Reviews and level concept

helping builders & reviewers hone their skills

Moderators: QRS, Raymond, eTux, EssGee

Jorge22
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Re: Reviews and level concept

Post by Jorge22 » 12 Jul 2019 10:46

It was I who brought Dutchy to the thread for different reasons - like him being the first to be called a troll out of the blue - and (having not read the reviews at first and then only the ones to the last game) I thought it was him but I don't think Ryan even mentioned Dutchy. But why isn't the review clear, may I ask? The review says Ian and, from what I've just noticed, Orbit Dream's first name is Ian. So... Ian. The guy who ended his review with a hope. What exactly isn't clear?

And maybe Dutchy's name isn't even Ian and I just can't remember, for some reason I related Dutchy to the name Ian when Marksdad is Ian. Is Dutchy's name Ian? Lol. I don't think it is but my memory isn't how it theoretically used to be. -------------------- Ok, no, Dutchy's Andre! Oh well...

Anyway, little details aside, it is a referrence to Ian (aka Orbit Dream). Is that not clear? What is not clear? Gosh, so much sensitivity.

MichaelP
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by MichaelP » 12 Jul 2019 11:23

The thread is beginning to read a bit like a Monty Python sketch (Dead Parrot anyone? :D )

Jeff is actually passionate about trying to do the right thing (read reviews, try to learn from them and act accordingly ...), but then believes he is not getting the appreciation he would deserve for his efforts. And then reviewers are trying to "reason" with him and explain something that he does not want to be explained, so you will happily go in circles forever...

Hence, I would strongly recommend you end this discussion now and you simply have to agree to disagree and move on with your lives... :)

Marksdad
Mod
Mod

Post by Marksdad » 12 Jul 2019 11:26

Reading your posts, Jorge,is akin to reading a stream-of-consciousness monologue :)

Yup. Ian/Marksdad/OrbitDream are all Me.
I quite enjoyed the original version of Time Foregot,aside from the first two levels (which were a bit rough,imo);but the multi-level (12..?)adventure improved as it went along;and had quite a few good ideas - especially the way the player revisted previous levels,but from a different direction (for example,you can access areas that you previously saw,but couldn't reach).
To put Ryan's remark into context,I ended the review thus:
As I write this review,I notice that he has just uploaded an updated version (re- interpretation?) of this adventure...it will be interesting to see how that compares

Btw,Dutchy's first name is not Ian :-P

*Edit*
Michael posted while I was writing this.
Yes... definitely time to move on :lol:
Last edited by Marksdad on 12 Jul 2019 11:29, edited 1 time in total.

Jorge22
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by Jorge22 » 12 Jul 2019 11:28

You are right, Michael. In fact, I ended my debate with Jeff (that started with me not even remotely referring to his level and then being called a troll that was blocking his thread and whatnot plus the final straw) the worst way. I'm sure you understand I can't find that's within the boundaries of "normal".

Sorry I explained what you know. It's over. I want it to be. I do want to make it be.
Last edited by Jorge22 on 12 Jul 2019 11:36, edited 1 time in total.

Ryan
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by Ryan » 12 Jul 2019 11:28

Marksdad wrote:
12 Jul 2019 11:26
Reading your posts, Jorge,is akin to reading a stream-of-consciousness monologue :)

I quite enjoyed the original version of Time Foregot,aside from the first two levels (which were a bit rough,imo);but the multi-level (12..?)adventure improved as it went along;and had quite a few good ideas - especially the way the player revisted previous levels,but from a different direction (for example,you can access areas that you previously saw,but couldn't reach).
As I write this review,I notice that he has just uploaded an updated version (re- interpretation?) of this adventure...it will be interesting to see how that compares

Exactly right. Thanks for clearing that up. Maybe I should have used your nickname anyway and avoided all the confusion.

