Moderators: Tinka, Phil

SuzanneJack
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Re: Pending Walkthrough Projects, thread #4

Post by SuzanneJack » 10 Jul 2018 19:43

Phil wrote:
09 Jul 2018 12:41
I twitch every time I force myself to watch someone stumbling in a clueless manner through a level, jabbering to himself as he makes one wrong turn after another.

We have somewhat of a backlog at the moment, so I'll start on The Lost Trident.
Doggett & Nora on you tube is way better! I don't like watching playing blind in a video.

Phil
Mod
Mod

Post by Phil » 10 Jul 2018 20:33

SuzanneJack wrote:
10 Jul 2018 19:43
I don't like watching playing blind in a video.
I play blind quite well on my own. What's the point of watching someone else do it?

Dutchy
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by Dutchy » 11 Jul 2018 08:49

Seems tot be fun...

Tolle87

Post by Tolle87 » 11 Jul 2018 11:54

I totally understand not watching such videos and I understand not seeing the point in them. What I don't understand is why being so bothered by the fact that there are people who do watch them.

For example, I don't watch cricket. But that doesn't mean I would search for cricket videos just so I can ask the uploader why he's playing it.
A man who introduced me to Lara back in 1996, more than a friend, my second father....
Dusan "Dule" Petrovic (1965-2018)

Phil
Mod
Mod

Post by Phil » 11 Jul 2018 14:11

I agree that it's time to stop picking on poor babbling adrielvicio. The point I've been trying to make all along is that a walkthrough (written or visual) should be a tool to assist any player who finds himself stuck in a level. You wouldn't want to pull up one of my walkthroughs to read something like this: "Pull the timed switch and quickly run E - no, maybe it's W - to the raised block and hop onto the left corner - darn it, on second thought it might be the right corner..." You get the picture. Sure, I don't have to watch adrielvicio stumbling about (and I don't), but unless he's willing to invest the time and discipline necessary to produce polished videos such as the ones Doggett D. McDog and others provide, my feeling is that he shouldn't post them on YouTube. Or at the very least, that he should keep his mouth shut while he's making them.

Tolle87

Post by Tolle87 » 11 Jul 2018 16:26

Phil wrote:
11 Jul 2018 14:11
The point I've been trying to make all along is that a walkthrough (written or visual) should be a tool to assist any player who finds himself stuck in a level.
Totally agree on that! However, the point I've been trying to make all along is that his videos are NOT walkthroughs.
Phil wrote:
You wouldn't want to pull up one of my walkthroughs to read something like this: "Pull the timed switch and quickly run E - no, maybe it's W - to the raised block and hop onto the left corner - darn it, on second thought it might be the right corner..."
True, I wouldn't, because that would mean you lied when you titled it "Walkthrough" and your point would be 100% correct if Adrielvicio titled his videos like that. On the other hand, if you were my beta tester, your sentence would be exactly what I expect as a useful feedback. As much as Adriel's videos are useless for players who got stuck and want help, Doggett's videos are equally useless for the builders who want to see free authentic playing experience so they can see all the level flaws.

Feel free to ask majority of the builders to choose which videos of their level they enjoy more - The ones from Adrielvicio or the ones from Doggett.

I do understand your point and I do appreciate your huge effort to provide the players with top-quality walkthroughs, so therefore I understand your disapproval of his videos IF he intended them to be a walkthroughs. All I'm saying is that thing he does is a very common thing and there are THOUSANDS of people who do blind playthroughs and publish them (or play live), so apart from the fact that he doesn't speak English, there is nothing that differs him from any of them.
A man who introduced me to Lara back in 1996, more than a friend, my second father....
Dusan "Dule" Petrovic (1965-2018)

TombTitan

Post by TombTitan » 11 Jul 2018 16:53

Adrielvicio's videos are very helpful when they are the only game in town (when nobody else has bothered to make a walkthrough). I have found them extremely useful, and as several people have pointed out, they are merely captures of experiences playing the game---and not intended as polished walkthrough documentaries or such. It would be a huge mistake if they disappeared when there is no alternative. You can always turn the sound off if you find it annoying. Youtube is a place where anybody can post videos on any appropriate subject. It is not a reference library. Also, more importantly, more than 50% of the people who play the customlevels are not members of trle.net. They merely download the files from the places where they are available such as treditor.hu, etc., and play them.

Phil
Mod
Mod

Post by Phil » 14 Jul 2018 15:45

I'll hold my nose and get started on A Time Foregot.

SuzanneJack
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by SuzanneJack » 16 Jul 2018 21:54

Well, If I need a video, I want to know what to do or how to make a jump. Not watch someone that has no idea how to play the game and have to yell at the screen and say just go left! I already did that part. And wait for them to figure it out :angry: I don't care who likes my post!

SuzanneJack
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by SuzanneJack » 16 Jul 2018 21:59

Phil wrote:
I agree that it's time to stop picking on poor babbling adrielvicio. The point I've been trying to make all along is that a walkthrough (written or visual) should be a tool to assist any player who finds himself stuck in a level. You wouldn't want to pull up one of my walkthroughs to read something like this: "Pull the timed switch and quickly run E - no, maybe it's W - to the raised block and hop onto the left corner - darn it, on second thought it might be the right corner..." You get the picture. Sure, I don't have to watch adrielvicio stumbling about (and I don't), but unless he's willing to invest the time and discipline necessary to produce polished videos such as the ones Doggett D. McDog and others provide, my feeling is that he shouldn't post them on YouTube. Or at the very least, that he should keep his mouth shut while he's making them.
:2thumbsup: I agree!

SuzanneJack
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by SuzanneJack » 16 Jul 2018 22:01

Phil wrote:
14 Jul 2018 15:45
I'll hold my nose and get started on A Time Foregot.
where is this level?

Ryan
Keen Eye of the Week
Keen Eye of the Week

Post by Ryan » 16 Jul 2018 22:20

It's here. :D

SuzanneJack
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by SuzanneJack » 16 Jul 2018 22:32

Thanks Ryan! :angel:

Doggett D. McDogg

Post by Doggett D. McDogg » 17 Jul 2018 01:57

Aldrevicio makes blind videos and plays on his own and for fun ^^
Instead, I cut the videos to create walkthroughs.
I and Aldrevicio are totally different. We have a completely different way of recording :)
everyone is free to play as he wants, without rules ^^

vimmers
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by vimmers » 17 Jul 2018 06:05

of course they are free to do whatever they want
but i really don't see the fun in trying the same and the same
maneuvering and not realizing that it's not the way to go
and I can not see that it's fun to cheat
with bugs
while you record it all