Post by vimmers » 29 Dec 2018 13:20

to me it just sounds like that your screen is dying
or the gpu

Jorge22
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Re: Problems with Antivirus False Positives

Post by Jorge22 » 29 Dec 2018 20:06

I don't know. Now I also get continuous registry error blue screens (I'm on a mobile and willing to fix it... if possible).
I'm basically without a PC. :(

vimmers
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by vimmers » 30 Dec 2018 01:25

what is your pc name/brand
please be specific so i can look it up

Jorge22
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by Jorge22 » 30 Dec 2018 11:44

It's a Packard Bell (Acer) from 2009/10, Win 7 Home Premium. Can't even give you the settings from memory but it's all f... up, now it is. And I've tried everything I could from checking all I could in the system to different kinds of malware. I can barely move the mouse now among that coloured hic-up storm it became, if not blue screens, much less try anything else.

Pff.............

I'm looking at a HP Pavilion whatever, Intel core 5, 1 Tb HDD (well, yeah, but if I really must add some SDD it's cheap these days) 8 mb RAM, 2,8 Ghz (is it? I think so) extensible to 4 with boost whatever, Nvidia, comes with Win 10 that I'll have to learn the tricks of (bound to happen sometime). 699 euros now but the price will have to go down after January 7 when the sales start.

And thanks. :)

----------------------------

Still I managed to run sfc/scannow and the system seems to be fine. I'm now running Panda Cloud Cleaner on safe mode with net and I'm not high on my expectations but one thing is the screen isn't flickering with weird colours right now. Maybe some doubtful miracle (I ran it before obviously)?

----------------------------

I tell you something that concerns only me: if a miracle happens I'll never again dowload a level whose download gets blocked. Or maybe I will but I'll immeditely get rid of the exes (on the zipped and unzipped files) and replace them afterwards. People take it lightly and I'm sure our builders aren't hackers, I know, but experience tells me not to. A level that gets downloaded but then is seen as 'suspicious' is something completely different.

If no miracle happens, well, the same and maybe that HP...

vimmers
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by vimmers » 30 Dec 2018 14:53

stop that virus scanning jorge
it's a hardware problem since you get bsod and and now even can't barely move your mouse
and as said before it's your screen or gpu=graphics card
you said earlier in the post it's a pc
don't describe it as a pc if it's a laptop
or
don't describe it as a laptop if it's a pc
pc = desktop = it's stationary
laptop = movable = you take it to work or school
there usually are a sticker on your pc/laptop
there describe the brand better then you just did

to your new laptop/pc you should definitely buy a ssd it's take less than 30 seconds to boot up
not sure about you can have both the ssd and the 1tb hdd in it
it sounds like it's a laptop
can you add a link to it

Jorge22
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by Jorge22 » 30 Dec 2018 16:16

Not now but it's a pc/desktop - I have no personal use for laptops.

Yes, normally you may add another disk to your desktop and it may be SSD. 250 Mb SSD could now cost little, like 60 euros tops. It could be worthwhile to have the system in - not necessary but possibly worthwhile.

It could be my screen and it could be the GPU, agreed. But I had to go out and left it running. It detected a trj/ci.a before but it may be one that's tough to kill.
The reason I mention a possible miracle is the screen's colours became normal after a while and it stopped flickering plus I can move the mouse pointer easily.
But I'll know when I get home and I admit it's a long shot (still worth trying).

vimmers
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by vimmers » 30 Dec 2018 17:07

ok then i became a little vicer
it's best to have the ssd as a system disk and the hdd as a backup
to store larger files on

jeff sadler

Post by jeff sadler » 31 Dec 2018 13:42

Happy new year all.
I have find that the blue screen is normally the hardware problem.
If you have fitted new hardware like a hard drive, or video card etc...
remove the new hardware and restart the computer, windows may check for updates.
I have pointed out before the new computers run defender and new anti virus software also run anti malware.
You need to disable windows defender. for your anti virus software to work correctly.
running two lots of malware software is slowing your computer.
Win 7 64 bit systems do have problems and I stop using the operating system, changing back to the 32 bit win 7.
I have a slide mount so that I can change my hard drive so using window XP, for TR games, I download games at the Public Library with no problem and upload them to my XP.
I think personally you have Hardware problems, I use an old laptop Dell, and it works find.
Normally hardware you added can be the problem, printer, hard drives etc..
Hope this is of help.
Happy raiding.
Jeff Sadler

Jorge22
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by Jorge22 » 31 Dec 2018 13:46

@ vimmers: my PC seems to be working right now. I did so many things I don't exactly know what thing or things fixed it or kind of fixed it. Still, I'm not sure how far I can trust it.

Anyway, this is the HP I mentioned (and I think it's a good one for my particular needs as well as having a good price/quality relation, sorry the site's in Portuguese - furthermore, as I said, I'm waiting for the sales to see how much the price goes down; an SSD disc for the system is a good idea, of course, as long as I can get it cheap and trustworthy): https://www.worten.pt/informatica/compu ... np-6629348

Jorge22
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by Jorge22 » 31 Dec 2018 21:32

And sorry, Jeff, I somehow missed your post. Yes, it could be a hardware problem among other things. As long as I can keep it running until the sales start and if I'm able to save just a few files I don't think I've saved, well, good enough - I'd have to get me a new PC sometime... I just hope Win 10 grows on me since it's pretty awful using a system you dislike. But I guess maybe I will. You know, I somehow managed to skip all the bad ones like Vista, Millenium (that existed, didn't it?) and the hateful 8 and 8.1. Bit of luck, I guess.

Anyway, I don't use and don't wish to use Defender. I've tried it obviously.

Happy 2019. :)

vimmers
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by vimmers » 01 Jan 2019 05:29

you get along with win10 very fast
i also didn't wanted it when i bought a new laptop
but it is easy to make it what you want

jeff sadler

Post by jeff sadler » 02 Jan 2019 13:37

I'm lucky Jorge22
I built my own PC, and run win XP on it as well as win 7.
I have a NV 750GT Video card, I'm not using, and plan to sell it at the Exchange shop.
And I have an old NV 450 Video card, If you like me to sent one to you to keep you running until the sells.
I would be happy to help.
Happy new year Jeff Sadler

Jorge22
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by Jorge22 » 02 Jan 2019 14:54

Thank you so much indeed. I have it running now and it's even faster. But I can tell, namely from the quality of the graphics - even though not dramatic - it has obviously known better days. And now I have a trauma that makes me feel uneasy! :-o
Well, that HP's price has gone down to 594 euros. Not bad at all if you think of it. And if I add a Samsung 250 Mb SSD disc for 59.99, it may be even better.
I'll just need to explore Win 10 a bit and see how I can do things, namely how I can teach it not to do things I want to do myself in my place... I don't like Microsoft thinking we're all bloody stupid.

Jorge22
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by Jorge22 » 06 Jan 2019 15:24

As a sidenote: any obviously important particularities on playing levels on Win 10? Thanks.

vimmers
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by vimmers » 06 Jan 2019 16:19

i had never had any issues
some levels can have a little bit of lag
but not mush in my end on my cheap laptop