WINDOWS VISTA

PC problems/recommendations

Moderators: MichaelP, Tinka

quarrystile
Location: My own little world, Lara, me and a couple of baddies UK

Post by quarrystile » 31 Oct 2007 18:54

Following on from QRS' reply, TRLE for Vista can be downloaded from here.

http://www.tombraiderchronicles.com/vista/trle.html

tizerist

Post by tizerist » 31 Oct 2007 21:37

okay, i'm still unsure about how exactly to do this, but this is what happened:

>i downloaded tomb raider level EDITOR and installed it (program files).double clicked the .exe. it starts. no problem there.

>i then downloaded level MANAGER 1.4 and saved it, then extracted, then went to setup. the setup fails. "this application has failed to start because MSVBVM50.DLL was not found."
then another error window saying "an error occured while registering the file C:\Windows\System32\NmBMP2JPEG.ocx"

i hope this makes enough sense to garner a solution.

any help appreciated.

EDIT: C2 and LM vista downloads are back up. i'll update you.
some women come from Korea

tizerist

Post by tizerist » 31 Oct 2007 22:12

oh my god according to the installation there is missing files all over the shop..... :banghead:

and thats even after i did the rev.c thing.....

QRS
Admin
Admin

Post by QRS » 31 Oct 2007 22:20

Those files are runtime files (visual basic) Download vb runtime 5 and (or) 6 to get those dll files :2thumbsup:

As the levelmanager is written in VB (I think...) those files are needed. No idea why you don't have them.
Currently playing: Babylon Is Fallen

tizerist

Post by tizerist » 31 Oct 2007 22:46

okay, i have blundered my way into the main LM screen.

however, when i try to add new level and then play it, it goes and plays the same old TR4 tutorial.

what am i missing?
Last edited by tizerist on 31 Oct 2007 23:58, edited 1 time in total.

QRS
Admin
Admin

Post by QRS » 31 Oct 2007 23:57

What is difficult? To find the runtimes or the the files one by one so to speak?

Here is a link for the packages:

http://www.trsearch.org/Tools.php

You can of course download the dll files one by one by that is too much work IMO ;)

No idea why this happens actually. It has happened to me too but only under XP. I got the impression that those files was already installed when you installed the OS but maybe they have been deleted in some way? No idea.

tizerist

Post by tizerist » 31 Oct 2007 23:59

last post updated (at exactly the same time you posted lol)

okay, i have blundered my way into the main LM screen.

however, when i try to add new level and then play it, it goes and plays the same old TR4 tutorial.
what am i missing?

EDIT: i've even got to the same point with the vista version (albeit in italian) and it just wont install any levels.
to think i've done this successfully about 5 times times before as well.

on the part where it says "install compress trle" it is missing the files that are quite obviously inside the 4 zipped folders, but it isnt reading them, files such as tom.tr2 and tomb4.

any ideas?

Tim

Post by Tim » 01 Nov 2007 17:57

Tizerist

Not sure if this will help, but here goes.

When I switched to Vista, I installed the Vista LE, but not the LM. I had a few teething problems as the LE installed in a folder called 'Tomb Raider - Level Editor' and not 'Core Design' as with XP.

I also found that the shortcut the LE created in the top of the Start Menu (picture below but the shortcut has now been deleted) stayed linked to the first game I installed and not the current game. Each time I used it, it started up an old game, even thought the whole folder for that game had been moved.

There are a few extra files in the Vista LE, but building the levels manually is no different to XP (can't comment on LM as I don't use it). I use the 'recent programme' shortcut in the Start Menu or click on the Tomb4.exe in the folder.

"We have reached the limits of what is possible with computers" ......................... John Von Neumann, 1949

tizerist

Post by tizerist » 01 Nov 2007 21:31

Tim wrote:When I switched to Vista, I installed the Vista LE, but not the LM. I had a few teething problems as the LE installed in a folder called 'Tomb Raider - Level Editor' and not 'Core Design' as with XP.
]
thanks tim.

