TR4 & Ultrawide Resoltuion

PC problems/recommendations

Moderators: MichaelP, Tinka

thestig

TR4 & Ultrawide Resoltuion

Post by thestig » 01 Mar 2017 01:05

Hi folks

I've recently taken delivery of a Ultrawide (21:9) 3440x1440 display. Unfortunately I quickly realised (as I'd also discovered in my 4k laptop), that the TR4 engine struggles to cope with anything much above full HD resolution of 1920x1080, often resulting in a failed to set-up direct x message.

Anyway after some experimentation I managed to use the dgvoodo2 wrapper to get TR4 to run at 3440x1440, and also successfully used the widescreen patcher from http://tombraiders.net/stella/downloads/widescreen.html to manually set the camera distance & aspect ratio to work when playing Alphonse's Zipangu.

Unfortunately the patcher doesn't appear to work on the newer exe that's bundled with Owin's -ThePalatiumOfAnkh, with my camera distances & aspect ratio's remaining unchanged. It does appear to recognise the ultrawide aspect ratio fine, but it's far too closely zoomed in on Lara. Does anyone know if any camera adjustment ins possible in the later version of the engine?

Thanks

Stiggy

Phil
Mod
Mod

Re: TR4 & Ultrawide Resoltuion

Post by Phil » 23 Feb 2019 15:11

I didn't want to start a new thread, and this one seems best to fit my situation.

I haven't made any changes in my settings, but since playing Secret of Mount Parnassus the textures in any level I play are grainier and less sharply defined than before. This is especially noticeable in cases of onscreen text. I've played around with the setup panel, but nothing seems to make any difference. Any tips?

Jorge22
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by Jorge22 » 23 Feb 2019 17:02

Listen, Phil! Heyyyyy! Right on the spot!

I've been speaking of exactly the same in the thread just below this one. I have every possible drive up to date but still the very same thing happened to me. It is weird as hell, you know, weird, really weird.
That's what I'm speaking of: TR1-ish textures in a game (neon God, in my case) that was perfectly normal before that.

So... if nobody cares, at least I'm sure you do.

I don't have a solution. :(

Windows Defender had considered the exe was some Trojan. I don't know. I moved it back. After a while here you start believing it's all good lest you're paranoid.

Still I must add neither Avast nor Malwarebytes nor tssdkiller found it to be a threat.

But yes indeed: it could hardly get stranger than that. Grainier textures, yes. TR-1 textures, full of small coloured squares and all that.

Phil
Mod
Mod

Post by Phil » 23 Feb 2019 17:49

Based on the limited facts now in evidence, the finger of guilt appears to be pointed at Secret of Mount Parnassus. The graphics in all levels I've played since then are identical to the TR1 effect you get in Parnassus.

Jorge22
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by Jorge22 » 23 Feb 2019 18:15

I would have to tend to agree... So, how do we fix it other than by reformatting?

------------

Somebody... Sabatu? Paolone?

OverRaider

Post by OverRaider » 23 Feb 2019 18:20

how about uploading the pic of your setup
Where is no challenge there is a boredom

TombTitan

Post by TombTitan » 23 Feb 2019 20:25

The Secret of Mount Parnassus is positively a problem as Phil suggested. Yesterday, I was playing Ynys Witin 1 and Malware stopped the game saying there was a problem and permanently blocked the game directory address. I moved the game to a new directory and it played fine to the end. However, it was not Ynys Witrin that was really the problem. [This is another reason why I have said in the past that these customlevels should NEVER be installed in a Microsoft created windows directory such as My Documents, etc. Fortunately, I have always installed these games in a custom directory that I create, since the days of WIN98.]

After Ynys Witrin 1 was blocked, and before I continued it in a new directory, I ran a complete Malware Scan on the computer, and Sabatu's game tomb.exe was declared a very serious virus Trojan and it was removed from the computer. No other tomb raider customlevel was flagged. I had already played Sabatu's game last week, and Sabatu's game was stopped once while playing, but I was able to get back to it then. However, yesterday's Malware scan continued to declare this a bad level.

