Moderators: MichaelP, Tinka

DJ Full
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Fraps crashing TR2

Post by DJ Full » 04 Oct 2011 08:43

Whenever I try to record TR2 with Fraps, I get this:
Image,
and it happens no matter which fps amount I choose. I tried switching capture video hotkey from F9 to F2, but the result is the same.
MAKE WIDESHOT GREAT AGAIN

Scottie
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Re: Fraps crashing TR2

Post by Scottie » 04 Oct 2011 09:13

Yes, I had had the same Problem with the Timerun in the Level Going to new Venice by Franco Bula. I have used Bandicam http://www.bandicam.com/downloads/ and have played in a Window. This is the result. It's not as good as the normal Videos, but in this Situation the best I could do

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-XfEctFs3_8
Resistance is futile

DJ Full
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by DJ Full » 06 Oct 2011 20:10

Can't Bandicam record full screen?

Scottie
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by Scottie » 06 Oct 2011 21:36

Yes, Bandicam can do this, but seemingly Fraps and Bandicam have problems with TR2/TR3-Levels. It's all fine with normal TR4-Levels
Resistance is futile

DJ Full
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by DJ Full » 08 Oct 2011 13:05

Any alternative desktop recorder You know?

Scottie
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by Scottie » 08 Oct 2011 20:56

CamStudio sounds interesting http://camstudio.org/
Resistance is futile

DJ Full
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by DJ Full » 11 Oct 2011 20:27

Tried it. No matter if I select 30fps or 200fps, it records 2fps. No matter which capable codec I select, it also records 1fps. Goddammit... I'm between the devil and the deep blue sea. I think all those errors occur because of the laptop chipset and alternative stuff it has onboard. But if I switch to desktop PC, the screen will go squished, as it is a widescreen. And TR2 has no widescreen option, just like the old tomb4.exe... In the worst case, I'll ran one of these recorders on the desktop, and launch TR2 in window... what I tried to avoid. In such case, I'll make a pitch black wallpaper, for it not to disturb. And I will get rid of the icons.

DJ Full
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by DJ Full » 12 Oct 2011 11:11

Tried CamStudio on my desktop and it fails the same way it did on the laptop. Switching to Fraps+desktop, then, if this combo fails as well, to Bandicam+desktop.

DJ Full
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by DJ Full » 13 Oct 2011 08:34

Hi, Scottie.

Executed procedure #1 (from 2 stated above) - installed Fraps on the desktop. Launched it and got BLUESCREEN. Then, the PC was turning on for appx. 5 minutes and this state did not change until I uninstalled Fraps. How can such primitive program mess up system boot?

So then I executed evasive maneouvre (procedure #2) - switched to Bandicam, what restored PC stability. This program works fine there. Just like I said, I made the whole screen black. After starting TR2, I didn't even have to get used to windowed mode, as the brain succesfully manages to ignore it if only the wallpaper is pitch black. Will remain in this state for a while...

So long and thanks for all help.

Scottie
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by Scottie » 13 Oct 2011 08:40

You 're welcome :D
Resistance is futile

DJ Full
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by DJ Full » 22 Oct 2011 04:05

FAIL! I have two messages: one of them is rather good - I found some spare hours and made it through the second timed run in Darkness Castle. The second message is rather bad - it appeared unregistered Bandicam can record only up to 10 minutes. I believe the programmers meant a limit of 10 minutes per one clip... but there must be a kind of bug occuring in my case, not allowing me to record any more videos. Moreover, when I tried alternative recorder - HyperCam - a weird TR2 glitch has occured: the game kept going the normal way, but the controls got disabled, so I was forced to cancel all progress and lost this chance to see what's behind that particular timed run.

Any ideas about how I can configure HyperCam? Or any other recorder apart from Super Screen Recorder, which I am testing now?

I really would like to record beating DC - as I'm more likely to finish it than anytime before (I have tested and mastered almost all possible tactics for fighting the first 40 opponents). Also, after that second timed run, I had more than 5 seconds of reserve, so I think I might even be able to obtain the M16 lying in the same room a crucial key does. I speak about that timed room which was the farthest point of the game me and manarch2 could achieve until today. This was hard because there is no trigger in that room behind the timed door, that could open the portal from the other side - so I had to complete the timed run, enter the room, grab the detonator key and get out before I was trapped.