Convert to mp4

PC problems/recommendations

Moderator: Tinka

Dutchy
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Convert to mp4

Post by Dutchy » 28 Nov 2015 19:00

I need a program to convert for example wmv or avi files to something I can put in iTunes and upload it to the iPad.
MPEG-4 video, up to 2.5 Mbps, 640 by 480 pixels
Any ideas? Free of course :D

snork
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Re: Convert to mp4

Post by snork » 28 Nov 2015 22:03

I have no idea about itunes, but avidemux 2.6.10 converts almost everything (also wmv) into almost everything (not wmv).

http://fixounet.free.fr/avidemux/
Thou shall not mess with Lara's resting animation. NEVER. EVER!

Scottie
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by Scottie » 28 Nov 2015 23:19

Resistance is futile

Dutchy
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by Dutchy » 29 Nov 2015 06:08

Will try those out, thanks guys :2thumbsup:

avidemux 2.6.10... cannot find the "start convert" button or "save as MP4"
XMedia- decodes only up to 50 Mb, not enough
Super installs things I don't want; "SUPER is a free conversion program available from ErightSoft Software. The results obtained from using it are notoriously poor, and so I don't recommend it on that basis alone, but there is another problem with SUPER. It has a piece of malware/spyware attached to the installation program called OpenCandy."

snork
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Post by snork » 29 Nov 2015 12:03

Dutchy wrote:Will try those out, thanks guys :2thumbsup:

avidemux 2.6.10... cannot find the "start convert" button or "save as MP4"
On the bottom left at output format you choose the muxer -> container format, for modern mp4 typically I'd choose mp4v2 muxer.
In video output you choose the video codec, e.g. mpeg4 AVC (x264) , once you chose you can click configure below it for details. There at the top is a dropdown list where you can pick an iphone preset. Maybe that is what fits - don't know, never used it (no iphone or ipad here).
"Filters" allows for some editing beyond simple cutting and converting. A bunch of basic filters is already built in - cropping, colour manipulations, noise, stuff ... even more I think can be imported.

Same for audio output. For desktop use mp4 I'd pick AC3 (lav) - works fine for me. I guess itunes/ ipad can handle AC3 sound.

Once everything is set, then it is just from the menu file-> save. Silly enough, by default it wants to save into the program's directory. Avoid that.

It is a fully fledged converter / editor, so the gazillion of possible options can be overwhelming.

If the iphone preset for video encoding is not to your taste, then you're stuck with the "custom" preset, where you can/ must then configure the details - always worth a try with the defaults.
Thou shall not mess with Lara's resting animation. NEVER. EVER!