New To PC Gaming / Building PC Now / doe's and dont's for getting started in playing TRLE content

PC problems/recommendations

Moderators: MichaelP, Tinka

aquadon63

New To PC Gaming / Building PC Now / doe's and dont's for getting started in playing TRLE content

Post by aquadon63 » 01 Sep 2019 18:58

Tried PC gaming many years ago 1990 ( Learning PC @ the same time ) but it was a bit too much with all the background system knowledge and trying to learn windows at the same time. So went to playstation. Then eventually got an apple for ease of use in computer world.
But now... here I am at your mercy, Hoping to get to play all the awesome levels you all have created... will be incredibly grateful for any and all assistance in my endeavor. Thanks
NEW @ PC GAMING AND NEED HELP... Thanks in advance for understanding and assistance with my mental deficiencies in Windows and PC in general

Storm Chaser

Re: New To PC Gaming / Building PC Now / doe's and dont's for getting started in playing TRLE content

Post by Storm Chaser » 01 Sep 2019 20:48

Hi and welcome.

TR3, TR4 & TR5 levels should all play straight from download after unzipping.

TR1 are DOS based and as I have never played one maybe someone with more knowledge can be of help.

TR2 will AFAIK need the original CD to hear the music. Again I’ve never played one so l’ll leave that to those who do know.

Jorge22
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Re: New To PC Gaming / Building PC Now / doe's and dont's for getting started in playing TRLE content

Post by Jorge22 » 01 Sep 2019 21:14

TR2 levels (at least these days) come fully packaged. Just unzip and play (maybe enable a few features but it's automatized; read the readme). I'm not sure about TR1 but you may well be right.

Ryan
Keen Eye of the Week
Keen Eye of the Week

Post by Ryan » 01 Sep 2019 21:29

Most TR1 levels come with detailed installation instructions provided in a readme file that's fairly clear-cut, although very fiddly to set up. I believe you do need to have DOSbox installed to play them properly.

Teone

Post by Teone » 01 Sep 2019 22:10

Hi aquadon63 and welcome :hi:
Correct me if I'm wrong... you have said that you are using a MAC Computer, an Apple, and you need help to play Custom Levels on a MAC OS? :computer:
If that is your problem... I really can't help you, sorry. :dunno:

EDIT:
Oh, wait. I've just noticed your signature, so it seems you have a Windows PC now.
Don't worry. From 1990 to today Windows have learned to live by itself, without much user interact.
It will be easier than you can guess.
Last edited by Teone on 02 Sep 2019 00:15, edited 1 time in total.

Gerty
Mod
Mod

Post by Gerty » 01 Sep 2019 22:38

Welcome to the club.

Everything about Tomb Raider and a Mac is here to find:
http://www.users.on.net/~macraider/

Unfortunately if you have an OS higher than 10 you can't play any of the custom made games.
Even then you have to play them under OS 9. And only the costum games made with the original editor.
All the others won't work on a Mac. Unless you have both systems (OS + Windows) on your computer.
Oops, I did it again... Image

aquadon63

Post by aquadon63 » 11 Sep 2019 01:49

Wow, thanks to everyone for your input.
So to clarify I am building a gaming PC at the present time (Almost Exclusively to play TRLE content and all of the rest of the Tomb Raider catalog )
I do own and use an Apple as my business computer(NO GAMES)
So yes I will be using windows 10 on the new PC rig. I was figuring I might have problems with the older games and /or TRLE levels

Q 1) If I have a windows based PC with windows 10 installed what do i need to do to play the TRLE levels?

2) Do I also need to jump through major hurdles to play the older original Tomb Raider Games

3) would i need to load windows 9 for older tomb raider and TRLE content?
NEW @ PC GAMING AND NEED HELP... Thanks in advance for understanding and assistance with my mental deficiencies in Windows and PC in general

vimmers
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by vimmers » 11 Sep 2019 02:13

1 nothing special to play the games
2 all games play fine on win 10
3 win 9 doesn't exist :D. so same answer as above

Teone

Post by Teone » 11 Sep 2019 12:26

Windows 10 is ok.
The basic thing to know is how to modify the game setting.
Most TRLE content is TR4 type and the setting is shared in Windows registry, so you may need to adjust some setting, depending on the game you are playing.
To show up the setting panel you have to run the game with a commandline parameter.
An easy way is create a batch file. Open Notepad and write this string:

start "" Tomb4.exe -setup

Then, save the file as "Setup.bat", place it in the game folder and run it every time you need to adjust the setting.
Note: for TR2, TR3 just correct the EXE name in the string, anyway they store the setting elsewhere. For TR1 it's a different story, maybe ask if you need help for it.

Then I also want to suggest you two little tools:

If you play in fullscreen mode you may want to install this patch which remove the annoying top border.
The patch is name-based. It's an instruction you give to the OS so that every time you run an application called Tomb2.exe, Tomb3.exe, Tomb4.exe... Windows remove the top border. After applying the patch, if you need to switch between fullscreen / windowed mode the easiest way is rename the game EXE.

Another useful tool is the widescreen patch.
Modern PC have 16:9 screens while old games were designed for 4:3 screens. This causes an ugly distorsion and Lara looks larger and shorter.
With the widescreen patch you can correct the distorsion.
Unlike the previous one, this patch modify the single EXE itself. So you'll decide to apply it or not from game to game.
Newer TRLE content doesn't need it because they are already designed for widescreens.

-----

But now comes to my mind another very basic thing, obvious for most players but not so obvious for a newbie: the keyboard commands.

When you are in-game

press ESC for the game inventory
press F5 to save a game
press F6 to load a game
press P to pause/exit

When I was a newbie I didn't know how to exit the game so I used to kill Lara to exit. One day I was stuck in a room and I could not kill Lara in any way so I started to press every button on the keyboard then finally I found the "P" button was the right one. :lol:

Storm Chaser

Post by Storm Chaser » 12 Sep 2019 00:44

I didn’t know about the “P” key when I started playing and used to use control/alt/delete.

aquadon63

Post by aquadon63 » 09 Oct 2019 04:30

Awesome Awesome Thank you all so Much. Ill b back once the computer is finished and ready