Soundjack and Windows 7

PC problems/recommendations

Moderators: MichaelP, Tinka

Stellalune

Soundjack and Windows 7

Post by Stellalune » 11 Apr 2012 23:45

Hi, all. Long-time watcher, first-time poster. :)

Recently another player emailed me asking how to extract all the sound effects from TR1. I know I've done it before with SoundJack, but when I tried installing and running it on my current system, I can't make it work. I'm running 64-bit Windows 7, and I have tried setting the compatibility mode for SoundJack in various ways (Windows 95, Windows 98/ME, run as Adminsitrator checked and un-checked).

So far I've been able to run the program and open the PHD files from the TR1 CD, but then I get this error: "I/O Fehler 103." I guess that's German for "I/O Error 103".

Does anyone have tips for running SoundJack under Windows 7? Or possibly another program that could extract .wav files from .phd files? Failing that, does anyone know of a COMPLETE selection of TR1 .wavs. I've seen a few partial collections and one where the audio is in French, but the person who asked me about it wanted all the audio with English dialogue.

Thanks in advance for any leads.
Regards, Stella
Tomb Raider Walkthroughs @ tombraiders.net

chrimajon

Re: Soundjack and Windows 7

Post by chrimajon » 14 Apr 2012 22:31

To do this with Windows 7 you may have to enable 'Real Administrator' mode,and also disable DEP (Data Execution Prevention service,the aim of which is to protect the system from inbound and outbound threats related to malicious code. Just turned out to be a very annoying and overprotective MS service :angry: )

To enable real administrator:

1. Logon using your normal username and password.
2. Click on the Start button
3. Click on Start Search.
4. Type "cmd" w/o quotes.
5. Right-click cmd, select 'Run as administrator' from the shortcut menu.
6. In the black 'DOS box', type the following at the command line:

Net user administrator password

(your password will be more complicated obviously)

Net user administrator /active:yes

7. Check the message : The command completed successfully
8. Switch User, or logoff.
9. Logon as Administrator Password: password

N.B.: There should be no space between the word 'active' and the colon.

/active :yes is wrong.
/active:yes is correct.

You also need a forward slash before 'active' as above.

To disable DEP:

1. Go to Start > Run, type in "cmd" without quotes.
2. In the command prompt window type "bcdedit.exe /set {current} nx AlwaysOff" without quotes. Press Enter.
3. You'll see the prompt "Operation Completed Successfully".
4. Reboot your PC.

NOTE: disabling DEP under Win 7 will probably require 'real administrator' mode anyway!

Stellalune

Post by Stellalune » 28 Apr 2012 23:14

Thanks, chrimajon. Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner but I've just had a chance to try out your advice. I managed to disable DEP following your instructions. I ran soundjack (in Windows 95 compatibility mode) and it worked fine at first. I was able to extract 4 .wav files, but then it started giving me the "I/O Fehler 103" error again. I tried different compatibility modes (Win 98/me, no compatibility, run as administrator or not) but still no luck. Any additional advice? Thanks again. :)
Regards, Stella

chrimajon

Post by chrimajon » 29 Apr 2012 20:29

An I/O error is an 'input/output' error,which is possibly being generated because Soundjack is detecting the TR1 disc as being accessed by the disc drive,and this is creating a conflict.
Try copying the phd files from the disc to a folder on your PC,then take the TR1 disc out of the drive and see if Soundjack will work error-free on the copied files.

Stellalune

Post by Stellalune » 07 May 2012 01:14

Thanks again. Solid advice but unfortunately it's not working. I get a few good WAVs and then the same error again.
Regards, Stella