Windows 10 Direct X Problem

PC problems/recommendations

Moderator: Tinka

Will Raider

Windows 10 Direct X Problem

Post by Will Raider » 02 Sep 2015 21:34

First of all, I am not sure if this is the right place to post this, so I apologize in advance if it is. I am having a major problem running TRLE on Windows 10. I started off by downloading a TRLE game and running it at first and it worked fine, except that I had the usuall problem with the border on full screen. So i used the fullscreen fix and it just made things worse. When it did it, it said "Failed To Setup Direct X", a usuall problem with TRLE, but the thing is, I tried to uninstall the fix, reinstall Direct X and tried compatibility mode and nothing seems to work. Is there anyway I can fix this problem.

I do not have TRLE installed as levels these days don't need the editor so I can't go onto setup.

Need help ASAP. Thank you.

Anna27
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Re: Windows 10 Direct X Problem

Post by Anna27 » 03 Sep 2015 10:54

I have the same problem too. Generaly I had this problem with Windows 8, I somehow managed to solve it, but I'm afraid that now there is nothing we can to do.

vimmers
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by vimmers » 03 Sep 2015 17:00

some newer games you can press ctrl when the game loads
there you will see setup
rgs vimmers
hit f5 often in the forum

LoreRaider

Post by LoreRaider » 03 Sep 2015 19:32

You need to change someting on setup of tomb4.exe
You can try to use a tomb4.exe with 1.2.2.7 version of NGLE (ex: The Frozen Throne) or you need to create a setup, but it's not easy :)

Nina Croft
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Post by Nina Croft » 24 Sep 2015 18:56

Will Raider wrote:First of all, I am not sure if this is the right place to post this, so I apologize in advance if it is. I am having a major problem running TRLE on Windows 10. I started off by downloading a TRLE game and running it at first and it worked fine, except that I had the usuall problem with the border on full screen. So i used the fullscreen fix and it just made things worse. When it did it, it said "Failed To Setup Direct X", a usuall problem with TRLE, but the thing is, I tried to uninstall the fix, reinstall Direct X and tried compatibility mode and nothing seems to work. Is there anyway I can fix this problem.
I had the same problem on my Windows 10, the same message popped up whenever I tried to launch a level ("failed to setup DirectX"). I tried installing DirectX (although I had the newest version at the time), I tried reinstalling the Editor, I also tried what LoneRaider suggested (changing the setup of tomb4.exe) and nothing helped.

The solution was crazy, but it helped. I reinstalled the graphic card drivers! Oh yes. My nVidia GeForce card is very powerful (4GB of internal memory), developed in particular for gaming. It also processes audio files. So, when I reinstalled the driver for this card and installed something called "GeForce Experience", it helped. Now I can not only run the TRLE levels, but also launch the Editor itself (which was also impossible before reinstalling the GPU drivers).

I don't know what graphic card you use, but if you use any GeForce model, it may help. Make sure to download the latest driver from the official page of the manufacturer.

Let me know if that helps!

PS: Of course, after reinstalling the drivers, make sure to launch the game as Administrator and also to set the compatibility to XP Service Pack 3.

Anything you can buy with money is cheap (Remarque)...

veronia

Post by veronia » 25 Oct 2015 21:53

What fullscreen fix do you folks use? I'm reluctant to install win10 cuz of probs that might come. With win8 there was a lot of work getting the ratios and resolution good, then for the borders showing I used a fix with the little program AutoHotkey Script (.ahk), and I press ctr-alt-f and the border frames gets pushed aside completely. It has worked ever since, only I don't use it when there are levels with a tomb.4 that pushes the frame out on its own. So maybe it will be ok on windows 10 too?
yaoza.

LoreRaider

Post by LoreRaider » 25 Oct 2015 21:58

Yes, i've tried on it on Windows 10 and it works :)

veronia

Post by veronia » 26 Oct 2015 21:32

Oh good :2thumbsup: :2thumbsup:

But did you have to set up the screen again from scratch, or was it the way it was before the install?
yaoza.