Where to put files

PC problems/recommendations

Moderators: MichaelP, Tinka

troublewolf

Where to put files

Post by troublewolf » 12 Sep 2008 22:35

Is there a link to a site which explains for the novice where to put files after downloading fan levels and trying to play them? It's been awhile since I've converted files and now have come across some that are puzzling. Such as "PRJ files and TPS files. I'm using the level editor that came with TR Chronicles and the revised wads. It;s probably been over a year since I've done this. :(
"ignorance can be cured but stupidity is forever"

snork
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Post by snork » 13 Sep 2008 00:15

:-o Oooh, I am all for builders releasing their tps files (TREP Preset). With which level did you get one ?
They are loaded into trep to modify the tomb4.exe the way the builder wants to.
If the download contained a tomb4.exe file, the tps is just additional so you could load this preset into TREP and apply some changes, e.g. reduce how far Lara can see (for folks like me, playing on too old computers) or increase the damage enemies inflict (for too good players) or whatever.

PRJ files may be additional files too, so builders and interested players can have a look at them. (example : Piega - Catacomb Towers)
If the download contains .TOM files or .tr4 files, the PRJ files are just additional (= not needed).
If there are none of those, it get's a tiny bit complicated.
---------------------------------------------------
Since the topic at LarasHome sadly was damaged/ lost,
the only place I know right now that explains what to put where is this one : TRF : Installing levels
It is a bit old, but still works.

Nowadays addendum, not explained in that older explanation :
you may also have script2.dat files, load.bmp files and/or tomb4.exe files - All of these go into the main trle folder.

Any further files as e.g. tps files etc. are so special it should be mentioned what to do with them in the level's readme.

Happy Raiding
Thou shall not mess with Lara's resting animation. NEVER. EVER!

troublewolf

Post by troublewolf » 13 Sep 2008 18:39

Thanks Snork!
I checked the readme file and neither one said where to put those files.
If I'm not having a senior moment, the level was "Return to the Ice Palace" or maybe it was "The Tomb of the Nephilim"
Then one level I downloaded has a file titled "BIN" nothing in the read me about where to put things either.
Right now I'm downloading the Level manager and see if thi helps me some. It's been along time since I've tried to do this and I've slept since then! :lol:

snork
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Post by snork » 14 Sep 2008 14:36

Hej troublewolf.

The effects.bin file is an extension to the tomb4.exe file, created by Tomo so you can have rain or snow, just put it together with the tomb4.exe file.

The weather later was integrated into the tomb4.exe itself, so there are not too many levels with the effects.bin .
----------------------------------------------
Something else you can do is create a folder called save in your trle folder and just leave it there.
Some games nowadays require that, they store the extended savegames there, but it is not always mentioned in the readmes.
----------------------------------------------
The levelmanager can't handle savegames in an extra "save" folder nor levels that come with script2.dat or audio in .ogg-format.
All of this is too new for the LM and Paolone wants to dedicate his free time to the new leveleditor and no more to LM.

Happy Raiding
Thou shall not mess with Lara's resting animation. NEVER. EVER!

troublewolf

Post by troublewolf » 16 Sep 2008 19:04

well I don't know what I'm doing wrong! Tru\ying to play "Return to the Ice Palace" It looked like an easy one to load and play. I pu the english and script files were needed, the wads where they go, Tom2pc.exe where it goes and the PRJ file in maps where the others are. Instead of a snowcave a underground room shows up when you click on Ice Palace.
I've re-installed my TRLE from the Chronicles disk, changed the wads and TRexe. I've done this before and now its like nothing works! I've even tried the Level Editor to biuld but I somehow screw that up! I'm about to give up! :(

Ashley

Post by Ashley » 25 Sep 2008 01:28

You could try level manager, and see if that helps. Only problem with level manager is it only allows 800x600.

I haven't played that level ,but maybe the underground room is the level start.

Maybe try another level that has less files like Btb06-The Killing Fields. I would try another level just in case that level you are currently trying to play has some kind of problem.

Gerty
Mod
Mod

Post by Gerty » 25 Sep 2008 01:44

Funny though as I just downloaded this and used a fresh LE, put indeed all the TUT files in GRAPHICS/WADs

Put all the samples in the SOUND/Sample files.

The ENGLISH and SCRIPT in the main directory of the LE.

You don't need the prj or even the tom2pc. I used the one in the LE and it runs on my end...

Never used and will use the level manager as that can screw up things and once you know how to install it is ever so easy....
Oops, I did it again... Image

Ashley

Post by Ashley » 25 Sep 2008 05:24

So how can the level manager mess things up? Just wondering since I may go back to installing levels the manual way.

I have only used it for a couple months now, and I have had some wav files vanish from the samples folder. It has been impossible for me to run a couple Btb Peru levels through the level manager as well. I am not really sure it is the level manager,but then again I have not messed with the samples folder the entire time I have been playing custom levels since 2002.

troublewolf

Post by troublewolf » 26 Sep 2008 22:28

I did get "Jungle Expedition 2" to run. Maybe I was doing something wrong with Ice Palace. I've downloaded the manager but don't really understand it so will stick with the manual way. I don't know...maybe too much meds...or not enough sometimes! :lol:
But thanks for the help everyone! :2thumbsup: