Vista bad start-up

PC problems/recommendations

Moderators: MichaelP, Tinka

walter90

Vista bad start-up

Post by walter90 » 12 Feb 2011 18:57

My GF plays the TR4 levels and occasionally her computer will get hot, shut down, and when she tries to re-start it it gets to the black screen just before the log-on screen and hangs there.
I do the start-up repair program and it starts normally after that, but it has happened again. The only new thing she has been doing is playing TR4 but as Admin. I told her to make a limited account and play the game from there.
I'd like to know though, has anyone else had this problem?

She has a Compaq with Windows Vista.

Thanks!

daffy

Re: Vista bad start-up

Post by daffy » 13 Feb 2011 00:28

Hello,

A computer that heating is not a problem of admin or not, a game requires a lot of work resource for the processor and graphics card. A good dusting of chillers should fix the problem! :wink:
Thank you for excusing the poverty of my English, sometimes I have me even the trouble to understand me... ! :dunno:

vimmers
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by vimmers » 13 Feb 2011 02:34

now i cant translate what chillers are but i suppose u mean the heat fans on the CPU
and yes that can cause the problems
when u hare in there also dust off the the gpu fan
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FjToaUV5Tc
and actually a virus and trojan can also cause overheat

daffy

Post by daffy » 13 Feb 2011 15:50

vimmers wrote:now i cant translate what chillers are but i suppose u mean the heat fans on the CPU
That's what I wanted to explain! :D
Thank you for excusing the poverty of my English, sometimes I have me even the trouble to understand me... ! :dunno:

walter90

Post by walter90 » 13 Feb 2011 17:33

I get the heat part of it, and that seems reasonable since TR4 undoubtedly needs a lot to run but what would foul her start-up files? That's what's going on here.

daffy

Post by daffy » 13 Feb 2011 20:06

walter90 wrote:I get the heat part of it, and that seems reasonable since TR4 undoubtedly needs a lot to run but what would foul her start-up files? That's what's going on here.
If there are many softwares which launches at startup of the PC of course the resources they use will not be available for the game, This can cause problems of slow (this is especially true if your computer is a bit outdated (old)). For my part, I have rarely seen a computer heated (to the point of cut) for those reasons. For the sake of ventilation is common! :)

You tell you more difficult without knowing the configuration of the PC. :wink:

walter90

Post by walter90 » 14 Feb 2011 17:40

Her puter is fairly new. She got it last year. I have already used msconfig and shut off all un-needed start ups. Just the basic windows programs are starting up.
She does do Sorority Life and Frontierville and I was wondering if that stuff is interfering.
It doesn't always get too hot. Just occasionally.
Luckily she has the restore disk built into the puter.