help, Lara jumps backwards in circles!

PC problems/recommendations

Moderators: MichaelP, Tinka

Manymee

help, Lara jumps backwards in circles!

Post by Manymee » 08 Sep 2007 18:29

I recently formatted my HD (sigh) and of course, trying to reinstall things I haven't installed for a long time, I have trouble with my joystick. It's a PS Controller via Speedlink Adapter (USB) to PC. I set the control configuration to joystick (atm I am trying to play Chronicles) but already, in the setup, the keyboard arrows don't work, and the "Up/Forwards" button of the controller only moves down, the other three directional buttons don't respond. However, I managed to set up the controls so far, apart from the directional buttons, and then entered the game. But Lara just hops backwards in circles, and when I access the inventory, it scrolls through the items without stopping. Please help. :(

chrimajon

Post by chrimajon » 08 Sep 2007 18:49

Have you activated the controller by going to start>control panel>game controllers then clicking 'add' and 'ok'?
If you don't,windows can't recognise the pad properly..

snork
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Post by snork » 08 Sep 2007 19:07

I am very sorry for You. :hug:
The same happened to me with my former gamepad (USB-HID) - and there was no cure fore it. I managed to enter the key configuration dialog only once per installation and then the game would freeze completely with the next try to call this dialog.

Out of the TRs, Chronicles seems to be the one with the most problems with gamepads/ joysticks.
All that Eidos has to say about it is : Your joystick is not properly configured / calibrated :furious: The heck it isn't !
And it would work fine all the time with TR3, TR3-gold, TR4 demo, TRLE, Times Level and TR2 demo.

You can always try to see if the trupdate from trchronicles.com (for XP and Vista) will help.
No direct linking here, first page for information, second one to pick a download :
http://www.tombraiderchronicles.com/windowsxp.html
http://www.tombraiderchronicles.com/windowsxp2.html

But I'm afraid that in the end You will have to play Chronicles with a different gamepad/joystick or with keyboard (You will need to plug out the joystick / ganepad to do so) or not at all. :?
For me it was the latter , untill I needed a new gamepad anyway - of the 6 or 7 I tested (10 to 20 €) two did not want to work with Chronicles.
Dealers have been very cooperative and always would let me try it out and return them for whatever various reasons.

Good luck
-----------------------------
edit : Wait for Anders to see the topic : He is playing with a PS-gamepad on PC too - so hopefully he has a solution for You.
Thou shall not mess with Lara's resting animation. NEVER. EVER!

Manymee

Post by Manymee » 08 Sep 2007 19:42

chrimajon, opening control panel /gamepads showed me the speedlink adapter as active, however, maybe I should have had the thing physically connected before installing the software, I'll try that again.
Snork, thanks for the tea and sympathy, that sounds indeed bad, I have never had problems playing TR 3 and custom levels either, which are the TR games I have for PC. I mean, I've had Chronicles for years but I never even tried playing it on PC, so I never encountered this before...
well I'll wait for Anders, and in the meantime reinstall the controller...

QRS
Admin
Admin

Post by QRS » 09 Sep 2007 01:23

Sorry but I don't have anything esle to add really. My pad and the USB adapter (rockfire) has always worked like a charm under xp, 98 and vista. I have never seen any bugs and such. It works with tr2-TRA (Including chronicles)

The only thing I can think of is two or more keys mapped to the same key...but I guess you have already checked that.

Sorry for not being able to help you :|
Currently playing: Babylon Is Fallen

quarrystile
Location: My own little world, Lara, me and a couple of baddies UK

Post by quarrystile » 09 Sep 2007 07:45

No help from me either, Manymee. :( But I hope you get it sorted.
Although you may have been correct in saying you had the controller plugged in before installing drivers. USB stuff does not like that :annoyed:
Let us kow how you get on :2thumbsup:

Tip .... Before reformatting, try to save your controller profiles. Then put them back afterwards. ( It saves having to re-map the controller )

chrimajon

Post by chrimajon » 09 Sep 2007 22:16

You shouldn't need any software to use a PS pad on a PC,via a USB adaptor,to play any TR games with the exception of TR1..in the game controller panel it should show up as 'Twin USB joystick' - you then click 'properties' in order to check that Windows is registering the pad,and all the buttons..

Manymee

Post by Manymee » 10 Sep 2007 07:49

Following Snork's post, I checked whether to see if this would happen playing custom levels/ trle levels too. And it doesn't. In the control configuratiuon for that, there are the directional buttons, and they are already set up properly, I didn't have to do anything, just set up the other buttons. In Chronicles, there are no button configurations for the directional buttons. So I'll give Chronicles a miss - I can still play that on PS, after all - and revert to playing custom levels. ( which leads me on to my second post in tech support... sigh) thanks for all your help though.:)

sprysiazni

Post by sprysiazni » 30 Sep 2007 20:01

Conflict in mapped control from gamepad.when you start tr5 and only use keyboard,no problem,but as soon as you touch gamepad button, 2 functions activate at once..ughhh... try what i did, use the gamepad profiler for tr5 or any other game ever made..those games with keyboard only,can now be played with gamepad...try it out here for 30 days free...lots of help at the site..highly recommended for gamepad lovers. :2thumbsup:

Forum:
http://www.pinnaclegameprofiler.com/for ... a7e995254f

And the home page... http://www.pinnaclegameprofiler.com/
Scotty beam me up