The Spring Of Eternal Youth Demo V.2 installation problem

PC problems/recommendations

Moderators: MichaelP, Tinka

Mytly
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

The Spring Of Eternal Youth Demo V.2 installation problem

Post by Mytly » 23 Mar 2012 15:48

After a recent thread in Chat about a Level, I decided to play Walrus's The Spring Of Eternal Youth (Demo), specifically V.2 of the demo. I was surprised to see that it comes with its own installer rather than the usual .tr4 files. When I try installing it, I keep getting an error message:

My Italian is pretty limited, but with the help of Google Translate, I can figure out that the message means that my operating system is inadequate. My OS is Vista Home Premium 32-Bit, and it can run current games as well all the Classic TRs, plus of course, all custom levels. So I'm not sure what the problem is. :?

Is there any other way to install The Spring Of Eternal Youth? Or should I just forget about it? :(

MrJavi94
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Re: The Spring Of Eternal Youth Demo V.2 installation proble

Post by MrJavi94 » 23 Mar 2012 19:24

I can understand the Italian without problems cause it's quite similar to Spanish and yeah, that's what the report is telling you.
Hmm, sounds weird for me too. But all what I can actually tell you is that Microsotf failed when it released the VIsta OS. It gives constantly problems, so what I would recommend you is to update your PC to Windows 7. I have the Home Premium version on my laptop and there're no problems, not only with custom levels and so, but with all in general.

So my suggestion is that you update your OS to Win 7. I could even guess that problem will not under Windows 7, but I haven't installed yet.
Hmm, one question: Does your PC let you to install any custom level without any problem? I'm asking for this to know if you have the User Account Control feature activated which gives constant problems while installing because supposedly you can't install nothing on your Hard Drive disk without the permission from an administrator ( though you're the admin of your PC).

It's possible hasn't prepared the game to be run under Vista

I think this should work for you and I hope to have helped you well. :)

dmdibl

Post by dmdibl » 23 Mar 2012 23:41

Is there any real reason why The Spring Of Eternal Youth (Demo) v2 even has an installer? Maybe the files could be repackaged into a standard zip as other custom levels.

After all, this is a custom level set, with a tomb4.exe--whether or not that is renamed--so it ought to behave as other custom level sets do. As I understand, downloaded programs with an installer often place entries in the Windows registry. Programs that are packed in a zip don't have to make registry entries. It isn't like The Spring Of Eternal Youth is a time-limited demo, like a commercial product.

Maybe mention this to Michael?

It is possible that other people have encountered problems and just given up without saying anything.

Walrus

Post by Walrus » 24 Mar 2012 15:56

Unfortunately, when I created the setup for Spring Demo 2.0, the latest OS was Windows XP, and maybe I didn't check the future compatibility issue in InstallShield. What you can do is download the zip version, copy the needed files (open the readme to see them: they're all original TRLE install files) and start the .exe :)

I decided to use installshield (and I'll use it also for my future projects) because that dem was for an italian videogame magazine called The Games Machine. They asked me a setup, and it worked until Vista/Seven OS.
...and remember to be... COSMICALLY CONSCIOUS!!!.....

Mytly
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by Mytly » 24 Mar 2012 16:25

Thanks for the prompt reply, Walrus. Can you tell me where I can find the zip version? :)

Also thanks to dmdibl and Javi for their input. :)