The Secret Temple of Karnak

questions/comments/screenshots

Moderator: Gerty

Phil
Mod
Mod

The Secret Temple of Karnak

Post by Phil » 15 Feb 2018 20:25

This is an old level that probably isn't played much anymore. However, it suffers from what has been called the "ladder bug," where Lara gets on a ladder only to freeze in place. Since none of the early reviews mention this issue, I suspect it results from improper compilation of the game files to present us with a playable level. If so, someone with the requisite know-how could fix the problem in a jiffy.

Ryan
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Re: The Secret Temple of Karnak

Post by Ryan » 15 Feb 2018 20:33

Phil, I think I encountered that issue when playing another older level (The Secret of the Desert Temple) and the only way I could bypass that was to get into the very left or right corner before climbing up the buggy ladder and then climbing painstakingly up without Lara having her legs on the ladder (or possibly DOZYing). If you are still interested in playing the level, you might want to try that, but I can't help with the LE side of things as my knowledge is fairly nonexistent on that subject.
Last edited by Ryan on 16 Feb 2018 01:22, edited 1 time in total.

Treeble
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Post by Treeble » 15 Feb 2018 22:16

Hm, reviews from 2009 onwards state the ladder bug. When did the mass tr4 conversion began? I thought it wasn't until late 2015~. Anyway, I do have the original release and it's a standard karnak.tom file (readme is only in French though, but I'm not seeing anything technical through my ignorant eyes). I'll try converting it on my end and see how it turns out. It's a 2002 release I haven't played yet, I'd be getting to it soon-ish anyway. :)

Treeble
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Post by Treeble » 15 Feb 2018 22:31

Ok, I am not entirely sure of what the original issue was but the very first ladder I came across seems to work ok. Yay? Technically it could be a problem with a specific ladder in the game (I know slopes make for touchy ladders, for instance)...

Anyway, I've uploaded this recompiled karnak.tr4 file here (look for the download icon on the top right corner of the screen). Your old saves might crash the game, Phil, but give it a try before starting anew anyway...

I'll try to play through the entire level before the weekend is over, then report to Michael in case it's a suitable replacement. :)

Mulf

Post by Mulf » 15 Feb 2018 23:10

Alright, then I’ll go check whether the ladder problem in The Secret of the Desert Temple is caused by missing animations (which would warrant a re-up) or by some builder’s error (which wouldn’t).

Edit: It’s missing animations. Watch this space.

Edit2: The level is such an early one that I needed to go only to CD #3 of Gerty’s collection to find the original download. :)
Here it is, newly compiled from the original .TOM with the updated Karnak wad (full download, audio and all): https://www.sendspace.com/file/fprumw

Edit3: I’ve played the updated version of the level through now, and it works fine. Message sent to MP.
Last edited by Mulf on 16 Feb 2018 19:01, edited 2 times in total.

Mulf

Post by Mulf » 16 Feb 2018 00:10

Treeble wrote:
15 Feb 2018 22:16
When did the mass tr4 conversion began? I thought it wasn't until late 2015~.
Way off the mark, Treeble :D :
MichaelP wrote:
27 Jul 2009 07:53
SAS Base has already been covered by now as part of the current effort to convert ALL levels to TR4 files...

Phil
Mod
Mod

Post by Phil » 16 Feb 2018 18:54

Treeble wrote:
15 Feb 2018 22:31
Technically it could be a problem with a specific ladder in the game...
As I recall, there are three ladders in the game, and all suffer from the bug.

And thanks to Ryan and Treeble for the encouragement, but I never let anything like a li'l ol' ladder bug deter me. I simply flew up the ladders and went on my merry way. Level completed and reviewed.

Treeble
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Post by Treeble » 16 Feb 2018 20:47

That works too, I suppose. Still, it's good you brought this up as other potential players might not be so... resourceful. ;)

Mulf wrote:
15 Feb 2018 23:10
Here it is, newly compiled from the original .TOM with the updated Karnak wad
How ironic that both levels use the Karnak wad. And both are titled 'The Secret', hm... :D

I stand corrected regarding the mass conversions! May have mistaken it for the proccess of making everything unpack-and-play.

Mulf

Post by Mulf » 16 Feb 2018 20:59

Treeble wrote:
16 Feb 2018 20:47
How ironic that both levels use the Karnak wad. And both are titled 'The Secret', hm... :D
In my note to the big M, I made sure to point out that they are in fact two different levels. :D
Treeble wrote:
16 Feb 2018 20:47
I stand corrected regarding the mass conversions! May have mistaken it for the proccess of making everything unpack-and-play.
Isn’t that the same thing? :huh:

Treeble
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Post by Treeble » 16 Feb 2018 21:42

At some point levels were uploaded as released by the builder, ie with all wad files, sometimes even prj files only. Ah, the days of dial-up internet. Eventually the whole tom2pc step was removed and levels were reuploaded as ready tr4 files.

As of 2012 (I think), they all come with any audio tracks and the executable as well, makes them infinitely easier to play but does sacrifice the 'hoarding' factor as we're essentially stashing away lots of repeated files. Though I guess I'm probably one of the few who actually (tries to) keep an archive of custom levels. Well, everything Tomb Raider actually. :p

Scottie
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by Scottie » 17 Feb 2018 02:16

This are two different things. Back in 2009 (was it 2009? I'm not sure) we have converted all Levels without tr4-files to levels with tr4-files. In 2012 we have packed all non Stand Alone Levels to Stand Alone Levels. Therefore the Mistake was made in 2009 and not in 2012. I would say it has something to do with these revised and non-revised Wads
Resistance is futile

Mulf

Post by Mulf » 17 Feb 2018 03:42

Thanks for your replies. I can see clearer now. :)