"BADWINDOWSVERSION" Error when reinstalling TRLE

PC problems/recommendations

Moderators: MichaelP, Tinka

High Priestess

"BADWINDOWSVERSION" Error when reinstalling TRLE

Post by High Priestess » 23 Jul 2009 11:35

Hi all,

I uninstalled TRLE and reinstalled it from the second Chronicles disk but it flashed up with that error message then had a big cross saying beneath it "Severe". So I cancelled the installation.

What could the problem be? I am not at all technically minded so please speak to me in ABC :D

Should I try to download a copy online? How can my disk be corrupt? It's an official Eidos product! I've looked through the threads but can't find this exact query and I really would like to play more of the games that aren't playable straight from download.

Maybe my PC is at fault (I'm on XP Pro).

Thanks for any help and my apologies in advance if I am too technically dense to answer any questions :lol:

MichaelP
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Re: "BADWINDOWSVERSION" Error when reinstalling TRLE

Post by MichaelP » 23 Jul 2009 13:06

This error message and a second pop up window after that is totally normal - assuming you run Windows XP or Vista. You have to remember that the Editor Software was designed before XP or Vista existed, so technically speaking LE and the new Windows versions do not 'like each other'. It is totally safe though to click ok on these errors and proceed with the installation and you will find that the LE works just fine.

High Priestess

Post by High Priestess » 23 Jul 2009 14:13

Michael, thank you for the reassurance and for the prompt response.

I actually just this moment went to Eidos' LE forum and looked at Driber's tutorial. I reinstalled LE then downloaded a random level (Moon Mountain), then I extracted as usual and copied the DAT files over to my TRLE folder. Then I clicked on the .exe file in the usual manner and imagine my surprise when it worked!!! :D

This is an achievement for a technophobe like me (lol). I managed not to fluff it up! This hopefully means now I am home and dry and have a whole world of all these thousands of levels to play - there are loads I like the look of but as they were not playable from download I thought I was going to miss out.

*Gets all excited and goes off to play Moon Mountain before downloading lots of other games* Good job I have done all the chores for today as my derriere will likely be glued to the swivel chair for a good few hours. Wake me up when Friday arrives as I have to go out into the real world :lol:

QRS
Admin
Admin

Post by QRS » 23 Jul 2009 16:51

No idea what exactly these errors mean but so far I have never gotten any problems while using the editor. In some versions I have downloaded you get the error and in some you will not. Probably something that XP doesn't like as it was designed before that OS (Like Michael said)

Would be fun to know what it means though 8)
Currently playing: Babylon Is Fallen

High Priestess

Post by High Priestess » 24 Jul 2009 00:09

Hi, QRS,

Yes, I have encountered one or two "Fatal Errors" since then whilst trying to play the odd download but thankfully this is uncommon and there are plenty to choose from so I simply accept the misfortune and move on to another level :wink:

I have, however, downloaded a couple and found no tr4.exe folder, just an audio and data file plus a Jpeg image. No idea how to work those either! I notice those levels had bad reviews so I wondered if the builders had taken umbrage and deleted the .exe file so that nobody else can play and trash their levels :lol:

I have to be honest, I was merely intrigued to see how a very basic, novice level would look since anything I ever built would be ten times worse!! I was looking for a bit of ineptitude to encourage me :D

vimmers
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by vimmers » 24 Jul 2009 03:39

u simple move the files into your trle folder
audio to audio
data to data
remember to convert the audio files first before moving them
there are possible also english.dat and script.dat they goes to trle root folder

there can also be german.dat if so u have to delete the english,dat in mainfolder

High Priestess

Post by High Priestess » 24 Jul 2009 10:02

Thanks, Vimmers.

How do I convert an audio file? :blush:

MichaelP
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by MichaelP » 24 Jul 2009 10:10

Lo, on the older levels I would strongly encourage you to actually read the readme files. Many do have installation instructions included that you should be able to easily follow.

Note that in the early years it was legally not allowed to include the tomb4.exe in the downloads. Only a few years ago, Eidos has made a statement that this would now be an acceptable practice and since then you can often find the exe included in the package.

Audio file conversion is also typically explained in the readme when it is needed, but it is as simple as clicking on the (typically included) startme.exe file in the audio folder...

High Priestess

Post by High Priestess » 24 Jul 2009 19:13

Thanks again, Michael.

Good advice. I shall in future study the readme file.

I do believe that those I had trouble with were downloaded from quite a way back in the level listings. I sometimes spend up to twenty minutes browsing further and further into the backlog and I believe I was a dozen pages back when I made those two downloads that did not contain the .exe file.

Thanks again for the advice and for enabling me to know how to go about getting some older levels to run. :)

Lo