Ode to a Level Never Built.

stuck in a level/unofficial level editor

Moderators: QRS, Gerty

Storm Chaser

Ode to a Level Never Built.

Post by Storm Chaser » 09 Aug 2019 01:26

A Scottish Winter.

Castle in the snow with freezing water etc.

Basically finished but in testing and revision stage.

EDIT: Thanks to Phil for suggesting changing the thread title from “Current Project” to “Ode to a Level Never Built“.
Last edited by Storm Chaser on 12 Aug 2019 23:26, edited 1 time in total.

Storm Chaser

Re: Current Project

Post by Storm Chaser » 10 Aug 2019 00:13

So after a few hours playing through the level and noting and correcting any texture and object mistakes, I decide that one section would work better if it was a bit more exciting, so modify the section by building a flip room that involves blowing up a wall to progress. Room works well but somehow introduced a load of bugs elsewhere which is really annoying! So back to an earlier build save and try again, same problem but different bugs! So I think we’ll give up on the exploding wall for now and think of another way of spicing that section up. The joys of level building :D

Storm Chaser

Post by Storm Chaser » 11 Aug 2019 07:55

Hmmmm! It would seem that this level is plagued with bugs! Disappearing statics, flickering objects, non working triggers etc etc. So looks like we are going to have to strip out all the objects, statics and triggers and run through the “naked” level to check the basic architecture and then redo the objects etc. Oh well such is the joy of level building :D .

Storm Chaser

Post by Storm Chaser » 12 Aug 2019 18:28

Update. Removed all objects, statics, triggers and cameras and did a run through the bare level. Still has bugs! Rebuilt a couple of rooms without success so decided that this level is somehow “beyond redemption” as far too many bugs keep randomly appearing, so it’s now officially dead and in the recycle bin. Shame as I was rather pleased with the architecture and the atmosphere with the falling snow. I’ve had buggy levels before but never this bad.

Phil
Mod
Mod

Post by Phil » 12 Aug 2019 21:53

You could rename this thread Ode to a Level Never Built. I wonder how many other builders have endured similar experiences. Peter, I'd be interested to know your estimate of the total number of hours you invested in this now-abandoned project. It would give us mortal players some idea of the blood, sweat and tears that are required for the conception and successful execution of the many wonderful levels we've enjoyed over the years.

And here's a suggestion for whatever it's worth: I assume this project uses the TR3 engine, in keeping with your other recent releases. Instead of tossing all your hard work out the window, it may be productive for you to attempt collaboration with someone like Sabatu, who is thoroughly familiar with the engine and who may be able to help work out some of those frustrating bugs you've described.

Storm Chaser

Re: Ode to a Level Never Built.

Post by Storm Chaser » 13 Aug 2019 00:00

I’ve been building this level for about six weeks usually on Monday, Wednesday and Friday evenings for about 3 hours at a time, so that’s about 54 hours. TBH I’ve abandoned many levels over the years, usually because they don’t gel as a game or I’m not happy with the concept or I get bored with it. Rarely get a buggy one this bad.

Since starting building again last year I have started and abandoned 2 TR5 levels (crashes after a few rooms built), a TR3 Arctic level (was too boring), an Area 51 level (wasn't happy with it) and another castle (too boring).

I really enjoy building, so I’m not too bothered if it all goes pear shaped and if a releasable level emerges then all the better.

EDIT:

The way I build levels is to do the basic route (as with this abandoned level) which in this case was the 54 hours and then after testing and revising, add side rooms, extra bits, revise/improve the architecture, add the portals where you can see other rooms before you get to them etc etc and then play test it many times. So overall it can take well over 100 hours to build a finished level.

This level will be resurrected. Probably start again tomorrow.

Phil
Mod
Mod

Post by Phil » 13 Aug 2019 01:38

Bravo! A new suggested title: An Ode to a Level to be Built Come Hell or High Water.

Storm Chaser

Post by Storm Chaser » 13 Aug 2019 02:04

Phil wrote:
13 Aug 2019 01:38
:D :-D
Bravo! A new suggested title: An Ode to a Level to be Built Come Hell or High Water.
Wonderful 😎

Storm Chaser

Post by Storm Chaser » 17 Aug 2019 00:11

I’ve decided to postpone this for a while, as really don’t fancy starting it again for the time being.

Storm Chaser

Post by Storm Chaser » 21 Aug 2019 18:41

So today I’ve built a new object set and revised the textures and built the first room, so it’s up and running again. Let’s hope this one does not turn into another buggy nightmare. :-o

Storm Chaser

Post by Storm Chaser » 24 Aug 2019 01:02

Built quite a few rooms and no bugs so here’s hoping........

thewolf

Post by thewolf » 24 Aug 2019 14:10

What kind of bugs?

Storm Chaser

Post by Storm Chaser » 24 Aug 2019 15:01

thewolf wrote:
24 Aug 2019 14:10
What kind of bugs?
I had (in the original level) crashing to desktop when going from some rooms to other rooms, messed up end of level stats screen (unreadable), flickering statics, disappearing objects, triggers randomly not working etc. It was seriously messed up.

So far new version working fine.

thewolf

Post by thewolf » 24 Aug 2019 16:05

What editor are you using?

Storm Chaser

Post by Storm Chaser » 24 Aug 2019 16:29

DXTRE3D.