Boris Samoilenko - Lara Croft Returns (TR3)

stuck in a level/unofficial level editor

Moderators: QRS, Gerty

Jorge22
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Boris Samoilenko - Lara Croft Returns (TR3)

Post by Jorge22 » 02 May 2010 19:06

I dosnloaded this game, which seems to be only available in its full version, which seems great. Anyway, after I completed the first Natla levels with the run for the rockets and all, I was taken to some place with snow, I even think I saw Northern Town or something although most of it is written in Russian (I did replace the files like it says to in the readme and I still get things in Russian). Thing is, I checked the walkthrough and according to it there should be some more levels in between. Am I playing a new version or something?

vimmers
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Re: Lara Croft Returns (TR3)

Post by vimmers » 02 May 2010 19:53

maybe u should dl them here
http://treditor.hu/english/5_regiek_eng.htm
scroll down to Boris Samojlenko
there are both a Russian and English and Hungarian
full zip file

eTux
Mod
Mod

Post by eTux » 02 May 2010 20:34

I haven't played the game, so someone who has might give a better answer - but as far as compilation goes - I haven't touched the scripts provided by the author, and as far as I understand people have successfully finished the game with dmdibl's mock-english scripts as well, so I don't know what to think of this.

If possible, I can only recommend to retry the level jump between the levels with both scripts and see if it makes a difference, if you haven't before.

dmdibl

Post by dmdibl » 03 May 2010 04:18

Jorge,

The game should start and you should see trains going by, and then Lara is standing in a train yard. That is level one.

There is sort of a finale with Natla and a rocket launch, but that is the end of Episode 2. Then the Northern Town (Lara by a red car) is in Episode 3. I'm not sure if you've played "The Old Factory" yet, one of my favorite levels in this series. Anyway, there shouldn't be any problem with the beginning, only when you have to choose Episode 2 or 3, you can go wrong.

There is a separate post in the Unofficial Levels Forum, which suggests playing in compatibility mode, set to Windows 98/ME. I'm not sure what's happening.

Jorge22
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by Jorge22 » 03 May 2010 12:15

Oh, ok, then I guess I must have played episode 2 thinking I was still playing episode 1 (but shouldn't there have been something in China in between?) - maybe my mistake. Thank you!

Anna27
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Post by Anna27 » 09 May 2010 12:36

Anyway, this was very good game. Really worth to play.

Jorge22
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by Jorge22 » 09 May 2010 13:34

Mystery (kinda) solved: as soon as I finished Finland, I appeared somewhere in China (I still don't know about the twins). Meaning, either the walkie's wrong - doubtful - or the game has been altered when the full version was published. You're right, it's a cool TR3 game... Obvious, if I've been playing it this far. Of course, maybe there should be the option of reviewing the full version instead of the separate versions one sees in the download pages.

vimmers
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by vimmers » 09 May 2010 16:23

well u now get 16 reviews in your count not only 1
:D

Jorge22
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by Jorge22 » 09 May 2010 18:26

Not really. Only 3. Still, I'm not counting and they seem a bit hard to rate somehow...

vimmers
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by vimmers » 09 May 2010 18:43

i mean when u are finished them all

Jorge22
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by Jorge22 » 09 May 2010 18:48

Yes, I know. But if you take a look, the levels are divided in three parts. Then, if you look at the walkthrough (which is the same, for the entire series, in any of the downloads - you can only download the full package, anyway), it may match the three downloads - even though it doesn't really mention where each of them starts and ends - but the full package is organized quite differently.

dmdibl

Post by dmdibl » 09 May 2010 22:23

It still sounds to me as though something is wrong. The game should start at the first level, the train station. Then you play several more levels, and then, AND ONLY THEN, should there be a choice--like in the original TR3, divided in India, London, Nevada... But as long as you choose correctly to get to level 5, which I think is the "Old Factory"--begins with Lara standing in a short corridor--there shouldn't be any deviation until level 9. So when you are given a choice, using left or right cursor to select, look to see where Lara ends up, and if it doesn't match the walkthrough, try again. "The Temple of the Twins," has Lara on a slope in a cavern and she soon comes to a big hole in the floor. "Northern Countries," has Lara in snow standing near a red car. I think those are the points where one can go wrong.

So if you want level 5, "The Old Factory," but Lara ends up in snow near a red car, try again.

Have you tried using my English TOMBPC.DAT?

Gerty
Mod
Mod

Re: Boris Samoilenko - Lara Croft Returns (TR3)

Post by Gerty » 09 May 2010 22:52

Oops, this one slipped through, moving it to the Unofficial forum.
Have you tried using my English TOMBPC.DAT?
Where can one find that or is it in the download?
Oops, I did it again... Image

dmdibl

Post by dmdibl » 09 May 2010 23:45

Location of English TOMBPC.DAT

In the Unofficial Custom Level Forum there is a post "Boris S. - Lara Croft Returns: problems + fix"

Go down to the last two posts. The next to last has the download for the English TOMBPC.DAT. The last post explains why the Cyrillic script makes entries look odd. For instance, "Railway Station," would have a "w" that looked like a Greek letter Phi. So I sort of finagled entries to look more like English, even using the Cyrillic alphabet embedded in the .TR2 data files. (TR3 still used .TR2 data files.)

eTux
Mod
Mod

Post by eTux » 09 May 2010 23:53

The updated download should include dmdibl's english script as well. Without having played the game, I can't really come to the rescue here and see what the problem is all about - but I'll attempt to do my best in the near future :?