Zuxuna's review on my level Bartoli's Return

helping builders & reviewers hone their skills

Moderators: Raymond, eTux, QRS, EssGee

alan

Zuxuna's review on my level Bartoli's Return

Post by alan » 11 Feb 2020 21:46

Just to say that I completely disagree with the way Zuxuna scored my level Bartoli's Return. 1 in gameplay & puzzles, 2 in enemies, objects & secrets, 1 in atmosphere and 1 in textures. I think it's very unfair that he/she had scored it that way, especially that 1 in gameplay. I understand that the surroundings might be the worst part of the game, but seriously, why such a low score to gameplay and objects? Those were the strong points of the game, so to speak. I bet he/she didn't even play the whole game, he/she simply put attention to the environments and decided that that should affect the other categories of the level.

Besides, his/her review doesn't even provide constructive criticism. I mean, just say that there wasn't any motivation in the game and that's it, doesn't even give details about the good parts of the game, what should be improved, what should be kept, nothing. And by constructive criticism I mean The Snarky Lesbian's review, for example, I completely understand all the bad points in the game she mentioned, as well as the good ones. But my level totally didn't deserve that 1 in gameplay, of course not. I don't expect this to be corrected in a way, I'm not asking for that, leave it the way it is, just wanted to express what I think of that score. So peace and keep on raiding :2thumbsup: :2thumbsup:

JesseG

Re: Zuxuna's review on my level Bartoli's Return

Post by JesseG » 11 Feb 2020 22:31

I agree that the review missed a good opportunity to be more helpful. Clarification on which "glitches and bugs" they encountered would be helpful, as well as why they felt there was a clash in the theme. Calling the levelset "unmotivated" is too harsh. The Snarky Lesbian went above and beyond giving you building advice and I hope it will help you grow as a builder. :)

MichaelP
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by MichaelP » 13 Feb 2020 12:05

alan, well done on voicing your opposing point of view here. If Zuxuna reads this, maybe it triggers a few thoughts of updating comments or even scores- We'll see...

Lara_Fox_Croft

Post by Lara_Fox_Croft » 28 May 2020 13:12

I don't use to defend reviewers, quite the opposite in general...But when I played this levelset I felt like "OMG did the builder thought that players would play it?" Because the first level is horrible, even a beta version of my early levels didn't look that rushed....About the gameplay a 1 is hard, I had some 3 on some of my levels, when others put some 7 to 10, well, we have to get over it. Maybe a bad rate from some reviewers could be something to make you react, give you courage to do better, to prove that you can do better. When I started trle, like 10 years ago, I had no one to give me any feedback, or beta team etc etc...So the reviews were the only thing I had, and I improved with it, so I'm pretty grateful when a review points out something I didn't realize. So even if the review is hard, use it as an element of improvement, not as a punishment...

Well in this case, it sounds like the review didn't provide any "real" element to improve, and it seems that the review has been deleted in the end. A good thing I suppose. Anyway, I think you should be more careful when building a levelset, it takes time to make a solid one. I'm working on my project since 5 years now...And it is far from being finished. So IMO you should really take "bad" reviews as a starting point to ovoid same mistakes, your 5 levels don't show a great improvement in term of rating, so a bit of "self questioning" could be a good thing, and then react to it, by doing something better, we can"t all be Titak but we all can have "quite" nice rates I think, by providing a polished level/adventure. Maybe I should make a comment to send you by message about your work to tell you in detail what you could improve.