Lara at the Games - Kula World (Project Showcase)

questions/comments/screenshots

Moderator: Gerty

Alex Chap

Lara at the Games - Kula World (Project Showcase)

Post by Alex Chap » 30 Sep 2019 13:45

Hi everyone :)

After several years, I decided to show you a project on which I worked in the shadows since 2015. Unfortunately, as it comes very long, difficult to create and hard to play, I think the best thing to do with it is to showcase the proof concept.

So, as the title suggest, this levelset follows the Lara at the Games series, where in this case, we are in the Kula World game, a true gem for the PlayStation released in 1998.
The heart of the game is to collect keys and others objects to gain score and reach the exit, the character is a ball that can reverse it gravity in some circumstances.

I actually had successful results with the level editor, as with the gravity reversing and the programmation of the ton of other game elements, but the game is overally unintuitive and sometimes messy.

I might have 75 levels or something like that where the gameplay is programmed, but I don't think I could go further. Some elements could be still used to make a classical platforming game.

I might be able to show you some videos if you want to, it would be more revelant, but for the moment enjoy some screens. :)
Attachments
Capture d’écran (1407).jpg
Capture d’écran (1406).jpg
Capture d’écran (1399).jpg

ultraXgiotr99

Re: Lara at the Games - Kula World (Project Showcase)

Post by ultraXgiotr99 » 30 Sep 2019 17:50

Wow :-o I love Kula World PS1 game... was maybe the most difficult game I played when I was child.
Very interesting Alex :2thumbsup: looking forward for more news
The screens are...the same of the game :D

Alex Chap

Post by Alex Chap » 05 Dec 2019 15:45

Hello everyone, finally back with some news :)

Against all odds, I decided to release this custom levelset once it's finished with a special compilation of the original game's levels, so there will be like 70 playable ones. Currently, I'm still building and I will try to polish it as much as possible whether it's gameplay or graphics, I expect to release it in the first half of 2020, so it might come really soon. ;)

For the moment, I don't want to show that much because I want to keep at least some surprises, but I joined a picture with all the game's horizons adapted for Tomb Raider, they have each more than 1000 faces (!) and probably concerned almost 50% of the whole conception. :rj:

I know that I am a bit "special" when I'm building with the editor, and I don't know if it will be well received, but this project will probably not be my final breath and I'll try to continue working with this engine and improving the graphics, which I'm sometimes lacking.
Attachments
AllKulaSkyboxes.jpg

Titak

Post by Titak » 05 Dec 2019 21:09

I've never heard of this Kula World game, but it sounds very interesting. :D

Those horizons! :super:
May us mere mortals use them when you have released the game? :angel:
Nothing is in contradiction with nature,
only in contradiction with what we know of it.

Alex Chap

Post by Alex Chap » 05 Dec 2019 21:53

Thank you Titak, it's great to have your feedback ! :D
I hope this game can give a new experience to people who knows it or not. :)

I guess it would be okay to publish these horizons on trsearch, all the work could be very profitable, but I'm just a bit reluctuant as this game could lose its uniqueness. :(
I might consider this nonetheless as it's still from Kula World and not directly from me. :)