Pending Walkthrough Projects, thread #4

pending walkthroughs/walkthrough small talk

Moderators: Tinka, Phil

Phil
Mod
Mod

Re: Pending Walkthrough Projects, thread #4

Post by Phil » 13 Oct 2019 22:23

Whoever Igor is, he's done a good job thwarting all the cheating tools out there (except for the god mode patch, which no builder can thwart without changing Tomb Raider into something else entirely). The lack of a compass, besides being inconsiderate of the players (not to mention walkthrough writers), has heretofore posed little problem for me. Since the game "knows" where N is, all I've done in such cases is to find the first available block, climb up on it one side at a time, bringing up the small medipack and typing in the G-U-N-S code until the word "unlimited" shows up. Well, that doesn't work in The Myth of Khonsu. Maybe some other letter combination works, but I know when I'm licked. I'll endeavor to write a walk for Level 1, Part 1. If anyone else wishes to volunteer for one or more of the other parts, your participation will be appreciated.

Edit: Seeing no volunteers thus far, and having completed Level 1, Part 1, I'm moving on with Level 2 as of October 24, 2019.

Edit #2: Finished Level 2, moving on to Level 1, Part 2 on October 25, 2019.

Edit 3#: I feel like an idiot after reading Drakan's review. In my vain efforts to cheat by using all the extracurricular tools at my disposal, I neglected to try the most obvious one of all: type in the letters DOZY while in-game.

Mulf

Post by Mulf » 14 Oct 2019 13:18

I feel your pain, Phil; but I'm sorry, I couldn't possibly help here. I had a glance at the level the other day and determined fairly quickly that it was, let's say, not my kind of game...at all.

TombTitan

Post by TombTitan » 14 Oct 2019 15:09

The hardest part of this game is level 1 part 1 because you don't know what is going on and it is too dark. It is also too dark in level 2. Level 1 part 2 is the same place as part 1 so the darkness is not really a problem since you know exactly where to go and what to do at that point in the game. The game is not exactly linear in where to go, but it is in terms of puzzle results for the next move.

You do not need any cheat moves to play this game. More flares would be helpful, but the game should never have been that dark. It is simply sadistic to players what the builder did. Also, the builder made several places where players can reach dead ends and have to reload an earlier save. First, you can reach the scorpion battle without the wood piece. If you do then you have to reload a save before dropping to the scorpion area because the wood piece is required there to go to level 2 (and you don't know that you have a wood piece problem until after you kill the scorpion, and you can't go back up the high wall). Also, the results of the final boss battle in level 3 is partially random where the player can lose the game by not getting the lunar pearl, because you may kill the boss but the gate to the pearl doesn't open. Usually, it does, but sometimes it won't (it is supposed to open automatically by killing the boss). Thus, you have to reload a save from before entering the boss arena, and do it again. It doesn't matter how you kill the boss with different weapons, including the well-known demigod pistol trick.

You can kill the large scorpion exclusively with pistols, and that may be best because you would be wasting most of your ammo on that beast, and you need it later for other minor enemies and the final boss. But it can take up to an hour of real time to do it with pistols as you keep trying to lure it to you.

Once you find the aqua lung, it is then easy to explore underwater for the rest of the game. The timed runs and enemies are no harder than any other game. The final boss in level 3 is simply tedious but not hard to kill, and level 3 is not dark at all, but very colorful.

Most of the map descriptions can be handled as left, right, forward and back. It is clear where you have to go in the different rooms. The hardest part to map properly and solve is the the burning floor labyrinth puzzle (mostly because it it way too dark) which is really a 6 x (5 or 6) set of walk paths. Using DoggettTV's video you can determine the path (but not the rationale which somehow involves the ceiling symbols and the symbols on the colored high wall space after the monkey swing jump switch is used. DoggettTV did some of these things by trial-and error and not following what must have been the builder's suggested sequence of events. For instance he did the burning floor puzzle area before doing the monkey swing.

DoggettTV did his map2 puzzle in level 1 part 2 to open up access to the moveable block puzzle when it is probably supposed to be done in part 1. His map1 puzzle for level 2 will answer how to do that area of multiple underwater levers. Note the comments on it I made in the thread for level 2.

I am not up to writing walkthroughs, and I provided this info to make it easy for someone else to do it.

Phil
Mod
Mod

Post by Phil » 14 Oct 2019 16:37

Thanks, TombTitan. And here's some friendly advice for Igor. If you're thinking about putting out a revision to address the criticism you may have read in this and other threads...DON'T (unless it's merely to brighten things up or add some flares). Instead, take the criticism into account while compiling your next release.

DoggettTV

Post by DoggettTV » 17 Oct 2019 03:35

TombTitan wrote:
14 Oct 2019 15:09
The hardest part of this game is level 1 part 1 because you don't know what is going on and it is too dark. It is also too dark in level 2. Level 1 part 2 is the same place as part 1 so the darkness is not really a problem since you know exactly where to go and what to do at that point in the game. The game is not exactly linear in where to go, but it is in terms of puzzle results for the next move.

You do not need any cheat moves to play this game. More flares would be helpful, but the game should never have been that dark. It is simply sadistic to players what the builder did. Also, the builder made several places where players can reach dead ends and have to reload an earlier save. First, you can reach the scorpion battle without the wood piece. If you do then you have to reload a save before dropping to the scorpion area because the wood piece is required there to go to level 2 (and you don't know that you have a wood piece problem until after you kill the scorpion, and you can't go back up the high wall). Also, the results of the final boss battle in level 3 is partially random where the player can lose the game by not getting the lunar pearl, because you may kill the boss but the gate to the pearl doesn't open. Usually, it does, but sometimes it won't (it is supposed to open automatically by killing the boss). Thus, you have to reload a save from before entering the boss arena, and do it again. It doesn't matter how you kill the boss with different weapons, including the well-known demigod pistol trick.

You can kill the large scorpion exclusively with pistols, and that may be best because you would be wasting most of your ammo on that beast, and you need it later for other minor enemies and the final boss. But it can take up to an hour of real time to do it with pistols as you keep trying to lure it to you.

Once you find the aqua lung, it is then easy to explore underwater for the rest of the game. The timed runs and enemies are no harder than any other game. The final boss in level 3 is simply tedious but not hard to kill, and level 3 is not dark at all, but very colorful.

Most of the map descriptions can be handled as left, right, forward and back. It is clear where you have to go in the different rooms. The hardest part to map properly and solve is the the burning floor labyrinth puzzle (mostly because it it way too dark) which is really a 6 x (5 or 6) set of walk paths. Using DoggettTV's video you can determine the path (but not the rationale which somehow involves the ceiling symbols and the symbols on the colored high wall space after the monkey swing jump switch is used. DoggettTV did some of these things by trial-and error and not following what must have been the builder's suggested sequence of events. For instance he did the burning floor puzzle area before doing the monkey swing.

DoggettTV did his map2 puzzle in level 1 part 2 to open up access to the moveable block puzzle when it is probably supposed to be done in part 1. His map1 puzzle for level 2 will answer how to do that area of multiple underwater levers. Note the comments on it I made in the thread for level 2.

I am not up to writing walkthroughs, and I provided this info to make it easy for someone else to do it.
Sorry if I didn't help this time. However I made the puzzle of the moovable block in Part 2, because the Canopic Jar was needed. And the current Item is in the Boss Fight (Spider) of Part 1 and it's impossible to go back without having to go to Level 2

TombTitan

Post by TombTitan » 17 Oct 2019 11:45

The canopic jar is only needed to open the gate to the pushable block, and that occurs in part 2. It is not needed to do the switch puzzle in map2 to make the "push/pull" pathways and raising blocks available. The canopic jar has nothing to do with the room with the switches shown in map2, and the slot for the canopic jar is in the maze corridor at the start of the level (not in the switches room).

Most players will enter the room with the switches shown in map2 in part 1 of level 1, and the gate shuts behind them. Thus, it is necessary to do the first part of the map2 puzzle to open up the other exit gate leading to the canopic jar maze (that maze must be cleared in part 1). It seems appropriate to finish the rest of the map2 room switch puzzles at the same time and open up the 2 gates upstairs to make all pathways available for the pushable without having to go back to this room in part 2 (it also avoids switch confusion by players after a lengthy stay in level 2 and the long scorpion battle of part 1).

Phil
Mod
Mod

Post by Phil » 17 Oct 2019 12:28

Thanks for the insight, which will undoubtedly be helpful to the players. However, for the sake of consistency and to keep confusion to a minimum, if I wind up doing the entire written walkthrough I'll follow the sequence in DoggettTV's videos.

DoggettTV

Post by DoggettTV » 18 Oct 2019 04:13

Phil wrote:
17 Oct 2019 12:28
Thanks for the insight, which will undoubtedly be helpful to the players. However, for the sake of consistency and to keep confusion to a minimum, if I wind up doing the entire written walkthrough I'll follow the sequence in DoggettTV's videos.
I'm glad my videos help you Phil, thanks a lot :2thumbsup:

Phil
Mod
Mod

Post by Phil » 28 Oct 2019 16:57

Since I'm on a roll, and since no one else is jumping at the bit, I'll start on MBog's Ninja.

Dutchy
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by Dutchy » 29 Oct 2019 16:09

Never stop Phil when he's on a roll :lol:

Phil
Mod
Mod

Post by Phil » 29 Oct 2019 17:33

Okay, smarty pants, does that mean you're volunteering to cover DJ's new level?

Dutchy
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by Dutchy » 29 Oct 2019 17:40

Too busy testing something very special... :wink:

Had a look, nice challenge, I'll give it a go, Castle Rotenherringstein :2thumbsup:

Phil
Mod
Mod

Post by Phil » 29 Oct 2019 23:48

Dutchy wrote:
29 Oct 2019 17:40
Too busy testing something very special... :wink:
Don't keep us in suspense...

Dutchy
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by Dutchy » 30 Oct 2019 10:34

I will, involves something very nice, all I can say :lipsealed:
SpoilerShow
Fading Light 2, over at Michael's already

Dutchy
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by Dutchy » 05 Nov 2019 19:26

Wow...A Busload of new levels....

Walks are already done for:
Fading Light 2-Cowboy
Legacy of the Scion-Baslakor
Tomb of Toth-Dreamfall

And almost all of Hostile Waters-Sr Daniel Ponces, (but because we couldn't find our way out of the level at the end and we received no help by the builder, the walk is unfinished)