PC problems/recommendations

Moderators: MichaelP, Tinka

rjb
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

A Keyboard Problem

Post by rjb » 14 Dec 2007 21:15

:hi: O wise ones.

A new (to me) problem, that I mentioned in passing in another thread that has not gone away.

I can run around in the current Advent custom level I am playing but then when I stop sometimes I can do nothing else for anything from 5 to 20 seconds (no turns, no jumps, no lighting of flares etc :dunno:). I thought this was perhaps something to do with TR (though it's not happened before) but it is now happening in 2 other places, so it seems unlikely.

The other 2 places are (1) in a tetris game I have, where all is going well until suddenly the keys stop responding - so I'm scuppered :duh:, as you'll know if you know this game and (2) when I am typing text quickly. In fact, in this post, it has now happened 6 times. Suddenly, no more letters will be accepted and so I have to wait until it 'frees itself' again (5 - 20 seconds, as above).

In semi-technical terms it is almost as though a 'buffer' fills up, so everything stops and I have to wait for it to clear itself :banghead: before I can continue. This has not happened before a few days ago (when, perhaps significantly, an 'expert' came to look at the computer :rolleyes5: - not our usual 'expert').

Perhaps this has happened to someone else? :idea: Does anyone know, please, how I can sort it out?
"Come to Me, all you who are weary and heavy-laden, and I shall give you rest."[Matt 11:28]

Diana

Post by Diana » 14 Dec 2007 21:47

I have the same problem with my laptop's keyboard..only that Lara stops only for 3 seconnd max..other times eventhough I stop pressing let's say the left key she keeps moving in that direction. :dunno:

rjb
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Solution

Post by rjb » 14 Dec 2007 23:53

Aha! :jump2: The problem would appear to be solved :jump2: (or at least 'diagnosed'). I decided to change the new 'wireless' keyboard I have been using for a few months back to the older one that I had kept to hand (just in case! :wink:) and suddenly everything seems to work again :jump2:.

The new keyboard needs a wire attached to the back of the base unit to work (though that wire doesn't connect with the keyboard itself :rolleyes5:). That wire's connection to the base unit I have always thought was a bit 'hit and miss' :hammer: and perhaps the 'expert' (dealing with a different problem) a few days ago just jogged it a bit looser still.

That was the final straw :faint:, as it were, and so the problem was basically caused by a loose connection. It may be the new keyboard but I think that less likely, as it has been working fine for a couple of months. I can, in fact, still use the new keyboard (being wireless) but it still has the same problem, I think because I (not being a computer person :hat2:) cannot make that connection any better.

Clearly that connection needs to be made of better quality, then we can test it again properly.

A :thanks: to those who looked in on this thread even if they were unable to solve the problem. (And my numerous checks on Google in the meantime were either too technical for this layman :hat: to understand or addressed some other problem. Sometimes I didn't understand what other people's problems were :eek2:, let alone the solutions.)

=====

To admins: I don't know how long you want to keep this thread available, as it is still possible that others may have this problem themselves. I leave that decision in your capable hands 8).
"Come to Me, all you who are weary and heavy-laden, and I shall give you rest."[Matt 11:28]