PC problems/recommendations

Moderators: MichaelP, Tinka

snork
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

gamepad getting old

Post by snork » 11 Feb 2007 17:51

Hej everybody.

I have this gamepad (USB for PC) , It seems to be from 'hama' called double action air grip. Now it's getting old - or rather worn - and the analog stick sometimes does not want to flip back into neutral position.
This can be very annoying when I let Lara have a look around and when I release the look button she unexpectedly hops back into the abyss.
Also, when I finally mastered a tricky jumping and she does not stop on the final pillar but continues running, into death of course. :argue:
Sometimes it's useful - helped me through the looking glass in Lara's dream 9 :D

So I tried to help the gamepad :idea: and gave that spherish analog stick-base a dosis of my teflon-silikon-whatever-oil-spray. (supposed to be used on the bicycle)

This did not really help, but neither did it worsen the situation.
Well, the fingers got oily for that day.

Now I wonder :

Does anybody have a solution/ repair method for this ?

How long should a gamepad resist ?

In case I need to buy a new one : Do You know about gamepads, that
a) are compatible with TR-official games. Like I can't play TR-C with mine - Lara won't accept any advice and continuously hop backwards in a circle.
b) are affordable
c) fit into big hands ?

No, I can't play with the keyboard, I stumble right into the next wall and Lara will die every other second :-P

bye
Thou shall not mess with Lara's resting animation. NEVER. EVER!

chrimajon

Post by chrimajon » 16 Feb 2007 15:43

Snork,like you I've always played TR with a pad - first on Playstation,and now on PC..no way can I use a keyboard!!

My recommendation is the pad I use - A Saitek P880. It has it's own profiling software so you can map the keyboard keys to the buttons on the pad,and it's very similar to the PS pad so I find it perfect :D
It's comfortable,ideal for 'larger' hands,and works beautifully with all TR games,including 'Chronicles' which is a bit notorious for disliking gamepads!

I see you're in Germany,and it's available from Amazon.de

http://www.amazon.de/s/ref=nb_ss_w/028- ... aitek+P880

Jenni

Post by Jenni » 17 Feb 2007 20:30

Original playstation game player here too - and also can't master the keyboard. As I'm used to the playstation controller configuration, I simply use that and plug it in to the PC using an adaptor - it works perfectly with all TR games except Legend (I don't have Legend to play to know but assume there shouldn't be a problem).

QRS
Admin
Admin

Post by QRS » 17 Feb 2007 20:56

Puhh..finally some hardcore pad raiders :lol: I thought I was alone in the jungle of keyboard lovers :D I once tried to finish my own first level in egypt and beyond and I gave up after 3 hours...with a psx pad I do it in 40 min :lol:

I have to agree with Jenni here. A PSX pad is the only thing you need. There is no pad IMO that ever will beat them when it comes to feeling and also durability. If you don't drop them or throw them hehe, they last for a loooong time. There are a lot of PC pads you can use but none that are equally good as the original. Especially the D-pad is sooo nice on the psx pad :D

You will need an USB converter of course!
Currently playing: Babylon Is Fallen

chrimajon

Post by chrimajon » 17 Feb 2007 21:07

'Pad Raiders'..I love it!! :lol:

Each to their own,QRS,but I've found the Saitek to be actually better than the PS pad..and I used that for 5 years :-o

Also worth mentioning is that you'll not only need a USB adaptor to use the PS pad on a PC,but also a nifty little program called 'JoytoKey'

http://www.electracode.com/4/joy2key/Jo ... ersion.htm

QRS
Admin
Admin

Post by QRS » 17 Feb 2007 23:59

Yes, indeed the opinions are different :D I will check out this pad you mention, as it will not hurt to test something new hehe.

And yes, that program you mention is needed but only for tombraider 1! (and UB1)

ALL the other games supports the pad as an ordinary windows pad and you can set the keys etc in the tombraider game so they work exactly as the psx version.
Currently playing: Babylon Is Fallen

snork
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Post by snork » 18 Feb 2007 21:13

Thank You, this Saitek thing sounds nice, and very affordable.
I will look for it tomorrow in our consumer electronics shops here :)
chrimajon wrote: the Saitek ..and I used that for 5 years :-o
:-o Five Years! I wrecked mine in less than 1 +1/2 Year - without throwing it anywhere in anger.
Yes that will come handy, too. I understand I need it to play TR-1 with any gamepad on the PC. ?
QRS wrote:Puhh..finally some hardcore pad raiders :lol:
And thank You for this new term. I use to refer to myself as bad raider - because it sounds still better (more 8) ) than 'average' raider (skills-wise); but from now on I am a hardcore pad raider - sounds like I would raid with sunglasses on and with my back turned to the screen. :D

chrimajon

Post by chrimajon » 18 Feb 2007 22:53

Snork,you don't need 'JoytoKey' if you use the Saitek pad..it comes with it's own software which allows you to set any keyboard command to any of the buttons on the pad - and because you save each 'profile' you make,you can configure the pad for just about any game out there!

snork
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Post by snork » 03 Mar 2007 15:54

chrimajon wrote:Snork,you don't need 'JoytoKey' if you use the Saitek ...
So I saw. :)

But the P880 had a major problem for me, that was : only two shoulder buttons. ( with four I used them for : draw guns, shoot/action/grab/etc. , look, duck/crawl)
So I bought the P990, same shape and everything as the P880, but four shoulder buttons and a disturbing blue 'diode-light'.

Result : about the most frustrating week of raiding I ever had, even worse than playing and getting to love a level that only towards the end gets so demanding that I can't finish it.
Those P880 and P990 have a different button layout - instead of the four buttons on top-right they have 6 buttons - and I subcunsciously use the feeling in the right thumb to know which button my thumb is lying upon right now. It was so much calling up the inventory when trying to roll or - aaargh, everything was confused ingame. The most simple timed events imagineable would become completely impossible.
Also, I got so accustomed to the small, errm, 'distance' I had to move the analog stick, that the 'bigger distance' and the less 'resistance' the analog stick of the Saitek-P990 offer made me steer Lara like she was drunk :D

So, once one get's used to a gamepad layout, I think it's impossible to change.
About a Year ago, I experimented with rearranging wich button would do what, because I felt it might help me in tricky jump sequences or timed runs and it took only about a week to get accustomed to it. (and it helped :) , though occasionally I would start lighting a lot of flares.)

But to get accustomed to a gamepad with a different button layout for the most importamt buttons (all the running/jumping on those four buttons for the right thumb) - almost impossible.
It would take so long and be so frustrating that one will sure give up. So just today I went and exchanged the gamepad with the Saitek P580, which has mainly the layout I'm used to (playstation gamepad like I think), only it has even more buttons in the middle of the gamepad - I still don't know what I will be putting there - maybe the Keyboard-1 (hotbutton for pistols)

I even got 6 euros back when I returned/exchanged the gamepad :) and with it being from Saitek I hope official TR-game compatability will be ensured.

So I hope to have some fun again this afternoon with trle.
Thanks again.

chrimajon

Post by chrimajon » 03 Mar 2007 18:27

Sorry you found the P880 such a disappointment,Snork :blush:
Personally I found it far better than the PS pad,both in directional control with the D-Pad(I've never been able to properly steer Lara by analogue..),and in the use of the buttons - especially the main four on the right,which are closer together than those on the PS pad and,for me at least,make moves like a backflip-twist-grab much easier.
Just for interest,here's how I have mine configured..as you'll see,buttons 1,2,3 and 4 are mapped exactly as the PS pad - jump,draw,action,roll - and I have no trouble hitting 'look' or 'crouch' with 5 and 6 - I never get the two mixed up and look when I need to duck!!
Anyway,good luck with the P580! :D

quarrystile
Location: My own little world, Lara, me and a couple of baddies UK

Post by quarrystile » 04 Mar 2007 08:54

Hi Chrim,Snork.
Well there you go Chrim, great minds think alike. I use Saitek too. P2600

never had a problem with it, programmable. Programming and driver software installed without a hitch. Not found a game it does not work with yet.
As a test I even programmed the keys as letters and wrote in Microsoft Word !
( limited to 10 buttons so I could not get ALL the alphabet programmed, but I won't knock marks off for that :wink: )

I find it difficult to use the keyboard too, I keep dropping it.

snork
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Post by snork » 06 Mar 2007 16:47

chrimajon wrote:Sorry you found the P880 such a disappointment,Snork :blush:
No, I do not think it is bad - It's justz that I can not accomodate to any different layout.
Anyway,good luck with the P580! :D

Oh boy, I am afraid that this is going to be a never ending story. :(
I hoped that one Saitek being TRC-compatible all Saiteks would be.
The button layout of the P580 is fine, but when put to analog mode TR-C and the level manager
both receive "forward" commands when nothing happens. -> unusable. :-P

Unlike You I suck with this steering-cross thingie and need the analog stick.
TRLE levels work fine with the P580, but I finally want to play that Chronicles,
which I bought mainly because of the editor on the second CD.

OK - Tomorrow I'll try the next one, I'll have a look at that P2600.

If nothing else helps, I just might end up with the original playstation gamepad,
although that will be quite some money with the converter and all.

chrimajon

Post by chrimajon » 06 Mar 2007 22:44

What do you mean by both receiving forward commands?..if the 580 works ok with custom levels it should work the same with TRC - make sure you have the control configuration correct in the options menu of TRC..

troublewolf

Post by troublewolf » 01 Dec 2007 05:23

I've always used a keyboard with a touch screen-(I am partially disabled with arthritsis) and have limited use of my hands/fingers. Bare with me when I ask this...when using a game pad, which do you use the most...thumb or fingers? I've never had the chance to use one but wonder if it wouldn't be easier for me to get through the games, especially timed runs with a pad. I would hate to buy one and then not be able to use it so can anyone suggest perhaps one thats not too expensive but workable with TR games? Right now I am able to use both thumbs and forefingers fairly well and thats why I've always used a touch screen with a broken keyboard.
Any suggestions will be appreciated :D
"ignorance can be cured but stupidity is forever"

quarrystile
Location: My own little world, Lara, me and a couple of baddies UK

Post by quarrystile » 01 Dec 2007 09:15

troublewolf,

It is the thumbs that you tend to use most. The left thumb operates the left " joystick" while the right thumb gets to play with the buttons.
Forefingers are occasionally uses for the shoulder buttons at the front.

Holding the pad may be your problem. ( although they tend to just sit comfortably in the palms )

I agree it would be unfortunate if you were to buy one and then found you could not use it............
could you not get a loan of one, just to see how you would manage?
You would not even need to plug it in, just hold it to get the feel for one.