Problem with Rufierto's Return... - Dutchys Rescue

PC problems/recommendations

Moderator: Tinka

Phil
Mod
Mod

Re: Problem with Rufierto's Return... - Dutchys Rescue

Post by Phil » 31 Aug 2018 19:23

For the record, Oasis of the Primordials has exhibited the same symptoms as did Dutchy's Rescue, requiring the same elaborate fix for me to be able to play it.

Jorge22
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by Jorge22 » 31 Aug 2018 20:58

It's not at all like I spend my time playing TR but so far, after having finally spoken with Avast, I didn't get any more issues (except for things that have no connections whatsoever with the AV program, like the odd freeze or the screen going black occasionally when I try to start, that kind of annoyance).

Mazeh

Post by Mazeh » 03 Oct 2018 05:38

Phil wrote:
31 Aug 2018 19:23
For the record, Oasis of the Primordials has exhibited the same symptoms as did Dutchy's Rescue, requiring the same elaborate fix for me to be able to play it.
Yes, I think that it was at this game, Oasis of the Primordials, that I found the same problem, but with a difference: I couldn't download the game, so I deactivated AVG in order to do it... and the download was blocked by Google Chrome, the navigator I was using. The thing gets stranger and stranger, for this has nothing to do with antivirus, isn't it?
By the way, Phil, in the end I gave up Dutchy's Rescue. These fixes are too much for me... more the pity.

Phil
Mod
Mod

Post by Phil » 03 Oct 2018 13:09

Dutchy's Rescue was the first release to exhibit this problem for me, but now it's happening almost routinely. AVG has balked at all of the ORC levels I've tried to download from trle.net at home. I'm even having similar problems with the more sophisticated antivirus software we use at the office. For some reason, when I download from the Hungarian site I don't get these violent reactions. I have no idea why there should be a difference between the two sites, as we're downloading the same files. Aren't we?

Phil
Mod
Mod

Post by Phil » 04 Nov 2018 13:01

I'm bumping up my previous post, because I'm now experiencing the same thing with Search for the Lost Gold Hand (Demo) that I did with Dutchy's Rescue and many later levels. We really need an answer as to why some antivirus programs (AVG, for example) will allow downloads from the Hungarian site but not from trle.net. A fix of some kind is called for.

jeff sadler

Post by jeff sadler » 12 Nov 2018 14:04

I have been watching this this space, and now downloaded the game and Copied it to my computer.
I started the game pressing Ctrl as it started, the game give me the setup options, I only change the 640 + 480 16 bit to 32 bit.
I was going to disable the hardware option as I do with TR3 but did not, and the game started ok and I'm playing the game, I know its early but I personally I do not like it as it hurts my hands arthritis doing the jumps.
The computer I downloaded on, run ESET Endpoint antivirus, and it is a public computer so I had to copy the file and take it home and copy to my computer.
However the only warning I got was the file is from a unknown computer and windows need me to OK the file before copying it to my computer.
At one point window slowed downloading, but did download the file to my computer as I said I'm now playing the game.
Hope this is of help to find the trouble.
Happy Raiding,
Jeff sadler

Jorge22
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by Jorge22 » 13 Nov 2018 11:30

This isn't just about Rufierto's level anymore but about the fact that trle is under attack and nobody seems to care.

Wanna hear something really, really weird ? Ok, then...

Yesterday, I could play The Lost Castle. Today I can't. It gets quarantined over and over.

If I examine its tomb4.exe file at Virus Total, it comes out as clean for Avast and basically for almost every AV engine. Here's a link to the analysis, just so you can check: https://www.virustotal.com/#/file/3f281 ... /detection . Do not worry, I'm not a hacker, you may click the link blindfolded.
Even stranger: after I turn off both the files and behaviour shields within Avast it still gets quarantined.

It can't get any sillier, to say the least.

I already contacted Avast.

And then suddenly the exe decided not to be quarantined (at least once). Don't even ask....... :rolleyes5:

jeff sadler

Post by jeff sadler » 13 Nov 2018 13:54

Good Day
I did point out that.
However the only warning I got was the file is from a unknown computer and windows need me to OK the file before copying it to my computer.
At one point window slowed downloading, but did download the file to my computer as I said I'm now playing the game.
I think you are going in the wrong direction, its not your anti-virus, its MS Windows.
You see, the computer I loaded to has no anti-virus loaded not even MS Defender.
But windows XP stop the download and blocked me asking for me to OK the download as it was from an Unknown computer, an Unsafe source.
Hope this is of help to find the trouble.
Happy Raiding,
Jeff Sadler

Jorge22
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by Jorge22 » 13 Nov 2018 15:42

Yes, but I had no trouble downloading plus it is Avast that quarantines the exe.

Still, do add a few different protection layers to your PC before you regret it (I don't mean different antivirus programs, different things actually such as an antivirus, Malwarebytes, Panda Cloud Cleaner and tdsskiller just for rootkits). They've saved my computer from God nows what - I mean the source - a few times. Just some friendly advice. :)

jeff sadler

Post by jeff sadler » 14 Nov 2018 12:58

Dear friend and friends.
Thank you for the friendly advice Jorge22.
I have had two computers burned out using the internet gaming site.
Your way to protect your self, will slow down your computer, and cost you lots of money.
I have found that Clonezilla (free software) is the best way to protect my operating system, and backing up my work to disk or UBS key, not to the computer is the best way to go.
The cyber trolls can smash my operating system, I just format the drive and load the original copy using my clone drive.
For years I have run internet campaigns to protect kids on line, so dealing with troll attacks and cyber bullies is normal for me.
Thank you and happy raiding.
jeff sadler
PS, using the words (happy raiding) may set off alarms to the authorities and they may think we and the web site are terrorists.

Jorge22
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by Jorge22 » 14 Nov 2018 13:10

Lol.

No, I meant free versions, I never pay for anything on the web unless I buy something from an online store which is a totally different department.

There is a free version of Avast. There is a free version of Malwarebytes. The other two are free.

The difference between the free versions and the ones that you have to pay for, the main difference besides not having a few features (especially on Avast), is you don't have it scanning while you're on the net. Everything is manual. You have to pay attention. You have to kind of do it yourself. But it's all free and very useful - if you use it, that is.

Happy raiding to you too. :)