I don't want to assign blame to Sabatu, because he may have innocently infected his download file (the revised corrected version) with malware that was in his computer's memory. This malware is presumably triggered while playing the game with windows' run.dll and tomb.exe processes.

TRLE.NET and other host sites that receive the files directly from the builder should start scanning each new download for not only viruses, but malware. And these scans should be on the files INSIDE the zips or rars. That should help reduce the problem.

NOTE: I did not have the graphics problems Phil encountered after playing Secret of Mount Parnassus. Osvaldo's Tomb of Lud played fine in terms of graphics as did Ynys Witrin.

Phil
Mod
Mod

Post by Phil » 24 Feb 2019 00:23

OverRaider wrote:
23 Feb 2019 18:20
These are my setup specs:

Output Resolution is 800x600 16 bit

Texture Bit Depth is 16 bit RGBA 5337

Hardware Acceleration is checked

No FMV is checked

Emergency Settings are disabled

I'm now playing Bigfoot's level, and I feel a bit cheated because I can't enjoy the gorgeous surroundings in their intended splendor.

Jorge22
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by Jorge22 » 24 Feb 2019 01:02

I hear you.

I must say I thought Sabatu's level (which I haven't been playing only because I don't want to play two different levels simultaneously) was a TR1 miracle, if I can put it that way. Still... if there's nothing wrong it clearly seems like there is.

I just got back home and it's late-ish, so I 'll tell you my setup when I can but I fail to see how that might help.

OverRaider

Post by OverRaider » 24 Feb 2019 06:23

Phil wrote:
24 Feb 2019 00:23
OverRaider wrote:
23 Feb 2019 18:20
These are my setup specs:

Output Resolution is 800x600 16 bit

Texture Bit Depth is 16 bit RGBA 5337

Hardware Acceleration is checked

No FMV is checked

Emergency Settings are disabled

I'm now playing Bigfoot's level, and I feel a bit cheated because I can't enjoy the gorgeous surroundings in their intended splendor.
Output resolution should be the same as is your monitor resolution and I believe that your monitor resolution is bigger than 800x600
Bilinear filtering should be checked too
Where is no challenge there is a boredom

Phil
Mod
Mod

Post by Phil » 24 Feb 2019 13:38

Checking bilinear filtering seemed to do the trick in Bigfoot's level, so thanks very much for that.

However, Osvaldo's Temple of Seth, which has been installed on my computer for more than a month, was similarly affected and it appears not to have a setup feature. Is there something I can do there, or will it be necessary to reinstall that game?

Ryan
Keen Eye of the Week
Keen Eye of the Week

Post by Ryan » 24 Feb 2019 14:07

If you still want to give the setup thing a go, then this might work for the Temple of Seth:
  • Right click on the tomb4 exe.
  • Select Create Shortcut.
  • Right click on the shortcut and select Properties.
  • In the Target box, after "Tomb4.exe", type - setup (as is, without quotes) then apply the changes.
When you go onto the shortcut, the setup should come up and you can use the options that OverRaider mentioned. Not sure how well it will work for the Temple of Seth though, as it's a dark game.

vimmers
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by vimmers » 24 Feb 2019 14:48

ryan
everytime
you run a trle setup no matter which one you use
it changes the setup of every trle level you play
cos there are only one instance in registry
aka HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Core Design\Tomb Raider Level Editor
if you could set it of each level you play
it would be something like this
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Core Design\Tomb Raider Level Editor\Temple of Seth
i am not sure about it can be done in the registry

Phil
Mod
Mod

Post by Phil » 24 Feb 2019 14:53

I appreciate all this information, much of which goes over my low-tech head. However, the important thing is that playing Secret of Mount Parnassus changes the settings for at least some of us, and there should be a warning about this on the info screen at trle.net.

Jorge22
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by Jorge22 » 24 Feb 2019 18:58

Right.

I did as Ryan said and created a shortcut inside which I can find some comsetup.dll file or something but I can't open it. Ok, maybe I'm doing something wrong there... Besides that, if I click on control while starting the game instead of going to the setup it starts the game from the first level (I'm speaking of Neon God).