Gamepad Problem

PC problems/recommendations

Moderators: MichaelP, Tinka

trplayer

Gamepad Problem

Post by trplayer » 28 Jul 2009 19:32

Hi all,

I have been using a PSX pad wired to the 25-pin port on my PC for some time now, and this recent problem has me stumped. What happens is this: when in the control panel, all works well, but when I go to play Tomb Raider, the controls get funny. For example, when I hit L1 and then Up, Lara hops back (instead of looking down). I think I have narrowed the problem down to the PC not able to handle the input properly when I am running intensive programs, such as Tomb Raider, or, when I hit a lot of the buttons on the pad at the same time. For some reason it seems like too much input, from whatever source, is 'freezing' the game pad and causing it to act funny, I guess in the same way that things like internet or graphics get funny when they put an overload on the system.

I am wondering if this could be a problem with my wiring of the controller, even though it only happens when other things on the computer are running, or if this is something else that needs fixing. One interesting note, though, is that the analog sticks have not been working, though they did work before (on a different computer using a different wiring job, but the same schematics and setup). What's more is that the look + up works occasionally for a few minutes, but then as I play the game it breaks down and causes Lara to just hop back. This is so goofy, because if something were wrong with the controller I would think the problem would happen all the time :?

If anyone has experience with this and might be able to offer some insight, that would be great.

I appreciate any assistance,
Jon
————Review my level if you have played it! Review levels @ trle.net————

chrimajon

Re: Gamepad Problem

Post by chrimajon » 29 Jul 2009 20:34

I assume from your post that you're not using a USB adaptor for the PS controller?if that's the case then why?..I've never had any pad problems using this arrangement,nor,as far as I know,has anyone else!

trplayer

Post by trplayer » 30 Jul 2009 04:48

Nope; I have it wired into the DB 25 port. I did find the problem though; it turns out the program JoytoKey was causing problems with the drivers. Not sure why this has never happened on other controllers I have hooked up the same way, but maybe I just never noticed it.

Thanks,
Jon

trplayer

Post by trplayer » 30 Jul 2009 07:37

Edit: I was wrong. Turns out my 25-pin port does not put out enough power to let me use this thing properly. Trying wiring alternatives now in hopes of fixing this.

Jon

vimmers
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by vimmers » 31 Jul 2009 13:42

maybe u shall update your drivers to that DB 25 port.

QRS
Admin
Admin

Post by QRS » 31 Jul 2009 16:06

Get yourself a ps2 pad+converter via usb. Works like a charm and is not expensive at all. I have had my converter for 7 years now and still it works (20$ back then but they are cheaper now!)
Currently playing: Babylon Is Fallen

Jerry

Gamepad problem with tr5 levels

Post by Jerry » 10 Oct 2009 17:36

Hi,

I would like to play some tr5 levels, but assigning my gamepad doesn't work. In the control options I can assign all keys except for the direction keys (there are not even arrows). If I leave the directions keys behind and start the game Lara is hopping back all the time and can't be controlled. I have no problems assigning my gamepad for tr3 and tr4 levels, but it doesn't work for tr5 levels. Any ideas?

P.S.
I don't use a psx gamepad, but a normal pc gamepad with usb.
Jerry

snork
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Post by snork » 11 Oct 2009 13:15

:| About 2 years ago, that has been the same for me with my first gamepad. (hama airgrip so-and-so)
And when I tried to enter the configuration dialogue again, the game would freeze. :-P

I tried to find a solution in ooold documentation about it, at Eidos etc.,but to no avail. I never found a cure.
It did NOT have to do with the gamepad not being properly calibrated (it was calibrated perfectly fine).
So you can most probably skip that road of thought ...

There was no other solution for me but to use a different gamepad.
Most of the Saitek ones worked well with Chronicles (P880, P990, P2600, but not the P580) but I can't use them for personal reasons. ("wrong" button layout for me) :|

For two years now I use a "speed link Strike SL 6535", it is a smallish one, still does not show signs of weakening and no problem with Chronicles.

I never heard about problems with PSX Pads (with converter, so it fits into PC). Would the speedlink one not have worked out for me, a PSX pad would have been the next one to try.

Sorry for the bad news.
It was really a loong story until I found a gamepad I was happy with.
Maybe just delay Chronicles until you need a new gamepad anyway. My Chronicles was stowed away (unplayed) for more than a year because of this. :roll:
Thou shall not mess with Lara's resting animation. NEVER. EVER!

Howaito

Post by Howaito » 09 Jun 2010 20:12

Sorry to bump an old thread, but I've got roughly the same problem which is: I have tried two different gamepads to play Tomb Raider 1-5 on, yet they do not work with any of them. On any other, non-Lara Croft game they work fine, yet she will not let them work! The gamepad does not respond in game nor when I try to reconfigure the controls through the Tomb Raider menu!

Am I missing some sort of .cfg file change needed?

The two controllers I am using are:
Playstation 3 (USB)
Ten year old digital gamepad.
The Cartoon World Returns March MMX

snork
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Post by snork » 10 Jun 2010 12:00

Just recently I learned there may be a software way to solve (some of) these issues.
EscondeR, at TRF tech support wrote:1. Ensure you have proper drivers installed for your gamepad.
2. Ensure the gamepad is properly configured in Control panel > Gaming devices.
3. Use Xpadder or Joy2Key to remap the controls. Warning! Your controls must be in neutral positions initially to be mapped correctly.

4. If any issues still, ensure you have Multipatcher installed.

vimmers
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by vimmers » 10 Jun 2010 16:27

i know i have responding earlier
but why use a gamepad

QRS
Admin
Admin

Post by QRS » 10 Jun 2010 17:16

vimmers wrote:i know i have responding earlier
but why use a gamepad
Because some people are used to it, as you are with your keyboard. :wink:
Currently playing: Babylon Is Fallen

snork
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Post by snork » 10 Jun 2010 17:21

I tried, and Lara was like a Drunken Master or something. No 2 straight steps in a row.

a) well, my Lara told me that if she gets one more bruise from me constantly bumping her into each and every wall (trying to control her with keyboard) then the next thing being shot at would be me.

b) It is maybe more fun, from more immersion with the game.
You should see me trying to make Lara do a difficult curved jump. I subconsciously shift the whole gamepad in that curve with her jump and also my whole upper body. :lol:
And I need no light in the room as I would need to see what key I am pressing on the keyboard.