Can't play TRLE games

PC problems/recommendations

Moderators: MichaelP, Tinka

totou

Can't play TRLE games

Post by totou » 04 Nov 2019 21:20

Hello

I've an error when I start a game (only TR4). Failing to attaching library of the XXX.dll. Any tips?

Thanks

Totou

JesseG

Re: Can't play TRLE games

Post by JesseG » 04 Nov 2019 21:44

I've had this happen with Castle Herringstein. I ended up deleting the offending .dll file and was able to play the game. This thread has some suggestions that may help as well. However this is only for that specific level, so if you are dealing with a different .dll file in a different level then this may not work.

TombTitan

Post by TombTitan » 04 Nov 2019 22:05

Some builders have been neglectful lately to create a readme file that states they used a new dll that requires players to update their computer to use the latest version (2019) of Microsoft Visual C Redistributable. Especially in the CaC19 series.

DJ Full
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by DJ Full » 05 Nov 2019 19:01

Dude can you stop being an ***... nobody was "neglectful", we just DIDN'T KNOW. Alrite?
woof

vimmers
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by vimmers » 05 Nov 2019 19:26

TombTitan wrote:
04 Nov 2019 22:05
latest version (2019) of Microsoft Visual C Redistributable. Especially in the CaC19 series.
i don't have that installed
and all cac levels play fine on my weak laptop

TombTitan

Post by TombTitan » 05 Nov 2019 19:33

The dll for one CaC19 game does not work with version 2010 on Win 7 or Win 8.1.
The redistributables are not provided by Microsoft in Windows Update.
The dll does work with version 2019 that is available from Microsoft's website, and that dll was created with the 2019 version.

If you have Win10 it is possible that it is built into that operating system. I don't have Win10.

It is also possible that it works with versions 2015 or 2017, but the system codes for those versions are built into the 2019 version of the redistributable (combined series set), and only the 2019 version is now available from Microsoft.

TombTitan

Post by TombTitan » 05 Nov 2019 19:40

DJ Full:

You have no excuse because Microsoft says that the builders of software using Visual C are supposed to provide finished products or the redistributable to the end users of the Visual C applications. It is not the end users' responsibility to figure out what is going on.

Read the instructions for the tools you use.

DJ Full
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by DJ Full » 05 Nov 2019 22:30

TombTitan wrote:
05 Nov 2019 19:40
DJ Full: You have no excuse because Microsoft says that the builders of software using Visual C are supposed to provide finished products or the redistributable to the end users of the Visual C applications. It is not the end users' responsibility to figure out what is going on. Read the instructions for the tools you use.
Dude are you aware it was none of us who released those plugins?
We just build levels, we didn't know about the error until you reported it.
So yes we do have an excuse and stop blaming us when you shouldn't.
woof

TombTitan

Post by TombTitan » 05 Nov 2019 23:13

You just can't accept responsibility for your mistakes.

DJ Full
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by DJ Full » 06 Nov 2019 00:48

I've been doing nothing but that for the past decade...
woof

Teone

Post by Teone » 06 Nov 2019 11:10

What's your job, TombTitan? Are you an Urologist?
I imagine you as an Urologist because you are a finger in the ***.
I hope one day you'll find how unpleasant is to blame people who works for free.

And if you find unpleasant my words... well, we gather what we sow.

Alex Chap

Post by Alex Chap » 06 Nov 2019 11:18

@TombTitan :

Just... How old are you to complain like that seriously ...? Builders are making games for a community where we are supposed to have a goodwill, they are trying to give the best of them for the fun of players. Builders aren't always aware of the problems their game can lead to and we do not always have the potential of a great company to make it perfectly.

@DJ Full :

I'll sue you for making a game that I can't play, your game company will refund me and you'll lose tons of money. Oh wait, you made this game by yourself and for free. I'm so dumb. :D

SrDanielPonces

Post by SrDanielPonces » 06 Nov 2019 12:18

I made my level using windows 7, which is still supported by Microsoft. The plug-ins you say don't work are definitely compatible for Win7 at least.

TombTitan

Post by TombTitan » 06 Nov 2019 13:22

You people all need to just SHUT UP! You are making a mountain out of a mole hill, and showing the bad side of your personalities. Just get over it.

Just because something is free doesn't mean you need to jeopardize your reputation of building skills by being sloppy, or having bad opinions of players. Otherwise you will earn no respect. You need to be able to take criticism when warranted, as in this case.

Nobody said the plugin did not work on Win7 or WIn8.1 (it does!). I said the plugin needs the correct Visual C redistributable to work to prevent a crash. The plugin did not work with the 2010 version of Visual C redistributable which was the last version provided directly by Microsoft in North America in Windows Update. The only free redistributable provided by Microsoft today on their website is the 2019 version which will work with software developed with earlier Visual C programs.

Software developers are supposed to provide the redistributable in their software to end users if they want their software to work. The redistributable is currently free. Most commercial games over the years had this redistributable or link in their installation programs.

TR builders should include in the minimum a readme file of how to get the redistributable (to prevent a crash or get the game to work) if they don't want to add 15 MB (redistributable) to their download file or register with Microsoft to provide it in the software.

And as a side note, all customlevels should have readme files about secret counts, the above info, known bugs (if known), etc. This has become sloppy in recent years. Note Vimmers' comments today about Fading Light 2 regarding secret counts. Too many current readme files are nothing but credits which most people have no interest in.

DJ Full
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by DJ Full » 06 Nov 2019 13:38

TombTitan wrote:
06 Nov 2019 13:22
You are making a mountain out of a mole hill, and showing the bad side of your personalities.
You just didn't...
woof