Virus Threats in Custom Levels

PC problems/recommendations

Moderator: Tinka

Jorge22
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Re: Virus Threats in Custom Levels

Post by Jorge22 » 13 Mar 2018 16:08

I'm totally ****** with bloody Avast (and I really think other antivirus programs are the same)!

I'm trying to replay old games. I managed to replay Oxy's Frosty Mansion even though I had issues and it didn't want to let me at first. Now, I downloaded Illyaine's Jade Empire and I can't get it to work at all, it's a freaking complication as you can't even start to imagine. The bloody AV quarantines the exe, then it left a kind of an exe that I couldn't get rid of in the folder because it was not a regular file or whatever it was not, I couldn't even erase it with Eraser, I couldn't delete it (as administrator, of course), I finally managed, reinstalled it, had a really hard time getting it back to the folder because Avast wouldn't let me - and all that, yes indeed, even though I added the file to exclusions. Now, after all that, I'm back to square one. Avast totally ignores my exclusion.
This is an old sort of file, not even the newest, patched ones!

I say if this starts happening to other people there won't be any TR community left to play levels.

Won't someone, please, please, please, take care of it with the AV companies?

And don't tell me to turn the AV off while I play because that's a total nuisance.

Won't someone tell them they're being bloody idiots? Or does it have to go to Court?

Sheesh!

Don't tell me to quiet down either or that I'm being negative etc. Just put yourself in my shoes, ok?
"I waved to my neighbour/My neighbour waved to me/But my neighbour/Is my enemy/I kept waving my arms/Till I could not see/Under fifteen feet of pure white snow"

Jorge22
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by Jorge22 » 13 Mar 2018 17:38

You know, I've tried it like a zillion times, excluded tomb4.exe, C:\Users\Jorge\Desktop\JadeEmpire and C:\Users\Jorge\Desktop\JadeEmpire\tomb4.exe...

The result is always the same. I'm tired. I did send a fake positive note to Avast (as if it were the first one...).

Honestly, somebody must be able to do something about it. Otherwise, bye-bye level editor. I mean, if one can't even play older games from 2013...
"I waved to my neighbour/My neighbour waved to me/But my neighbour/Is my enemy/I kept waving my arms/Till I could not see/Under fifteen feet of pure white snow"

Jorge22
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by Jorge22 » 14 Mar 2018 09:19

There's no way, I even added IDP.Generic to the beginning of the excluded file and it's all the same. Unfortunately, Jade Empire has become unplayable.

Jorge22
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by Jorge22 » 14 Mar 2018 09:45

I downloaded Forgotten Remnants and it seems to work. So, all is not lost.

Except for Jade Empire, something I can't quite grasp...
Last edited by Jorge22 on 14 Mar 2018 11:58, edited 1 time in total.

Hitsumei
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Post by Hitsumei » 14 Mar 2018 11:51

That's why I stuck with Microsoft Security Essentials, even if it's a basic antivirus. Microsoft Security Essentials started complaining about any modified tomb4.exe over the last few months, but by turning off the antivirus, then excluding the extracted folder, and turning the antivirus back on, all is well for now. I was able to start playing Sabatu's Quest for Immortality.

As far as complaining is concerned, just like governments, corporations and organizations need to know who is getting snubbed by certain measures and decisions...
"With effort and persistence, a beginner can become an expert!"

dinne

Post by dinne » 19 Mar 2018 10:49

Hey I had Avast and it's a mess because it's made to not be shut down, but you can suspend it for, like, 1 hour. During that time you've to remove from the quarantine all the false threats, and going in the settings you've to exclude from the scanning the whole folder where you extract your custom levels... Like, if you have all your level in a folder called "TRLE custom levels", add it to the exclusions.
But if it doesn't work, in the end, delete that shit of Avast and use Avira. With Avira I've managed the matter of excluding files MORE easily... It's free. Or Malwarebytes too.

Jorge22
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by Jorge22 » 19 Mar 2018 12:32

I do have Malwarebytes, of course. It thinks TR files are dangerous too...

I even have Panda Cloud Cleaner and just today it seems to have saved my PC - in safe mode, the only way I could make it work.

dinne

Post by dinne » 19 Mar 2018 13:04

Yes but I was meaning that in Malwarebytes it's easy and efficient to exclude the whole folder of the levels than in Avast... Of course all the antiviruses mark tomb4.exe as a threat and same for NG_Center and other dll files...
I had sent to Avira the notice that tomb4 is a file of this community ecc ecc (about 2 months ago) but it seems that sending reports has no effect.

Jorge22
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by Jorge22 » 19 Mar 2018 14:13

I know... I told Avast the same countless times, sent them the files... Either they hold something against us or they're less efficient than they say they are. I vote for option 2.