) and the bread aisle is wiped out. Potatoes were also wiped out. Luckily both stores have in-house bakeries, so there was plenty of hearty, home style bread! Funny what people gravitate to. Cheese was really depleted, cow's milk was non-existent... I feel fortunate that for the most part I only eat fruits, vegetables and grains. My diet isn't really affected at all by the shortages, as I consume niche foods considered 'foreign' or 'ethnic' by the locals. Am quite at home cooking Indian, middle eastern, north African and Mediterranean foods. :p Seafood isn't as scarce as the beef and poultry, which were also cleaned out. Yay for yellow fin tuna!

The cashier who rang up our purchases mentioned that they had a small amount of TP that was stocked first thing in the morning and it was gone in an hour. So annoying. I have 6 of the mega rolls on hand, and I'm thinking I may need to get creative in this department before all is said and done. *sigh*

Jorge22
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by Jorge22 » 22 Mar 2020 21:01

Too stupid. The silver lining is everyone who stockpiles won't do it again so soon, so things should be back to a certain normality.

There are idiots everywhere. From what I just read, the promenades at the neighbouring towns of Póvoa and Vila do Conde (like 20 km or so north from here, really close) were filled with careless strollers as if nothing was happening. The police closed down both places - obviously. I don't know... Do they want things to become as in France, Spain and Italy where one has to, at least from what I know, almost fill in a paper to go out shopping for groceries or whatever?

Titak

Post by Titak » 23 Mar 2020 17:10

Jorge22 wrote:
22 Mar 2020 21:01
Do they want things to become as in France, Spain and Italy where one has to, at least from what I know, almost fill in a paper to go out shopping for groceries or whatever?
Same here: they closed a beach.

I hope that people will be more careful. Otherwise things might end up like those places where you do need a permit to out to buy groceries or something. We really don't want that right?! :cry:

Storm Chaser

Post by Storm Chaser » 23 Mar 2020 22:35

The UK is now on lockdown.
All British households have been told to stay at home except for a strictly limited set of purposes - with police having powers to enforce the instructions with fines.
Shops selling non-essential goods have been ordered to close, along with libraries, playgrounds and outdoor gyms, and places of worship.
Weddings, baptisms and other ceremonies are being stopped, but funerals will continue to go ahead with close family members only. And all public gatherings of more than two people - except for members of the same household - will be banned.
From Monday evening, people will only be allowed to leave their homes for:
- Shopping for basic necessities "as infrequently as possible";
- One exercise outing a day - for example a run, walk or cycle;
- Medical needs or caring for a vulnerable person;
- Travelling to and from work, but only if this is absolutely necessary and cannot be done from home.