WINDOWS VISTA

PC problems/recommendations

Moderators: MichaelP, Tinka

quarrystile
Location: My own little world, Lara, me and a couple of baddies UK

Post by quarrystile » 30 Apr 2007 18:20

huif & Suz.
Why don't you un-install Vista from your notebooks and put XP on?

I know that in the UK, whenever you buy a new PC / Laptop it will come with the original Windows setup disc ( I think it is a legal requirement )
So, not sure about your respective countries, but should have a Vista disc that came with the Notebook so that you can put it back later.

SuzanneJack
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by SuzanneJack » 30 Jul 2007 16:50

Has anyone D/L the vista patch???? I'm going to try it now.

http://www.tombraiderchronicles.com/vista/index.html

quarrystile

Post by quarrystile » 30 Jul 2007 22:23

Hello Suz.

How did the patch work??

tombraider chronicles are pretty good with thier stuff.

Isis

Post by Isis » 07 Aug 2007 18:25

What happened to Suz? :-o

I've had to get a new computer as my old one was on its last legs and all the ones I looked at had Vista so that's what I've got (do they not now sell new PCs with XP?) So far it's a bit scary, some things work and others don't. Haven't tried the Editor yet but I'd like to know how Suz got on with the patch, if it is a patch. From what I can see the download on Chronicles is for the whole Editor at over 100 mb. I don't want to have to download the whole thing! :anxious:

quarrystile

Post by quarrystile » 07 Aug 2007 19:50

Yes, it has been over a week since Suz posted. I hope everything is fine with her. Unless her PC has crashed :?

But true, new PC's now come with Vista. It is annoying that you don't get an option of which Windows OS you would like on it.
I have my own Windows XP disc so I can just format a new PC and put XP onto it.
There used to be a time when you would have the original windows disc given to you with the purchase of a new computer, but not now !!
What they do now is put software onto the computer so that you can create or perform a system recovery. Not quite the same. What happens if your PC will not even boot up and you DO NOT have the original disc ???

Just a cop out if you ask me !

Take yourself, for instance, IF you have a Windows XP disc then you could install it on your nice new PC. But, what if you decide to put back the Vista it came with?? You can't as you do not have the disc. So you have to go out and BUY one !!

Grrr.... makes me mad

well, that's my rant for the day. Now where are my Valium :wink:

ps. IF you were fortunate enough to have the Vista installation disc given to you when you bought your computer, AND you have an XP installation disc, then you are laughing. You can chop and change as you please :D
You could also set your PC up as a "dual" boot. ( meaning you could have XP AND Vista on the same pc and flick between the two ... wow ) :-o

Isis

Post by Isis » 07 Aug 2007 21:45

Hi Quarrystile

Yes I asked about the disk and was told about the system recovery thing so no I don't have a disk. I do have an XP disk but don't want to give up on Vista just yet, especially as I have just downloaded the level editor from Chronicles and it seems to be working okay.

So from what you are saying, if at some point my computer decides to completely die on me I would have to go out and buy a Vista disk just to reinstall it? What a swizz! :annoyed: Oh well, I just hope the computer stays healthy :anxious:

Don't suppose anyone knows of a fix for Dungeon Keeper? I've tried it in compatability mode for 95 and XP, still won't run. :(

snork
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Post by snork » 07 Aug 2007 22:22

As far as I know, You can get a "Anytime upgrade CD" from Microsoft for free - well , they charge You p&p, in Germany 3,57€.

It is a CD to install any complete Version (basic, premium, blablabla) of Vista. Acquiring the license is then a matter of some online business with microsoft.
Since You already own a license, in case of a complete loss of Your system, You can ask microsoft for help.

But I should not wonder, if those recovery-CDs/DvDs of Yours are
fully working Vista-install-CDs, maybe with additional stuff from Your PC manufacturer.
--------------------
Many manufacturers still offer PCs/ notebooks with XP, e.g. Lenovo sells (sold ?) the consumer notebooks with vista and the business models with XP.
Thou shall not mess with Lara's resting animation. NEVER. EVER!

bene
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by bene » 08 Aug 2007 00:05

Lap tops and PCs with XP can still be bought.
My daughter just got one on the Dell site.

Tim

Post by Tim » 24 Aug 2007 07:47

bene wrote:Lap tops and PCs with XP can still be bought.
Bene was spot on. I was looking to replace my PC so I looked at the Dell site a couple of weeks ago and they were offering the option of XP or Vista on all machines.

Not any more

They now only offer the choice on the top of the range Desktops (didn't look at laptops). As I've just had to buy one, I'm hoping it's because all the gremlins have been sorted. Keep your fingers crossed.
"We have reached the limits of what is possible with computers" ......................... John Von Neumann, 1949

quarrystile

Post by quarrystile » 24 Aug 2007 18:58

Tim :hi:

Did you get an installation disc, or are they doing that system recovery thingy ???

Tim

Post by Tim » 25 Aug 2007 07:47

quarrystile wrote:Did you get an installation disc, or are they doing that system recovery thingy ???
I can't answer that yet, I've only just ordered it and it's not due for delivery until 4th Sept (ish).
"We have reached the limits of what is possible with computers" ......................... John Von Neumann, 1949

Tim

Post by Tim » 29 Aug 2007 19:44

Tim wrote:
quarrystile wrote:Did you get an installation disc, or are they doing that system recovery thingy ???
I can't answer that yet, I've only just ordered it and it's not due for delivery until 4th Sept (ish).
The new PC arrived today. To answer Mikes's question, yes it did come with a Vista disc (phew !!!).

Just for everyones information, all the programs I've put on it so far have loaded and are working fine.
Level Editor : downloaded a Vista version, works fine.
Paint Shop Pro : no new drivers needed.
Epson printer : no disc or drivers needed.
Canon Scanner : just needed the original disc.
GSP Money matters (1996) : loaded straight on from the original disc.

The only one that wouldn't load was BT Internet. Don't need it anyway, I just use IE instead. The Hub still connects, I just can't control whether it's turned on or off.

pwlmabr

Post by pwlmabr » 12 Sep 2007 00:43

:2thumbsup: I have installed LevelManager with the patch from tombraiderchronicles.com for VISTA and it works fine with VISTA HOME premium. I've have been playing for several weeks without a single problem!!! :2thumbsup:

tizerist

Post by tizerist » 31 Oct 2007 17:43

so do i download the vista version or the regular v.1.4 with patch?
or does the patch also work with the new vista version?

i've actually tried both, with no success.

can someone (patiently) guide me through this please?
i'll only have to do it once after all. :roll:

edit: from bad to worse. now i cant even download LM vista or C2 from the LM website.....
some women come from Korea

QRS
Admin
Admin

Post by QRS » 31 Oct 2007 18:22

My suggestion is that you make a clean fresh install of the level manager 1.4 first (Don't forget to delete all files that the levelmanager makes when you install it)

After you have installed the "base" so to speak, go for the latest C2 patch and all should work like a charm.

Oh another thing: If you use Paolones compressed level editor+ level manager things might go wrong. I have no idea if it affects vista support but I know it messed up my sounds when I used that option.

So install the level editor from another source.

Other than that it should work.
Currently playing: Babylon Is Fallen