Jorge22
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by Jorge22 » 12 Jul 2019 11:30

Marksdad wrote:
12 Jul 2019 11:26

You're trying to make me laugh, Ian! :D

No, it's not. It's Andre. 8)

PedroTheGamer

Post by PedroTheGamer » 21 Oct 2019 17:07

@MichaelP why not accept my review of last level's I made it? The problem is my english or something? :|

TombTitan

Post by TombTitan » 28 Oct 2019 11:34

In the reviews for "The Myth of Khonsu" one reviewer wrote: "This level has been badly tested because .... and also think to remove the DOZY in the script to avoid cheating ... ".

It doesn't matter if players cheat with DOZY or not. These games are not roulette, poker, blackjack, lotteries, horse racing, etc. where money or prizes are involved. They are merely exercises of fun. In fact nearly EVERY commercial computer or video console game (not just Tomb Raider) has cheat codes, strategy guides, etc. to allow players to have the most enjoyable experience. Customlevels should be just as enjoyable for players. If players want to cheat, so be it---they merely hurt themselves, and NOT the builder of the customlevel.

It is hypocritical at best or sadistic at worst for builders to deprive players the use of DOZY when those same builders use external software to do much of the same exploratory actions as DOZY when they play someone else's level (as the reviewer did).

DJ Full
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by DJ Full » 29 Oct 2019 19:51

Not to mention dozy is often removed to avoid breaking the level.
So it's not for the purpose of "killing the fun" but for the opposite.
A player cannot know the reason so he/she shouldn't rate it.
woof

Jorge22
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by Jorge22 » 29 Oct 2019 22:07

I'm used to not having dozy. I don't even think about it.

Drakan

Post by Drakan » 30 Oct 2019 11:10

TombTitan wrote:
28 Oct 2019 11:34
In the reviews for "The Myth of Khonsu" one reviewer wrote: "This level has been badly tested because .... and also think to remove the DOZY in the script to avoid cheating ... ".

It doesn't matter if players cheat with DOZY or not. These games are not roulette, poker, blackjack, lotteries, horse racing, etc. where money or prizes are involved. They are merely exercises of fun. In fact nearly EVERY commercial computer or video console game (not just Tomb Raider) has cheat codes, strategy guides, etc. to allow players to have the most enjoyable experience. Customlevels should be just as enjoyable for players. If players want to cheat, so be it---they merely hurt themselves, and NOT the builder of the customlevel.

It is hypocritical at best or sadistic at worst for builders to deprive players the use of DOZY when those same builders use external software to do much of the same exploratory actions as DOZY when they play someone else's level (as the reviewer did).
oh but we're talking about me here
I told you why I used fexinspect (read again my post).
Putting dozy actived is a call to cheat. That's why it's better to disable. Why?
From the slightest problem (baddy, jump, lack of flares, etc. ..) the player will be tempted to use it (this is my opinion, certainly not yours, I know). Now if you want to leave DOZY activated, free to you, everyone does not necessarily agree with that.
I did not know it was you who did this level, so I gave this advice to the author who presented these levels in a disordonned order. I thought he did not despise the script, and did not know that we could disable the DOZY in the script. But you, for sure, you knew.
It is certain that if I had tested your level, I would have indicated to you all the problems encountered (especially the darkness, very frustrating). This level would have been much more pleasant to do.
I've been playing for 23 years, I'm not too bad (bad not sure of the translation), but certainly not as good as you, but it does not matter (I will survive)
I ask to Michael to delete this review.
End of the discussion for me
Jorge22 wrote:I'm used to not having dozy. I don't even think about it.
yes Jorge, but I tested many levels and it's almost the first thing I do when I play a level
Last edited by Drakan on 31 Oct 2019 11:12, edited 1 time in total.

TombTitan

Post by TombTitan » 30 Oct 2019 11:40

I am not the builder of the level, and I have never built a TR customlevel.

DJ Full
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by DJ Full » 30 Oct 2019 23:44

Drakan wrote:
30 Oct 2019 11:10
Putting dozy actived is a call to cheat.
Depends on the player. Some will do it, some will ignore it. Some will try both ways.
woof