Problems with Antivirus False Positives

PC problems/recommendations

Moderators: MichaelP, Tinka

Mazeh

Problems with Antivirus False Positives

Post by Mazeh » 21 Aug 2018 18:17

We all know about problems with antivirus' misinterpretations. My own Avenger puts in quarentine a lot of TR games' exe.files, and I have to return them to the right place and deactivate the AVG in order to play. But now I had something entirely different: when I tried to download the mentioned game, AVG blocked the WHOLE site TRLE.NET. Anyone has any idea as to why this is happening? I tried twice to download the game without success, and I received a message of malware occasioned by the site. It happens only when I try to download this specific game.

Jorge22
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Re: Problem with Rufierto's Return... - Dutchys Rescue

Post by Jorge22 » 21 Aug 2018 19:35

That happened to me too and I do think it was the same game, which made me have to disconnect Avast as I downloaded. It's a fake positive, of course. Avast has assured me they've now fixed the issue as a whole. I really think they did but we'll see (especially if developers keep adding newer patches and forget to tell the 'outside' world about them).
---------------------
I forgot to mention... It's been a while but I believe I may have had to play that game with a different exe.

Mazeh

Post by Mazeh » 21 Aug 2018 22:34

Glad to know it's a fake positive! But I don't know what new EXE file could be used... taken from another new game, for example?

Jorge22
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by Jorge22 » 21 Aug 2018 22:50

I think I may have used Cakeworld or Cakeworld Rebaked.

Mazeh

Post by Mazeh » 21 Aug 2018 23:26

Thank you! I'll try! :2thumbsup: :2thumbsup:

Phil
Mod
Mod

Post by Phil » 23 Aug 2018 13:49

Mazeh wrote:
21 Aug 2018 18:17
We all know about problems with antivirus' misinterpretations. My own Avenger puts in quarentine a lot of TR games' exe.files, and I have to return them to the right place and deactivate the AVG in order to play. But now I had something entirely different: when I tried to download the mentioned game, AVG blocked the WHOLE site TRLE.NET. Anyone has any idea as to why this is happening? I tried twice to download the game without success, and I received a message of malware occasioned by the site. It happens only when I try to download this specific game.
The same thing happened to me just now when I clicked on "download" (so using a different Tomb4.exe file won't help). On my home computer I have AVG Professional, and this is the first time it's acted this way, so there's something in this level download that's not present in other level downloads. I'll try downloading the level on my office computer and report back.

Jorge22
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by Jorge22 » 23 Aug 2018 14:48

AVG has been bought by Avast but they're not the same. Do report it, please, threaten to expose them all over the net and send the url to this site, not just the said level - so they figure out the whole picture. I also added I'd been playing these levels since 2003. Then, they may send you a link so you can test the exe (among 68 engines) and ask you to report back with a link to the results. Hopefully, they'll be wise.

With The Electric Crystal only 4 out of 68 considered the exe to be dangerous (amazingly, Avast, who'd been giving me such a tough time with that exe, wasn't one of them).
------------------------
But I'm 99.9% sure I played it using Cakeworld's exe. That was impossible with The Electric Crystal as it said there was some dll file missing or something...
-------------
It's also a shame that neither Rufierto nor Dutchy took me seriouly when I first mentioned the issue... But I'm sure this is something the community has to deal with seriously. It's long past being about time.

Phil
Mod
Mod

Post by Phil » 23 Aug 2018 17:45

On my office computer I was able to download the files, but tomb4.exe wasn't included. When I tried to copy over an executable from another game, the computer wouldn't allow this action. The builder has done something unique to this download. Unless the problem is identified and corrected, I suspect there will be many potential players unable to enjoy his work product.

TombTitan

Post by TombTitan » 23 Aug 2018 18:36

I just downloaded this game from trle.net and installed it. It plays fine.

I do not have AVG/Avast; I use Norton. The problem all of you are having is with your antivirus program and/or computer. It is not with Rufierto's game or trle.net.

If you use a free antivirus program, you get what you pay for -- "Nothing but trouble".

Phil
Mod
Mod

Post by Phil » 23 Aug 2018 19:06

I beg to differ. It fails to work under the professional version of an antivirus program (home) and an equally vigorous but different antivirus system used by my law firm. No other custom level has prompted the symptoms I've described above. If you want to come look over my shoulder and see for yourself, you'll understand the problem.

Anyway, I just tried a third method. I created a new folder and copied a generic NG executable into it. I then copied the other files from the download into that folder. With all the necessary files now in place, I double-clicked on the executable and got the opening screen. But when I clicked on "new game," it crashed.

There's definitely a problem here, armchair quarterback observations to the contrary notwithstanding.

Edit: It finally works, at least for the moment. Bass.dll was also missing from the download, so I'm not at all sure that the antivirus programs are what's at issue here. I took the advice provided in a previous post, downloaded Cakeworld Rebake, copied over bass.dll and the executable, and the game at least starts and allows me to save. If I encounter additional problems I'll bin the game and move on to something else. Otherwise, I'll play and review it in due course.

Jorge22
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by Jorge22 » 23 Aug 2018 22:53

I also beg to differ. Free means less functions, not at all worse antivirus, that's gobbledigook and makes no commercial sense or otherwise. Still, I really think Avast has nailed it. If you have AVG or whatever pressure them, show them, make them understand. It's no conspiracy.
----------------
And, by the way, do you know, Tomb Titan, that cynicism is ugly and that Avast, besides having a lot more functions than any free competitor, comes first in most rankings? Next you'll be telling people McAffee is state of the art... Really...

rufierto

Post by rufierto » 26 Aug 2018 04:24

Sorry you all are having issues, the only thing different I did with this game was use flep for the first time, and Jorge, it was not that I did not take you seriously, I just did not know enough of what at this stage could be done about the problem. None of my testers had issues, and I am sure some players, by the sounds of it will. I wish I knew what to do about it. I will never use flep again, I know that. I just want people to enjoy my game without issues. Sorry for the problems with this for you all. :sad2:
Rescue Dutchy!!!!

Jorge22
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by Jorge22 » 26 Aug 2018 11:08

Nice, respectable reply. :2thumbsup:

People have to make antivirus companies aware of what it really is about. They need to show their concern, tell them it's the only game they play (even if it's not true), stress how long they've been here, send the url, threaten with every social media besides changing the AV and never ever reccomending their brand again... I don't know, it's your call. Just don't stand like morons and do nothing while the games slowly dies at the (surprised?) sight of all.
Insist. Persevere. Be resilient. It's easy in the Internet age. Somebody might eventually listen and understand.

Phil
Mod
Mod

Post by Phil » 26 Aug 2018 14:09

Whatever it was, and I realize it certainly posed no threat whatsoever, it caused two systems to go berserk.

I've finished the first level, great game so far.

rufierto

Post by rufierto » 26 Aug 2018 20:17

Enjoy! I am glad you got it to work finally. :2thumbsup:
Rescue Dutchy!!!!