download speed issues

PC problems/recommendations

Moderators: MichaelP, Tinka

Raymee

download speed issues

Post by Raymee » 13 Mar 2013 10:53

Hi Tinka,
I have just recently had British Telecom upgrade my phone line and broad band to fibre optic and I have down loaded games and files from other sites at a remarkable speed since. My current maximum down load speed is 64 meg bytes/per sec. I came back onto the TR site because I have always been a dedicated fan. I have found several custom games and have tried to down load them all. But I was shocked to note that they are only down loading at a speed of less than 1 meg/per sec, or less. Can you offer any advice to speed this link up ??
My PC is clear and I have loads of memory space, nothing to interfere with any games, I often us the 'STEAM' site to play games like 'Half life' and the speed is fantastic, so what is the issue with the TR site...
:( :(
Doh!! my brain hurts.

Scottie
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Re: download speed issues

Post by Scottie » 13 Mar 2013 12:13

You can push the speed with a Downloadmanager. I'm browsing with Firefox and I use DownThemAll and FlashGot (mostly DownThemAll)
Resistance is futile

MichaelP
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by MichaelP » 13 Mar 2013 13:26

Many factors influence download speed - some local, some network, some hosting server/service related...

For trle.net I have a traffic limit when the service provider cuts the speed until I go into the administration and confirm that the high traffic is expected. Sometimes I am not available to do that for a few days and hence you will experience slower downloads from here than usual.

The other site related reason can be that rather many people download large files at the same time.

Raymee

Post by Raymee » 13 Mar 2013 22:18

Thanks for your feedback guys, but doesn't help me. I have several game sites that I visit and don't have this problem, in fact the lowest speed I have seen so far has been about 8mb/s, that is why I thought there was a way to change the sponsor down load server for an alternative one. I use Firefox too and have never had any problems with speeds. A few years ago, trle.net had this facility for all downloads, but now we don't seem to have a choice.
Guess it's not possible any more. :(
Doh!! my brain hurts.