Notebook is making a really loud noise ever since I used Scripter

PC problems/recommendations

Moderators: MichaelP, Tinka

Luisa

Notebook is making a really loud noise ever since I used Scripter

Post by Luisa » 10 Oct 2020 22:59

Ok, first things first, I bought my notebook last year and I had the cooler changed and the pieces cleaned last week.

So, I used the Scripter4 program (this version), to enable level select on multilevel TR4 games and since then all the TR games I launch (even the ones I didn't use the scripter on, even non-TR4 Tomb Raider levels) are causing a really loud, constant, fan noise that just doesn't stop or alleviate. I have no idea what's going or nor how to stop it, since I've uninstalled Scripter4 and the modified games and the problem still persists. I'm having this problem before I would even get the cooler changed and the machine cleaned btw, which I had it done precisely because of the loud fan noise, but it didn't solve it. I've been playing TR levels on my notebook and older PCs and I never had problems with loud fan, so I'm positive it has nothing to do with the machine itself.

Nomad

Re: Notebook is making a really loud noise ever since I used Scripter

Post by Nomad » 11 Oct 2020 13:17

I don't know anything about Scripter4, but you can try opening task manager (you can select it by pressing ctrl+alt+del, in Win 8 at least) and sort the running programs by cpu and disc usage by clicking on cpu or disc bar, and see what program is tiring up the computer, and then disable/shut them if it is safe to do so (if it is not a windows file etc). Generally the programs with the high numbers are the ones causing the fan to spin because it has to work extra hard.

Caesum

Re: Notebook is making a really loud noise ever since I used Scripter

Post by Caesum » 11 Oct 2020 17:54

Could you provide detailed system and hardware info? Eg. through dxdiag? It might actually be either a driver or hardware issue after all.

It's hard for me to believe Scripter could break something, but I suppose you could check Task Manager like Nomad suggested. If there's something clogging your CPU then laptop might become louder. Do you shut down your laptop or put to sleep? If the second, then maybe shut it down completely and turn on again so all running tasks are closed.

Currently drivers can also regulate GPU fan's speed depending on GPU usage. If nothing else helps then maybe you need to reinstall the drivers? Very Microsoftesque answer I know but sometimes it does help.

I doubt this will provide any insight into what might be happening, but check Event Viewer for any errors or warnings that might be related to your hardware. Also listen to your laptop and determine if it's a GPU fan making noise or maybe something else.

If your fan was cleaned recenty, then another possibility is that the guys who did it might have botched the job and it's only a coincidence that it happened after using Scripter... Happened to me recently actually.