I think PC fried..

PC problems/recommendations

Moderators: MichaelP, Tinka

bedazzled

Post by bedazzled » 23 Apr 2007 20:55

Yeah it's cheaper to build your own PC. Plus you can build it to your own specifications. I always build my own that way I know exactly what components have gone into it, and that when the time comes it will be easy to upgrade it.

If you go for a new PC look at an

Intel core 2 duo processor
1 Gig of dual channel DDR Ram
An S.A.T.A hard drive and a PCI express graphics card
A well turned bottom is a beautiful thing to behold.
A well spanked bottom is a beautiful thing to be holding.

Howaito

Post by Howaito » 24 Apr 2007 13:33

The processor and gigabyte of RAM I think are all right, but I'm not so sure about the hard drive nor the graphics card.
I don't know what on Earth SATA is, and my current motherboard doesn't even have a PCI Express slot!

Anyway, I was under the pretence that AGP 8x was a better slot, maybe.

I just hope I can use my old hard drive if it's mixed with this S.A.T.A. thing.
The Cartoon World Returns March MMX

bedazzled

Post by bedazzled » 24 Apr 2007 17:30

Serial A.T.A is the new standard for hard drives and most modern motherboards only support 1 IDE channel, which is used by cd-rom drives & older hard drives.

It's a similar thing with graphics cards PCI express are the modern cards, AGP is on the way out.

Howaito

Post by Howaito » 25 Apr 2007 13:54

But I've not even started on AGP yet! I'm sure they are just there to allow Graphics Cards to exceed the most expensive AGP ones.

bedazzled

Post by bedazzled » 25 Apr 2007 20:37

Howaito wrote:But I've not even started on AGP yet! I'm sure they are just there to allow Graphics Cards to exceed the most expensive AGP ones.
Modern motherboards don't have AGP slots, so you have to go the PCI Express route. It's called progress :)

Howaito

Post by Howaito » 26 Apr 2007 13:31

I sincerely thought that AGP surpassed PCI, maybe not PCI Express though. Are normal PCI slots still on motherboards?
Progress is not a good thing for computers.. although it can run programmes faster, it's still a nightmare of money.

RelicHunter

Post by RelicHunter » 26 Apr 2007 14:25

Yes, motherboards still have regular PCI slots, and AGP > PCI, but PCI-Express > AGP.

Howaito

Post by Howaito » 28 Apr 2007 12:24

Well, I'm glad I don't have to bother with PCI and AGP thingies now, because... fabulous news!

I finally got it working!

You see.... I thought those two little jumper things were the CMOS reset, but they weren't, even though the sods placed it next to the CMOS RESET label. I found it next to an IDE ribbon slot thing, a three pronged CMOS RESET! I used a little connector thing, switched the CLK switch on the set it back to 100mhz and booted computer, allowing it to work!

Better still, I repaired Windows XP so viruses would piss off, and now it works faster. Even more: my old hard drive that was lying around... I connected it to my computer and that got repaired too, so now I have 80gb instead of 40gb and all my old files/music back! I'm so relieved..

I appreciate all the help you gave, I'm glad it's working now! Thank you!

(P.S. Now that I've got it working, maybe I'll overclock the processor...) [/img]