PC problems/recommendations

Moderator: Tinka

Nina Croft
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Dangerous Content at TRLE???

Post by Nina Croft » 15 Nov 2015 18:43

Hi,

I have noticed something very strange. When I try to download some levels from this site (not all levels, just some of them), my browser refuses to accept the download and sends me a warning: "This site has been reported for sharing dangerous and/or infected content". I know that this is not true, I am just saying what my browser reports. This happened in Google Chrome, then I tried to download these levels via Mozilla, and Mozilla also reported this problem. The only difference is that Chrome won't let you download the level when this message pops up, and Mozilla will let you "ignore" this message and accept the download nevertheless.

Do you know the cause to this problem? Has anyone REALLY reported this site for sharing "dangerous contents"? I put this site on my Kaspersky's list of safe sites, it works fine, only the browsers report problems and claim that TRLE has been "reported" for sharing dangerous files. I don't think that the problem is caused because the levels are zipped. All levels here are zipped, and this message appears only when trying to download SOME zipped directories. If that is the problem, then the same problem will occur with all levels, but it doesn't.

Any thoughts?

Anything you can buy with money is cheap (Remarque)...

Nina Croft
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Re: Dangerous Content at TRLE???

Post by Nina Croft » 15 Nov 2015 18:52

Here's the screenshot of that message (in Chrome). The "problematic" level is "20x20x20 Palace of Himeros", the zipped archive for this level is totally safe, but the browsers send this message when trying to download THAT specific level, not all levels hosted here.

For those not speaking German, this is what it says:

The website you try to open contain dangerous programs. Unauthorized third-parties at http://www.trle.net are trying to convince you to install the program that might have negative effects on your browser use. For example, your home page can be changed or additional ads can appear on websites you visit.

You can only close this message, you cannot ignore it and download nevertheless. In Mozilla, this page looks like this:

(the same level, Palace of Himeros). However, in Mozilla you can ignore this warning and still download the level, but why is the warning there in the first place?

MichaelP
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by MichaelP » 15 Nov 2015 21:28

This appears to be happening more broadly now and has to do with the known issue of patched tomb4.exe files. Similar to many virus scanning programs, these are considered "dangerous" and now that browser software is increasingly trying to "help you protect your PC better", these "false alarms" do indeed get in the way...

No real way to resolve this from my end other than eliminating all those FLEP patched levels, which is obviously not really an option. If anybody has any ideas I am all ears...

Nina Croft
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Post by Nina Croft » 15 Nov 2015 22:38

I know that all files hosted here are safe, been downloading and playing these levels for 10 years now... It's easy to add this site to the AV's list of safe sites, but how to convince the browsers that it's safe too?

What's even more curious, most zipped files from trle.net are accepted by both Mozilla and Chrome, only a few are blocked like this.

snork
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Post by snork » 16 Nov 2015 14:33

There must be some setting in them browsers to stop this behaviour.

I just looked it up and actually for me both "Do block websites when they were reported as attacking" and "Do block websites when they were reported as fraudulent" (wording?) were checked - this probably was the default setting.
Nevertheless I just downloaded that Palace of Himeros and never got any warning. (Firefox 39)

So maybe there is an additional "extension" that influences this behaviour ?
Or may there even be different behaviour in browsers depending on underlying OS ? :? (Win 7 home here)

-----------------------------------
PS
btw - EVERY scanner that totalvirus.com employs - that's 53 of them - declares Palace of Himeros is just fine.
(same for websites trle.net and treditor.hu)

But of course Mozilla and google know better than the full assembly of pros in the malware business. :-P
This is neering them worst-case scenarios that were once feared for with TPM. Only now it is in even worse hands. :angry:
Thou shall not mess with Lara's resting animation. NEVER. EVER!

Scottie
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by Scottie » 17 Nov 2015 09:03

Could it be, that Firefox hinders Avira Antivir to make an Update? I have tried it Yesterday and I have tried it now, but there is always the Message "no connection to the Internet"
Resistance is futile

LoreRaider

Post by LoreRaider » 17 Nov 2015 21:05

When i have this kind of message, i use Internet Explorer to download the package :)

JunoJim

Post by JunoJim » 01 Dec 2015 17:24

I've had the same problem with McAfee. It'll let me download & unzip, but when I start the game, it "quarantines" the tomb4.exe file.

I can turn off "real time scanning", and it'll play.