ATTN: TR1 custom levels on Windows7 without Dosbox

stuck in a level/unofficial level editor

Moderator: QRS

Treeble
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

ATTN: TR1 custom levels on Windows7 without Dosbox

Post by Treeble » 28 Feb 2016 15:06

Just a heads up that this is now a possibility! Someone (username barracuda415 on TRF) has been working on a neat wrapper for TR1 which takes advantage of an ancient official graphics patch and allows the game to run with a simple double click, provided you have all the proper files in the right places. Anyone up for a few try outs? I just tried Twin Hammer and Halcyon Ledge and it seemed to work fine in the 5 or so minutes I played, but I remember there were at least two different setups of Dosbox among the listed TR1 custom levels.

I'm running a Windows 7 64-bit machine and it works flawlessly for me, and the author says he's tested it on Windows 10 systems as well. According to his posts, there may be problems under Vista, but Windows 8 should work too.

I have uploaded a "kit" here with all needed files -- sans the soundtrack (there's a link within), though at this point I'm not sure any TR1 custom level will use any other than ambient BGM -- so if anyone is up to test things out, just download any custom level and move LEVEL1.PHD under the DATA\ directory.

GoogleDrive --> just click the download button on the top bar

Please post your compatibility finds here. Might be a good chance to look at those SFX-less levels as well. :)

Also, I know at least one the level kits currently on trle.net has an "empty" intro FMV. If anyone can remember which one, please let me know. Until then, please just skip the intro (replaced with Escape splash). Run tombati.exe and before starting a new game, flip to Detail Level and switch everything to the best settings (on/on/current desktop resolution). Here's a sample shot of The Halcyon Lodge in 'native' 1600x900 glory. :)

DJ Full
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Re: ATTN: TR1 custom levels on Windows7 without Dosbox

Post by DJ Full » 28 Feb 2016 15:41

:worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship:

EDIT:

Getting this:

Earlier the program asked for msvcp140.dll but I installed Visual C++ Redistributable (both x86 and x64) and that problem was gone.

EDIT: Switched from default video card to nvidia GPU and it launched.
MAKE WIDESHOT GREAT AGAIN

Treeble
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Post by Treeble » 28 Feb 2016 17:40

Yeah I just came back to say that. I was so excited to post about it I forgot vital details lol. :hammer:

The tool is called GLRage, more about it can be found here, including a link to Visual C++ Redistributable 2015 which is required. (I installed both x64 and x86 versions, I'm not much of a tech guy these days but it did the trick.) Also, it requires support for OpenGL 3.3. I don't know how to check that myself but from what I understand any card from 2010 or more recent is good to go.

https://github.com/ata4/glrage

More info is spread throughout this topic on TRF - http://www.tombraiderforums.com/showthread.php?t=212424

DJ Full
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by DJ Full » 13 Sep 2017 16:31

With this pack, levyhgb's Recovering the Scion - Part 1 & 2 crashes at climbing the sphinx in level 2.
Defo not the case with the standard download package, could you have an idea what could be the reason?

If it was TR4, I would assume a faulty portal to the upper room since the crash is at fixed elevation.
But it's TR1 so I know as little as nothing... I also contacted the author in case if it's a level issue.

Until tombati, could I get a reminder of any alternate way to make this playable with soundtrack?

Treeble
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Post by Treeble » 14 Sep 2017 00:15

Deja vu? :D

I haven't messed around with TR1 custom levels in a while (or any other sort, in all honesty), but I'd assume there might be a way to get the soundtracks working under the Dosbox bundle, otherwise that wouldn't have been the best fix for the original game at any given time.

DJ Full
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by DJ Full » 14 Sep 2017 07:16

Treeble wrote:
14 Sep 2017 00:15
Deja vu? :D
Worse. Back then I looked for this thread but found that one.
Now I looked for that thread and found this one.
I'm just designed to gather incompatibility issues :D Thanks :)

I already don't remember why we left that discussion cliffhanged.
Indeed the game can run in openlara, however not the offline one.
Also the web app doesn't load more than 1 level... and this one has 3.

So I guess it's not possible to somehow mount CD tracks in dosbox?
Until OpenLara or tombati works fine that would be the only way...

I thought dosbox has a mount cd command, there's just one issue:
for custom levels you would have to replace PHD in the CD image.
This, together with all regular files, only custom levels, would be read.
I already tried to edit the BIN and it seems to be impossible for mortals...
The thing is 600MB packed and loses 450MB when I try to convert it back...

I heard about a TR1 version which accepts iso, I could try it instead...
Do you, or anybody here, happen to have it or any link to it?

DJ Full
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by DJ Full » 16 Sep 2017 14:17

I've been tweaking a bit more. Apparently the solution is trivial but you need to stumble upon it:
no-CD patch from levy's folder + mixed mode audio cd image + dosbox imgmount command:

imgmount d ..\tombeng.cue -t iso -fs iso

This command, added to dosbox.conf autoexec lines, mounts the audio CD image.
So the audio is read from it while the no-CD patch reads data and fmv from the drive.
The trick is to keep the CD image in "mixed mode" even though you have only audios on it.

When I find an hour or two to replay this game I'll check which audios are used.
So I can limit the fake audio CD only to necessary files, and add to dl pack for music support.

Hehehe :)

DJ Full
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by DJ Full » 22 Sep 2017 18:23

Now I tried tombati with The Vagrant's Quintana Roo. It fails to load with:
"Tomb Raider Error"
"Attempt to download more than texture page limit"
Never seen that before. What does it mean?