Yes, I remember a folder "trle" going into the core design folder when i done it with XP, and it does indeed create a ''Tomb Raider - Level Editor' folder this time round, although with XP i always used the "compress trle" method of setting up the LM so i have never downloaded anything apart from Lm before this.

I'm not at all sure about the significance of these different folders, as the "compress trle" method was almost auto-pilot, and now that I have been told to download the vista LE instead of the compress method it has made things a bit more complicated.

I need a guiding hand on this, so we can go through it step by step.

I'll keep checking back hourly. thanks.

Tim

Post by Tim » 01 Nov 2007 22:35

Tizerist

As I said, I've never used LM, always done it manually, so here's how I got mine set up.

+ downloaded the Vista LE from
http://www.tombraiderchronicles.com/vista/trle.html

+ unzipped it and ran the program. It automatically installed the LE and the game files (tomb4.exe. audio, data etc) but in this new directory (TR - Level Editor). It also created the shortcut on the Start Menu.

+ create a back up of all the original game files (used to be the trle folder).

+ to build a level, copy the custom files into the TR - Level Editor folder, overwriting if necessary.

+ the shortcut in the Start Menu only worked (for me anyway) with the first level. It's path directory followed that tomb4.exe when I moved it, so it only played that level. Otherwise, click on the tomb4.exe icon in the TR - Level Editor folder.

+ when you've finished the custom level, either delete all the contents of TR - Level Editor folder or move them to a back-up if you wish to keep it.

+ create a fresh copy of the trle from your back-up and copy them into the TR - Level Editor folder and you are free to build a new level.

Hope this helps

PS. Check your PM
"We have reached the limits of what is possible with computers" ......................... John Von Neumann, 1949

QRS
Admin
Admin

Post by QRS » 01 Nov 2007 23:39

The only difference from a compressed LM+LE setup is that you install the level editor first and when you install the level manager you need to point out where the LE is etc.

You can of course have an old LE installation and point the LM to it but in this case I think it is best that you first uninstall everyting tr related. The level editor, level manager etc. (Hence me saying you need to delete all folders which the LM creates as you can't really uninstall it)

then install a fresh editor, then a fresh manager :) Preferably the vista editor and the rev c2 level manager.

You can find a more detailed installation guide at Paolones homepage:

http://www.trlevelmanager.it/setup_eng.htm

tizerist

Post by tizerist » 06 Nov 2007 01:59

i'm on the verge of asking paolo himself for help, for as QRS mentioned earlier, i cant even do a clean install. there seems to be some files left over each time and some of my unwanted settings (which i changed in a bout of sweaty desperation) seem to manifest themselves again after what i thought was a clean fresh installation.

i've even thought about having one of my 3 hard drives to run xp instead of vista, but that smacks of sweeping it under the carpet a bit.

i'd rather tackle the vista issues head on, otherwise i can just see me writing posts like this in 2 years time instead of now....

tizerist

Post by tizerist » 22 Nov 2007 23:12

UPDATE

just to say that after a fresh clean reinstall of vista (because of an unrelated problem) that the vista installation of LM has worked first time this time round. :2thumbsup:

happy days. i done exactly the same thing as before (apart from having to navigate the installation in italian) but this time it was fine. thanks for your help anyway peeps.

Fairy Godfather

Post by Fairy Godfather » 15 Dec 2007 09:53

Have just installed LE on my vista pc. All works ok.
One problem.

Playing back to Barkang and want to use a savegame from forum. Where do I put it?

I can't find any savegames in the various folders of the installation.

Forum Effect.

Found them in Compatability Files Folder
Age is no bar
To Bowls and TR

anya marie mcdonald

Post by anya marie mcdonald » 17 Dec 2007 13:28

AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!!!:hmm:

i see that billy-boy and the goons at microdopedout :mad: are still getting the consumer to do Q&A on windows :widemouth: :widemouth:

ok seriously folks, are you really surprised at the way vista is working :huh:
thjis is the way gates and company have done buisiness since they did the os for apple back in the late 1970's early 1980's, why do you think jobs and wazniack started doing the os in-house?

just my .00002 worth.
anya
what's ment to be will allways find a way