level manager vista problems

PC problems/recommendations

Moderators: MichaelP, Tinka

tizerist

level manager vista problems

Post by tizerist » 23 Dec 2007 21:22

i cant seem to install levels anymore! if its not one problem its another.

after the tom2pc converter bit i get this....

ImageImageImage

error, error, error. how can i make this thing work??????
Last edited by tizerist on 23 Dec 2007 21:28, edited 1 time in total.
some women come from Korea

tizerist

Re: level manager vista problems

Post by tizerist » 23 Dec 2007 21:26

:angry:

snork
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Post by snork » 23 Dec 2007 21:55

Do You use the Vista-updated Version of the Levelmanager ?
http://www.trlevelmanager.net/download/ ... nguage.exe

Check file permissions on Levelmanager's / trle's folders - What I understand the "programs" folder and everything under it are protected under Vista and it won't users let delete or even change files. Remember : Microsoft knows better what's good for You and what You want than You do. :angry:

You can try to install trle / levelmanager / levels in My_Documents. This I know helped with another program where Vista would not allow for temporary files to be deleted.

Or You could
upgrade vista to WindowsXP :D

edit : I see now : You can call the properties of the folder that holds everything and in the security tab You can set permissions for the class USERS. That maybe will do the trick.
Thou shall not mess with Lara's resting animation. NEVER. EVER!

tizerist

Re: level manager vista problems

Post by tizerist » 23 Dec 2007 22:26

thanks snork, but somehow after a fresh install (the 3rd or 4th one) it works now.

i've come to the conclusion that there is no failsafe method for this program to get it working, , love it as i do, it can be very stubborn.

still playing omegapolis?

QRS
Admin
Admin

Post by QRS » 23 Dec 2007 23:44

I think the problem is Vista. I once had the same problem like you describe here in XP too but I could not fix it. I think it happend due to some level that was messed up.

After a fresh install it worked like a charm again. No problem at all with XP.

With vista I have seen random errors like this. I think Paolone has not been aware of all changes that might be needed for vista. If I could contact him in anyway I could tell him...but it seems that he has disappeared :(
Currently playing: Babylon Is Fallen

tizerist

Post by tizerist » 24 Dec 2007 01:11

QRS wrote:If I could contact him in anyway I could tell him...but it seems that he has disappeared :(
:-o wow, really, how long has that been the case?

of course, he could just be desperately trying to keep the new tomb4 on course for its 2007 release, locked in his basement somewhere....

tizerist

Post by tizerist » 24 Dec 2007 01:15

snork wrote:Remember : Microsoft knows better what's good for You and what You want than You do. :angry: .
oh yeah, you know you can disable that though? i plan to. theres some ridiculous things i'm not allowed into, or not allowed to delete, and i changed it before.

do a google for "disable administrators rights vista"

snork
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Post by snork » 24 Dec 2007 13:54

Luckily I don't have to - still with XP :)

Good to read it works again - Happy Raiding and merry christmas!

And for the kind of trouble QRS mentioned, I ran into those too, and what I do to prevent these now is regular backups of LevelArchive.trl and LevelArchive2.trl.
And not using the readme-analyzer-tool when TOM files and WAD files have different names, but reading the readme myself and pointing the LM to the WADs to use for conversion.
--------------------------
Of course I am still with Omegapolis. Levels like those usually take me a week or several weeks. I get stuck from time to time and have to come back another day, with fresh mind, fresh eyes and hopefully better ability for concentration :rolleyes:

Right now I do not get it how to get out again of some rooms where I think I did everything, including switching back (and forth again) everything.
I'll try again later this day with an earlier save to see if I managed to create a savegame bug, but else I think I will have to surrender and look into the walkthrough or the stuck topic :|
(I am pretty sure there is one topic , or even several :D )
Thou shall not mess with Lara's resting animation. NEVER. EVER!

tizerist

Post by tizerist » 25 Dec 2007 16:46

huh, yeah, i was stuck on the 2nd level for days, with no net access to look at a walkthrough. it was a killer.

i'm all for the 'no cheating' side of things, but sometimes a walkthrough is neccessary.

let me know how you get on. i'm going to put in a mammoth omegapolis session tomorrow. today is for the family. :2thumbsup: