Getting A Fresh Start...

builders help builders

Moderator: eTux

Mystery-King

Getting A Fresh Start...

Post by Mystery-King » 13 Dec 2009 09:18

OK, I've been building levels for about a year and thought I knew what I was doing, that was until my LE messed up and started chucking every error message in the book at me. Such as 'Arg List too big' and 'Can't find tomb.pcx' and blah blah blah. So I've tried deleting it and reinstalling but the problem still persists! I've tried suggested solutions and I've tried trrc.exe and it still happens! What can I do so I can change my laptop so it feels like I've installed it for the first time on it and not like 500th? :?

PS - While I'm writing this, how do I correctly install TREP and TRNG MK1? That might have something to do with it... :roll:

Thanx! :)

~ MK :D

Horus
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Re: Getting A Fresh Start...

Post by Horus » 13 Dec 2009 10:50

Is it asking for a pcx file while loading the textures? If so check if the full directory and file name of your tga (e.g. C:\TRLE\maps\mylevel\tomb.tga) contains any spaces (like ...\my level\tomb.tga). It is usually then that the editor asks for a pcx named like the tga ... and crashes. For whatever reason :anxious:

Mystery-King

Post by Mystery-King » 13 Dec 2009 11:05

Horus... I ABSOLUTELY LOVE YOU! :2thumbsup: I realised I called my main TRLE folder 'Tomb Raider Level Editor' WITH spaces which is why it didn't work! :lol: BIG HUGS! Thanks!

Until... the next bug that is. :blush:

inchdix

Post by inchdix » 13 Dec 2009 11:14

With the "arg list too big" error (a few others also pop up ater this) ....... just click on load tga in the editor panel, navigate to your tga file and select it. save your project and exit. when you reload your prj it should now auto load your tga too.

I dont know about trep, but trng would normally install to its own directory and you associate your TRLE folder with it during set-up. it will add a few things into the trle folder but should not move other things around or delete tga files .....

Mystery-King

Post by Mystery-King » 13 Dec 2009 11:57

Hmm... now everytime I convert my level it all goes fine. :D And when I play it, its fine. But when I go to the folder I have over 500 crash reports that say nothing! Everytime! What should I do?

inchdix

Post by inchdix » 13 Dec 2009 14:04

When you go to the folder ? ..... which folder? or do you mean open your level in the editor?

I guess we would need to know what some of the "crashes" or errors were at least .......

Raymond
Mod
Mod

Post by Raymond » 13 Dec 2009 15:42

How many times has this to be said: You can´t use the TRNG together with TREP! :roll: :roll: :roll: The latest NGLE prior to the TRNG is version 1.0.9.13 and this one is also the last, you can use together with TREP.
The Mk1-Installer is an simple, automatic intaller. So there is no How to...? with this one, except that you have installed the TRLE before. So just click on it and follow the instructions.

Mystery-King

Post by Mystery-King » 13 Dec 2009 18:15

OK, I won't use them together.

The crash reports appear in the main TRLE folder. They say absolutely nothing but my level doesn't crash or anything. They just appear from nowhere!

Raymond
Mod
Mod

Post by Raymond » 13 Dec 2009 19:07

Best ask Isis directly. She had this issue once. I believe, she could fix it.

Isis

Post by Isis » 14 Dec 2009 14:08

Well I didn't actually fix it as such, I just kept deleting rooms until it stopped producing the crash reports until I narrowed it down to one room. I deleted that room and it was fine. I'm not sure what was wrong with that room though.
Friends of Felines Rescue Centre http://www.ustream.tv/ffrc

Isis

Post by Isis » 24 Dec 2009 23:52

Strangely enough I've just had the same thing with a new project, there were only 3 rooms in it and yet it threw up all these empty crash reports. For some reason it seems to be room 0 that causes the problem, I deleted that room and it stopped the crash reports. There was nothing in the room at all, completely empty, not even any textures. But if I remember correctly it was room 0 in my earlier project that I had to delete . But why room 0? :?
Friends of Felines Rescue Centre http://www.ustream.tv/ffrc

Mystery-King

Post by Mystery-King » 26 Dec 2009 18:58

Dunno... but I'm using room 0 and its fine... for the moment.

An unrelated question - I've become captain of a team project and its a collection of short levels. Now I need to ask, Must everyone use the same LE version, or can one use TRNG MK1 and another use TREP yet I can still combine them? Also if they are submitting the level so they can all be combined by me, what must they send me for me to be able to do this?

Matie
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by Matie » 26 Dec 2009 19:24

Mystery-King wrote:An unrelated question - I've become captain of a team project and its a collection of short levels. Now I need to ask, Must everyone use the same LE version, or can one use TRNG MK1 and another use TREP yet I can still combine them? Also if they are submitting the level so they can all be combined by me, what must they send me for me to be able to do this?
I think it depends on what people want to use, because if someone uses TREP and someone else uses TRNG you won't be able to combine those levels. Both cases the tomb4.exes are patched, and it won't work if you try to run a TREP-patched exe with a TRNG-level, for example. But if you want to use TRNG Mk1 to combine the levels, older NG versions will work, however it's not the best solution. The best thing would be that everyone uses the same LE version, so there mustn't be any problems.

And they (/we :wink: ) must send the .tr4 file and the level script entry and english script. (Btw, the English script. If we want to change the name of an object, a puzzle item is a good example, we won't be able to use different names for the same item, it needs to be discussed)

bedazzled

Post by bedazzled » 26 Dec 2009 19:30

Matie wrote: we won't be able to use different names for the same item, it needs to be discussed)
Wrong each level has it's own section of script and puzzle items in the same puzzle item slot can have different names in each level. The only requiment is that each puzzle items name appears in the English txt file.
A well turned bottom is a beautiful thing to behold.
A well spanked bottom is a beautiful thing to be holding.

Matie
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by Matie » 26 Dec 2009 19:33

You're right, I didn't know that, sorry.