Download speeds for custom levels are unusually slow

PC problems/recommendations

Moderators: MichaelP, Tinka

Ceamonks890

Download speeds for custom levels are unusually slow

Post by Ceamonks890 » 21 Mar 2020 23:38

Hi,

I've noticed while downloading some random custom levels for reviews that the overall download speed is significantly lower than usual, taking substantially longer to complete (which proves especially tedious for larger filesized releases). And just to make sure that it simply isn't my PC, I've downloaded content from other sites for testing and speeds are still consistently high as I expect.

Is there something wrong with the trle.net download servers on MichaelP's end that's caused them to become overloaded by increased strain as a result of more users than usual downloading levels? Or is there something else at play here that I'm simply not aware of? Regardless, I hope this gets resolved at some point (as its not fun having to wait close to 2-4 hours for large levelsets to finish downloading).

EDIT: Never mind. Turns out the fault was entirely mine (as I deactivated script blocking for everything on trle.net through uBlock Origin's advanced mode and download speeds returned to a much more healthy level). Apologies for wasting space with this thread, but if anyone else runs into a similar issue in the future, at least we all know what to do when something's not working as intended :hammer:

Ryan
Keen Eye of the Week
Keen Eye of the Week

Re: Download speeds for custom levels are unusually slow

Post by Ryan » 22 Mar 2020 00:08

Thanks for the tip! That helped a great deal and my download speeds are back to normal (only I deactivated mine via Internet Explorer's Advanced Settings). If any else is having trouble, Ceamonks' tip should work wonders. :2thumbsup:
No one but ourselves can free our minds...

MichaelP
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by MichaelP » 23 Mar 2020 12:10

Well,... actually it IS expected to see a certain slow down, as I have removed a fairly costly "speed option" in my server package, given we do see a lower in flow of new levels in these recent months. I will continue to monitor the situation and if it gets too bad, I can add the option back in again - or rather I am considering to shoft to an entirely new server towards the end of the calendar year...

Speed should still be reasonable though, but not as fast as before - and it will depend more on how many people download form the server at the same time, ie with a new release that everyone jumps on immediately you may see slower download speed vs trying again a day later or so...

Jorge22
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by Jorge22 » 24 Mar 2020 18:38

It's true. At least, at this precise moment. Trying to download The Templar Treasure and I get the indication it will take 1 to 2 hours (it keeps changing). Don't know, I may give up and try later...
Doing anything with script blocking doesn't work because Chrome doesn't block scripts. And yes, I did try other browsers.

It's true that people are at home and that may affect the speed. Still, I just got a result of 186.01 for downloads from Ookla. I'll try again but I doubt it will work.

Ok. I ended up downloading the level from the Hungarian site. It wasn't really, really fast but it worked.

Joey Quint

Post by Joey Quint » 25 Mar 2020 13:50

Maybe you should put a banner or something to inform people this is normal? Many think it's a server issue (as in, not expected).

nad

Post by nad » 13 Apr 2020 23:48

What's wrong with this side. I read what Michael wrote. But the downloads are sooo slow (30 > 10kb/s today)
If it stays that way when the BtB levels come out, it will be really hard. I hope Michael will fix that in due time.

TombTitan

Post by TombTitan » 14 Apr 2020 00:56

This download problem has been going on since December. I just tried to download Five by Five, and the download would have taken 10 minutes from trle.net. So I went to Aspidetr and got the same game in 6 seconds.

Michael Prager---you need to fix your site, please!!!!

vimmers
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by vimmers » 14 Apr 2020 06:35

a way to maybe get more speed on the site
IS helping Michael with bills
https://www.paypal.com/donate/?token=02 ... ocale.x=US

Last edited by vimmers on 14 Apr 2020 09:39, edited 1 time in total.

nad

Post by nad » 14 Apr 2020 08:03

vimmers wrote:
14 Apr 2020 06:35
a way to maybe get more speed on the site
https://www.paypal.com/donate/?token=02 ... ocale.x=US
I read that but I was surprised it was so slow.

Gerty
Mod
Mod

Post by Gerty » 14 Apr 2020 11:35

@ vimmers: Excellent idea :super:
People do forget that the boss is paying for it all, so how about putting your money where your mouth is :D

Also it all depends when you download, this morning it went pretty fast
Oops, I did it again... Image

nad

Post by nad » 14 Apr 2020 12:12

Gerty wrote:
14 Apr 2020 11:35
@ vimmers: Excellent idea :super:
People do forget that the boss is paying for it all, so how about putting your money where your mouth is :D

Also it all depends when you download, this morning it went pretty fast
My download was down to 10 kb/s, so I thought there was something wrong with the site. Therefore my question. I read the answer from Michael. Everything is explained in detail, but 10 kb/s seemed suspicious to me. And yes, donating is a good idea.

MichaelP
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by MichaelP » 14 Apr 2020 13:45

... on the subject of support and donations ... [Thanks for mentioning it again, vimmers!]

Let me tell you for perspective that I just double checked and found that for the entire year of 2019, there have been exactly 4 (four!) donations received, totalling an amount of less than 100 US$.

That amount would barely pay for re-instating the increased speed connection option for the server for one year.

Having said that and seeing the significant fluctuations at this time, I do intend to move to a different server option towards the end of the calendar year, so bear with me and hopefully things will be getting back to more "normal" then....

vimmers
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by vimmers » 14 Apr 2020 15:14

MichaelP wrote:
14 Apr 2020 13:45
... on the subject of support and donations ... [Thanks for mentioning it again, vimmers!
you are welcome
and as soon i get a job i will use it
you could maybe add temporary duplicate links
to F.e.k.s https://mega.nz and https://www.mediafire.com/
+ other free filehosts
to new realeases

and if it's not already exist
you could add a donator badge to those there will use it

Chel

Post by Chel » 03 May 2020 20:48

I'm having an issue with the donate link: Paypal continues to tell me that my 'session is invalid' even though I'm currently logged in. Michael, do you have an alternate link or an email address that we can use to send Paypal funds?

MichaelP
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by MichaelP » 04 May 2020 09:49

Hmm, not sure what the issue may be there, as I just checked again and it works fine for myself. However, if you are indeed logged into PayPal you can simply provide the donation "manually" there by sending the Money to "prager.m@pg.com" which is my PayPal email address and make a trle.net reference in the comments somewhere.

And while I am here - I did indeed have quite a few more valid "complaints" about the download speeds, so I have added the faster connection back in - hope you all notice the difference... ;)

... and Special Thanks to Jay for your very generous contribution! :)