I HATE WINDOWS VISTA!!!

PC problems/recommendations

Moderators: MichaelP, Tinka

Stewart

I HATE WINDOWS VISTA!!!

Post by Stewart » 16 May 2008 12:34

windows vista is a good OS, but...IT HAS TO MANY SECURITY VIOLATIONS!!!!!! I CANT EVEN EDIT MY OWN WORK WITHOUT SECURITY MESSAGES POPPING UP EVERY SECOND!! IT EVEN DOESNT LET ADMINASTRATORS EDIT FILES!!!! :angry: IT MARKS ALL FILES AS READ ONLY AND ADMINISTRATORS CANT EVEN CHANGE IT
AAAARRRRGGGG!!!! .....so is their a way to lower all of these security errors, it dosent even let me convert files in my own tomb raider level editor.
Theory and logic say yes, but life says no.

Magnus
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by Magnus » 16 May 2008 15:30

I think this is what you're looking for. And yeah, it was driving me crazy, too. Googling how to get rid of those messages was one of the first things I did after installing Vista. I hope whoever thought they were a good idea was fired.

I've also heard of people not being able to edit files on the C: drive, but personally I've never had any problems with that. If you're still having problems, try moving your files to your documents folder or something and see if that helps.

snork
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Post by snork » 16 May 2008 16:42

maybe this can help :
I do have not Vista myself, but from users of a different program I understand the "C:\program files" folder and everything under it are protected under Vista and it won't users let delete or even change files. Remember : Microsoft knows better what's good for You and what You want than You do. :angry:

The C:\ disk itself should not give problems but folders Vista thinks need to be protected from the users like c:\program files
- e.g. installing eMule in C:\eMule\ will give no problems, but installing it in C:\Program Files\eMule\ without activating the special Vista tweak(s) will keep you from using it in any sensible way.

So what you can try is :
With a right-button-click on C:\Program Files
you can call the properties and in the security tab you can set permissions for the class USERS.
That maybe will do the trick (allow you to change files).

hth

PS, I understood this is the last month you can officially buy Windows XP from Microsoft ?
Thou shall not mess with Lara's resting animation. NEVER. EVER!

Stewart

Post by Stewart » 16 May 2008 22:10

so if i reinstall the level editor in the documents folder, i will be able to edit files?

snork
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Post by snork » 16 May 2008 22:13

Most probably yes.
Thou shall not mess with Lara's resting animation. NEVER. EVER!

Stewart

Post by Stewart » 16 May 2008 22:49

i was about to reinstall the level editor in documents, but it has to get into the documents from the c drive

Stewart

Post by Stewart » 18 May 2008 04:39

nevermind i reinstalled it in documents and it works without problems now :D

JunoJim

Tip

Post by JunoJim » 13 Jun 2008 04:30

Although it's too late for some, NEVER buy a brand new ANYTHING, until you've heard about other's experience with it !!!

I just read the new Prius doesn't get the mileage they claim - all that kind've stuff. Just because it's new, or has a cool brand name, doesn't make it automatically good... :D

I was still running Win98SE until just a couple years ago.

Also, you may run into this problem. Microsoft Office has decided to show off it's features, so when you open a new document, you get this bothersome sidebar, like you've never seen Word before... Some versions even have the change control turned on, so every time you want to edit a Word document, it comes up with colored markers. It took a month to correct that at our office - LOL

I've made a "Blank" document for Word, and Excel, that has the margins, font, etc. already set up like I want it, then start there.