Custom Levels in Win7 - known issues

PC problems/recommendations

Moderator: Tinka

Nina Croft
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Custom Levels in Win7 - known issues

Post by Nina Croft » 08 Apr 2010 04:09

I've been using Windows 7 Professional ever since it was released, and there are a few things that need to be clarified if you make/play custom levels in Win7.

Level Editor definitely works in Win7, as well as most other programs used for level editing. However, it is highly recommendable to use NGLE engine, it is much more stable than the "classic" editor.

Levels without patched .exe will behave like normal TR 1-5, with occasional crashes, and sometimes with savegame loading problems (explained in more details below).

Levels with patched .exe also work fine in Win7, but they do have more problems than unpatched levels. For example, savegames will sometimes fail to load (as it was the case with Beyond the Scion in my system), or the game will crash to desktop while doing something like pulling/pushing blocks or climbing (as it was the case with Lara and the Four Shafts).

Here are some tips to prevent that as much as possible. Feel free to add new problems and solutions to this list.

(1) Back up your saves. When you fill all the slots, copy them to another location before overwriting them. If something happens with your save, if you cannot load it, use one of the previous saves to get back on track.

(2) Don't save your game while Lara is doing something, for example when she's holding a flare or the torch, or drives a bike. However, you can save during jump, while Lara is in mid-air, and you can also save while Lara is climbing on a ledge (not by Esc menu but with F5 shortcut).

(3) For some reasons, Win7 must have an administrator to work properly, so it means that you have to open most of the programs as an administrator (RMB click on the program and choose option Run As Administrator. This might help prevent most of the issues with different programs in Win7).

(4) You don't need to run compatibility mode, and I myself don't recommend using it. In my case, I did it normally with full administrative rights in OS.

(5) If you are using a laptop, and your shortcuts does not work (as stated in other thread) it is not due to the compatibility, it is due to your missing drivers/utilities. You have to find the utility for your laptop brand to be able to use certain shortcut keys on your system (F5 or F6, Esc, etc).

(6) If the program crashes to desktop, it usually can be started normally later, but if it constantly crashes, then it is advisable to restart the PC, and load some previous save.

(7) Disable the sticky, toggle and filter keys in Control Panel -> Ease Of Access Center, to avoid confusion in your system when pulling blocks or climbing the ceiling.

(8) Don't give up. You'll figure out what's wrong in your system, that prevents you to run the game, and once you fix it, the game will work even better than in XP or Vista. It is mostly the problem in your system settings, and with minor corrections you can adjust the system to work.

(9) Don't forget that Win7 chooses its own drivers, and that you sometimes must override them with newer drivers for your hardware. This is always the first thing I would do when a program is in conflict with my system. Maybe you are missing some drivers, utilities, plugins or updates, in 95 % of cases that is the main issue. So don't blame the NGLE, in most cases it is the system to blame.
Anything you can buy with money is cheap (Remarque)...

vimmers
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Re: Custom Levels in Win7 - known issues

Post by vimmers » 08 Apr 2010 07:06

good job nina (if that's your name)

Horus
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Post by Horus » 26 Apr 2010 17:18

Nina Croft wrote:Level Editor definitely works in Win7, as well as most other programs used for level editing.
I'm thinking about switching to Windows 7 on my computer, but I'd like to be sure all TRLE programs work with Windows 7. Have you by chance tried STRPIX3, WadMerger or Meta? I know that some people with Windows Vista have problems using STRPIX3, I just wondered whether that problem might occur in Windows 7 too :anxious:

Matie
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by Matie » 26 Apr 2010 18:04

I'm on Windows 7 and all the programs you mentioned work fine for me (except StrPix3 v130, but the original one runs ok) :)

Moonpooka
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Post by Moonpooka » 19 Jul 2010 12:15

Many thanks for that info, Nina. I might be changing to windows7 soon and i was stresing about playing custom levels. If i can't play them, i won't upgrade. I will keep my copy of XPHome just in case :D
We want the finest wines available to humanity, we want them here and we want them now!

vimmers
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by vimmers » 19 Jul 2010 15:50

custom levels runs fine on my win 7 machine

Jorge22
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by Jorge22 » 12 Oct 2010 09:44

I've had no problems with Win7 (which is by all means far superior to the dreadful Vista), except for the following: Lara waiting for a second too long before she does an action like placing an object somewhere or waiting that extra second for the inventory to appear; Lara jumping very oddly if you run and keep the jump button pressed for as long as it was always normal and furthermore Lara firing her pistols while she jumps if she has them at the moment. Other than that, all is just great from the player's viewpoint.
"I waved to my neighbour/My neighbour waved to me/But my neighbour/Is my enemy/I kept waving my arms/Till I could not see/Under fifteen feet of pure white snow"

daffy

Post by daffy » 18 Oct 2010 23:04

Hello,

I am running Windows 7 Seven 64 bits. I installed from the original CD the level editor and it works fine.
I wanted to install the version "TRNG Mk1 Full Install" taken here: http://www.skribblerz.com/editortools.htm.
When I run the installation I have always an error and nothing to do to continue. This error is "Invalid Image" in a small window "Visual Basic Setup Toolkit".

Someone has an idea of the problem ?

Note: I tried all the solutions that I know, compatibility mode, administrator etc. .. without seeing any difference.

Thank you in advance. :wink:
Thank you for excusing the poverty of my English, sometimes I have me even the trouble to understand me... ! :dunno:

daffy

Post by daffy » 19 Oct 2010 14:01

I'm back,

I found a solution to my problem here: http://www.skribblerz.net/forums/index. ... topic=3111

1) I installed the VB6 runtime: http://www.trsearch.org/Tools/5/
2) Downloaded the Full TRNG Mk2 and made the installation : http://www.skribblerz.com/editortools.htm

I have been a few "Warning" during the installation but the editor TRNG works... ! :D

Daffy thank you! :lol:
Thank you for excusing the poverty of my English, sometimes I have me even the trouble to understand me... ! :dunno:

vimmers
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by vimmers » 19 Oct 2010 15:57

hehe good that u can thank yourself
who else should do it :lol:

daffy

Post by daffy » 19 Oct 2010 18:24

Daffy is a boy very helpful, even for him ! :D

JunoJim

Post by JunoJim » 29 Jul 2012 02:12

I just got Win 7, and this thread has been very helpful - thanks all !!!

SuzanneJack
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by SuzanneJack » 29 Apr 2018 19:41

daffy wrote:
19 Oct 2010 14:01
I'm back,

I found a solution to my problem here: http://www.skribblerz.net/forums/index. ... topic=3111

1) I installed the VB6 runtime: http://www.trsearch.org/Tools/5/
2) Downloaded the Full TRNG Mk2 and made the installation : http://www.skribblerz.com/editortools.htm

I have been a few "Warning" during the installation but the editor TRNG works... ! :D

Daffy thank you! :lol:
Skribbblerz is no longer there. Where else can I download the editor tools? #2 above

vimmers
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by vimmers » 30 Apr 2018 05:55

you don't need to install ngle unless you want to build something

SuzanneJack
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by SuzanneJack » 30 Apr 2018 14:17

Oh, Ok...me build? Not :lol: