Tomb4.exe stopped working

PC problems/recommendations

Moderator: Tinka

SuzanneJack
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Tomb4.exe stopped working

Post by SuzanneJack » 25 Feb 2017 13:59

As some of you already know, I'm having problems with this error. It seems to be ok when I play the levels all the way to the end or leave the game without exiting the level. As soon as I exit the level, the saves don't work. I'm loving btb 2014 and I read in one of the read me's that this can occur, so I passed that level up and have played up to The princess and the foreigner and had to exit, now none of the saves work. Does any one know why?

Ryan
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Re: Tomb4.exe stopped working

Post by Ryan » 25 Feb 2017 14:05

@Suzanne
Not sure if this will work, but have you tried playing the relevant level in compatibility mode? This may alleviate some of the crashing issues. If not, then try fiddling around with the tomb4.exe setup (resolution, Volumetric FX). I've had this happen to me a couple of times.
"I've been hearing symphonies, before all I heard was silence".

SuzanneJack
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by SuzanneJack » 25 Feb 2017 15:17

Ryan wrote:
25 Feb 2017 14:05
@Suzanne
Not sure if this will work, but have you tried playing the relevant level in compatibility mode? This may alleviate some of the crashing issues. If not, then try fiddling around with the tomb4.exe setup (resolution, Volumetric FX). I've had this happen to me a couple of times.
I don't know how to do an y of that :blush:

SuzanneJack
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by SuzanneJack » 25 Feb 2017 15:22

Ryan, I just replaced the data file with a fresh copy and it now works. Maybe that's what I have to do. Fingers crossed. Thanks for replying :)

Ryan
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by Ryan » 25 Feb 2017 15:26

Oh, that's great news. I'm glad it works for you now. :2thumbsup:
"I've been hearing symphonies, before all I heard was silence".

SuzanneJack
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by SuzanneJack » 26 Feb 2017 16:51

Well it's not working today :( Gonna try a new level.

Alfonzo

Post by Alfonzo » 19 Mar 2017 22:36

for me, posting can get weird because I am unfamiliar with the "rules" about the technical nature of this forum. However I do have some suggestions about this particular problem.

You can use Tomb4 Setup to get a fresh start or reset the setup for playing custom levels. This is what Ryan was trying to tell you to do and you responded by saying " I don't know how to do any of that"

Sometimes I will use an old fashioned "batch file" by typing an ordinary text file(in notepad)
tomb4.exe -setup

and then saving it as "tomb4setup.txt". You have to put a space between tomb4.exe and -setup in order for this to work.

You must save this text file in the same directory as the tomb4.exe file or it will not work !!

The next step, is to relabel the extension from a text file to a batch file by erasing ".exe" and rename it ".bat" ... you will get a warning from windows that the file could become "unstable" but that is exactly what you are trying to do; so just ignore the warning and click to continue.

The next step is to double click "tomb4setup.bat" and windows should take you to the original Tomb Raider 4 Set Up program. It's a simple interface that lets you choose your video card driver, screen resolution and other options like volumetric FX...bump mapping...etc

Another way to get to the Tomb 4 Set up is to download a custom level that has the setup file already in it; However, this is not consistent. Not every custom level has that file and the ones that do aren't labeled or have any special notes attached to them.
I do know of one custom level that has the setup file in it but it is in French. So I had to make a paper copy in English to figure out which boxes to click.
If you want to try this anyway it's called - Peruvian Adventures by Daffy.
EDIT NOTE: after trying this myself, it may be necessary to install the level editor on your computer in order to ensure the correct pathway for setup to work. That's OK because, as of this post, the original level editor is still a free download.

Another suggestion I have is an odd bug that I recently discovered. If the game was saved when the game was using a "fixed camera" then reloading that save will cause the game to crash after an exit and reenter (like you originally described). The only solution to that is to reload an even earlier game save before the camera switched into a "fixed" (or stationary) position and then save when the game camera goes back to it's "normal" position (behind Lara).

There are also a lot of other bugs (from the level editor and in the Windows OS) that will cause the dreaded "Tomb4 has stopped working" message to appear. These are a just couple of solutions and sometimes you have to try different options (like replacing the .dat file) to get it to work. And sometimes nothing works at all.... but you can always try the level on a different computer and see if it works on that one instead.