Lottery Prediction on C4 UK

off topic

Moderator: Marksdad

Howaito

Lottery Prediction on C4 UK

Post by Howaito » 09 Sep 2009 22:41

Surely anyone living in England has heard of Darren Brown appearing live on TV tonight to predict the lottery numbers before they are drawn. What do you think? Can he do it? Or is he full of it?

He seems awfully sure of himself, to go live on air and attempt it, but it seems a little fishy to me, for him to go on air at almost the same time as the lottery draw!

What will happen if he does do it though? What implications will it have? Perhaps it will cast doubt on the entire lottery system; people may think it is a fix. I personally think he will get one or two numbers through probability, not through ESP... Uri Gellar he aint! And he annoys the hell out of me.
The Cartoon World Returns March MMX

Jorge22
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Re: Lottery Prediction on C4 UK

Post by Jorge22 » 10 Sep 2009 16:25

He won't be able to do it. Too random.

Horus
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Post by Horus » 10 Sep 2009 16:51

I got curious and had a look on YouTube. It never fails to amaze me how those foul deceiving liars come up with their tricks they call mind-reading, magic or forseeing :annoyed:

Here's a split screen record.
I'd guess there's something wrong with his lotto balls. No closeup and we didn't see them before the numbers were announced. The balls could be modified in a way that they are able to display any number - there was enough time between the lottery draw and the reveal of his balls (*cough* :lol: ) for them to change into the numbers that were drawn.
I must say I'm rather disappointed :roll:

Marksdad
Mod
Mod

Post by Marksdad » 10 Sep 2009 17:13

He did a similar trick a year or two ago when he went on live TV and played Russian Roulette with a gun with one bullet in the chamber. He kept spinning the chamber and eventually put it to his head and pulled the trigger,only for nothing to happen.
It was later revealed that the programme had been edited and was not live at all;and that he had removed the bullet before pointing the gun to his head.
At the end of the day,he's a magician;and ALL magicians are con-artists (albeit affable and entertaining ones).

Howaito

Post by Howaito » 11 Sep 2009 03:38

Well, I don't personally believe he has any psychic power either. A man that annoying can't have any! I watched one of his shows and was ripping my hair out! Why must he shout so loudly when he has a microphone! You can see through most of his psychological tricks that way.

I must say Horus, it was a little bit fishy when he didn't come out and just say the numbers before they came up. Actually, I am so annoyed with myself for falling for his stunt to get back a little fame for his new show! I am going to do nothing but build and cut the power cord to my TV!

Was it really only two years ago Marksdad? It feels like 5! Too bad it WAS'NT loaded... :)

QRS
Admin
Admin

Post by QRS » 11 Sep 2009 03:59

Of course he have no magic powers. In all his tv shows and longer shows he clearly states that he use psychology, cold reading and all kinds of tricks that illusionists or "magicians" do. Nothing new and nothing supernatural.

Also, Darren Brown has always been an advocate for what he does is just tricks and not for real. He often explains how he can do stuff and the psychology behind it etc.

I love watching him, especially cause he is honest about it and not claiming to be more than he is. An artist with imense skills in his field. And good at making shows hehe.
What I love most about him though, is his skills with cards, which is seldom seen in the tv shows.

I remember seeing a documentary about that a a few years back..and he did a lot of card tricks in front of a camera and 2-3 people. After he explained everything and told the viewers to check back after they knew what he did etc. Even when you knew the tricks it was really hard to see it as he is so damn good at making you look in other directions etc. And all tricks were done so you could see them if you looked where you were supposed to look! I love that kind of stuff!

If he would claim that he has real magic powers I would lose the interest in him right away, that's for sure :lol:
Currently playing: Babylon Is Fallen

Howaito

Post by Howaito » 11 Sep 2009 05:03

I don't get the point of making a big hoo haa abouth his stunts since it is all staged...

It's like having live coverage of a dinosaur attack on the houses of parliament on channel 4 prime time and then saying it was actually CG. What is the point?

Oh, wait, promotion... :D

QRS
Admin
Admin

Post by QRS » 11 Sep 2009 05:52

Why go to to the cinema to see a movie even if you know it is not for real?

Same as for all kinds of shows or entertainment, it is fun to watch if you like that kind of stuff. Myself I have always been interested in these kinds of things. Especially if I understand or find out how things are done :D

Darren brown interest me a lot because he uses cold reading a lot and manipulation and psychology. But he does it in a fun and interesting way. I hate when people actually claim they have powers and use it to "summon" spirits or fake sceanses...which hurts people and is a big fraud :(
Currently playing: Babylon Is Fallen

Howaito

Post by Howaito » 11 Sep 2009 12:11

I don't go to the cinema. :-P

I used to be interested in that magician show from America, with that masked man and his glamorous assistant when I was younger, but I can't remember the name of it. It was mid 90s...

I must admit, I can't stand people who fraud people in that manner (cold reading) either. Everytime I visit my grandmother I have to sit through Crossing Over with John Edwards who obviously uses this kind of technique. I've read all about him and his 'trumpet' :annoyed: .
I guess Derren Brown just really irritates me for some reason. If he was more calm and relaxed maybe not. :anxious: