Moderator: eTux

QRS
Admin
Admin

Level editing problems: Vista vs XP

Post by QRS » 17 Aug 2008 02:28

On my new machine I have two problems when it comes to level editing:

XP:

Even with the new dual processor and a brand new graphics card, the rooms spin extremely slow with the objects and textures on etc. If not it goes too fast. I also seem to get the "spinning and it will not stop" kind of problem regardless of the speed. I had no such problem with my older PC (p4 2.8 ghz and a good graphics card for that pc)

Vista:

No problem at all with the slowdown nor the spinning! But...instead I get this irritating flickering when I build...so I can only see the surface where I will put the textures...like 50% of the time...so I have to spin and zoom, use the "hide object" button etc. to make it work :(

I have done a dual boot for both vista and Xp on the same pc (Which in itself was way to hard compared how it used to be with win 95->xp...) so I can easilly switch and try things etc.

Anyone who knows of a remedy for the flickering in Vista? Did not Geckokid have the same problem? Can it be the graphics card? If so, why only on Vista?

Btw, I have tried both the vista and the original editor. I use NGLE, no TREP or any patches etc.

I dread going back to my old PC just for the tr editing :|
Currently playing: Babylon Is Fallen

Neso

Post by Neso » 17 Aug 2008 02:52

GeckoKid do have the same problem, I do too, I know that Isis got a lot of annoying problems too, and probably many of XP/Vista users too.

The only advice I can give you is :

1) If you encounter speed problems (which is not the case on Vista machine it seems), use the NGLE solution of Maj + direction keys to slow down the software, or download something like CPU Killer to slow down your CPU (and so on your software).

2) Use the "Hide Objects" button when you're texturing or lighting your room

3) On the contrary, release the "Face Edit" button if you want to add objects. Moreover, I advice you to add the objects as the last thing to be done in your room.

4) As much as possible, texture and light your rooms without the "Draw Doors" button (even if that's useful)

5) Zoom with PgUp and PgDown coz' the whole view of the room is sometimes not the ideal one to apply your textures and objects correctly due to those "bugs".
Image Image

QRS
Admin
Admin

Post by QRS » 17 Aug 2008 03:22

Thanks for your advice, Neso. Unfortunatly, I do all of what you described :( In my earlier machine that was enough to be able to build ok with the NGLE.

I seldom use the draw door button (I guess I got used to it due to all crashes in the old editor :lol: ) I'm also a sucker for the "hide object" button hehe.

My main problem here is that It either goes too slow or too fast. Also the spinning problem is not only a speed problem. the room refuses to stop even in low speed. Very irritating!

I have found a sollution for the fast spinning, especially in small rooms. There is an option in the settings for NGLE (At the top in that window) It works pretty good! BUT..in larger rooms it is even slower then :(

I will do some more testing and If I can't get used to it, I guess it is time to put all my old pc parts together and make the old pc come to life again hehe.
Currently playing: Babylon Is Fallen

piega

Post by piega » 17 Aug 2008 08:27

I have XP and dualcore. I was happy when Paolone solved my nvidia crash issue. I got used to the fast spinning. Do you also use holding shift when rotating in ngle?

You dont want to get back to your old PC. It just does not work as you want to do it on the new. I can work with my old PC but it is never on.

You might also get a faster tomb raider game after a couple of restarts. Then you must set the game to one core. There is a tool you can find to make the game start on one core at TRforums so if you encounter it you know how to solve it :)

Samu

Post by Samu » 17 Aug 2008 12:23

I have also the irritating flickering problem on Vista when I'm using face edit. As QRS said only 50 % of the surface can be seen sometimes. I have this problem only on NGLE but the original LE works fine. Hopefully it will be fixed sometime.