Fake Reviews on Mehrbod's level

helping builders & reviewers hone their skills

Moderators: Raymond, eTux, QRS, EssGee

Alex Chap

Re: Fake Reviews on Mehrbod's level

Post by Alex Chap » 10 Feb 2020 23:12

Guys, we all know who is behind this review...

Treeble
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Post by Treeble » 11 Feb 2020 00:08

Ours is a relatively small community and there are several players that don't even submit reviews, but I do agree a password log-in system would be a welcome addition. I guess the only issue at hand is that someone would need to develop and implement such solution.
Raider Daze (pt-br) | Do more of what makes you happy!

Jorge22
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by Jorge22 » 11 Feb 2020 00:36

Alex Chap wrote:
10 Feb 2020 23:12
Yes, we do. Not normality at all. It never was. :)

Well, just to address Reggie ( don't be mad at me ;) ) - that's the problem with polysemy. It would have been fine if it were poetry.

ReggieTR

Post by ReggieTR » 11 Feb 2020 01:27

Jorge22 wrote:
11 Feb 2020 00:36
Alex Chap wrote:
10 Feb 2020 23:12
Yes, we do. Not normality at all. It never was. :)

Well, just to address Reggie ( don't be mad at me ;) ) - that's the problem with polysemy. It would have been fine if it were poetry.
Polysemy - the coexistence of many possible meanings for a word or phrase.

By that, I take it you are referring to the idea we don't know for certain who hijacked Ejecta's account?

Well, I have been doing some further investigation, and I am about 90% sure I know who it is now. I have also contacted Ejecta directly through her social media profiles. I hope she will be here to speak for herself so we can put an end to any kind of ambiguity or as you say...polysemy.

Jorge22
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by Jorge22 » 11 Feb 2020 01:32

Lol.

You know, I'd be utterly surprised (taking into account a continuous kind of attitude, a few sensitive posts and the style and vocabulary) if we weren't all speaking of the very same individual. :)

Anyway, by polysemy I'm saying the way your post was phrased could perfectly well lead the chosen few to assume you might be talking of Mehrbod had that been your intention or not at all.
I'm not a lawyer but I deal with words and I really think Phil saw just that.

ReggieTR

Post by ReggieTR » 11 Feb 2020 01:51

Jorge22 wrote:
11 Feb 2020 01:32
Lol.

You know, I'd be utterly surprised (taking into account a continuous kind of attitude, a few sensitive posts and the style and vocabulary) if we weren't all speaking of the very same individual. :)

Anyway, by polysemy I'm saying the way your post was phrased could perfectly well lead the chosen few to assume you might be talking of Mehrbod had that been your intention or not at all.
I'm not a lawyer but I deal with words and I really think Phil saw just that.
Ah I understand you now.

I would be reluctant to point any fingers until evidence came to light. Some evidence has emerged tonight but I'll hold back until Ejecta hopefully comes to speak for herself. Just to rule out any uncertainty on that front.

MichaelP
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by MichaelP » 11 Feb 2020 10:20

my, my - so much excitement on such a simple thing...

To be clear, I completely agree it would be much better if reviewer's could simply use their forum account here and hence you had that password protection rather than anyone just picking a name from the list. Could still be "hacked" I guess but would then require some more significant "criminal energy".

There are two main reasons why this is not the case right now:

1) "technical" > Over the last almost 20 years, I sometimes did have a bit of time on my hand to looked into this and simply could not figure out technically how to make it work and then dropped the ball on the topic again. If I were smart enough to implement this over a weekend I would be happy to do it, but apparently I am not. There is a difference between "switching on features in a forum software package that you download pre-configured with relatively simple 'how to use'- instructions versus having to write code yourself that integrates another database and webpage scripts with the forums secure session management and password mechanisms. Sure - can be done, no question. But I have not managed to do it and chances are slim that I ever will

2) "moral" > Over the last almost 20 years, 62600+ reviews have been posted in the way it currently works. Yes, there have been occasional issues. Easy ones, like the accident of picking the wrong name from the list, which then got corrected by the reviewer or somebody else noticing and informing me accordingly. Or indeed 'fake reviews' where somebody tries to get a review in with having or using their own name. But the key point is: Those are extremely few and far between AND in most cases they are either so stupidly done that I do not even post them because I can see immediately that this was not posted by the particular reviewer her/himself OR if that slips past me, then there are rather observant people in this community who point me to suspicious cases, which I then look into and go "fix" accordingly. OR - the reviewers let me know that there is a review under their name that was not posted by them and then it gets removed. So - am I sure that there are zero "fake reviews"? No. But I am sure you can count them on few hands and the impact they have overall is absolutely negligible.

Having said all that - I did know Teone and nad's reviews were posted by them (as they confirmed by posting here), but will check into Ejecta's now and likely remove it. End of story, very simple.

Ejecta

Post by Ejecta » 11 Feb 2020 23:04

Hey everyone, it's me. Thank you to Reggie for contacting me and alerting me to this, I had no idea until a few minutes ago.

Yeah, that review definitely wasn't written by me, although I think I know looking at the screenshots who did it, especially seeing as this Person messaged me a day or two ago. Looking at some of the replies here, it seems like we can all agree on who we think this Person is... the usual suspect, singular :roll:

Michael, I understand your reasoning now although I have often wondered why there is little security in the way of submitting reviews. I suppose it's not exactly a life or death situation; this is about custom levels for a 20 year old video game, not the CIA. If I were as active in this community as I would like to be then I likely would have picked up on this myself without any of this hullabaloo about polysemy or whatever (no offence intended, I only skimmed through the posts!) :hammer:

Alas, I am not, but the good thing about the TRLE community being as small and niche as it is, is that the majority of the time, things like this are caught out and dealt with as soon as possible. It also means that things like this happen rarely, as Michael said, yet when it does happen, it was either an innocent mistake or it's fairly easy to figure out who is troublesome enough to do it on purpose. So, I suppose it's not really the end of the world if there isn't some form of password or verification, even if it would be a nice thing to have.
#JusticeForSamNishimura

Jorge22
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by Jorge22 » 11 Feb 2020 23:18

Polysemy hullabaloo, lol.

Basically agree with you. Quality over quantity actually defines this community.

ReggieTR

Post by ReggieTR » 12 Feb 2020 16:06

Ejecta wrote:
11 Feb 2020 23:04
Hey everyone, it's me. Thank you to Reggie for contacting me and alerting me to this, I had no idea until a few minutes ago.

Yeah, that review definitely wasn't written by me, although I think I know looking at the screenshots who did it, especially seeing as this Person messaged me a day or two ago. Looking at some of the replies here, it seems like we can all agree on who we think this Person is... the usual suspect, singular :roll:

Michael, I understand your reasoning now although I have often wondered why there is little security in the way of submitting reviews. I suppose it's not exactly a life or death situation; this is about custom levels for a 20 year old video game, not the CIA. If I were as active in this community as I would like to be then I likely would have picked up on this myself without any of this hullabaloo about polysemy or whatever (no offence intended, I only skimmed through the posts!) :hammer:

Alas, I am not, but the good thing about the TRLE community being as small and niche as it is, is that the majority of the time, things like this are caught out and dealt with as soon as possible. It also means that things like this happen rarely, as Michael said, yet when it does happen, it was either an innocent mistake or it's fairly easy to figure out who is troublesome enough to do it on purpose. So, I suppose it's not really the end of the world if there isn't some form of password or verification, even if it would be a nice thing to have.
No problem. :)

And yeah, it's not a life or death situation but then I wasn't sure if reviews were being monitored or moderated at all. So I'm glad to see that it is taken seriously. Knowing how it's dealt with now and the constraints on changing things to a login system, I'll stick with reporting directly to Michael or just firing a notification to reviewers if a contact exists.

Anyway, glad this could be resolved, apologies for causing a stir. :bobby:

Trikazz

Post by Trikazz » 12 Feb 2020 16:49

in fact he needs to create a different system, for example access to your name in reviews only with your account logged in here, there people login and only your name appears (you have access) and do it because, from what I realized I I can put any Nick and do a Review on top of that person without them having done it, with what was shown here and obvious. he needs to improve and reinforce security so that we can even do our reviews without having major problems. :2thumbsup:

Jorge22
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by Jorge22 » 12 Feb 2020 17:29

I'll resist making any further comments... Just to avoid any frictions with the Russian mob! :lol:
Last edited by Jorge22 on 12 Feb 2020 17:58, edited 1 time in total.

Ejecta

Post by Ejecta » 12 Feb 2020 17:58

I wish I had your restraint, Jorge...

Pedro, you do realise that having your username changed and setting your location to Russia of all places is going to fool absolutely NOBODY into thinking you're a different person, right...? However, if you actually aren't clever enough to realise this, then you probably wouldn't have thought - and of course I am only talking hypothetically and theoretically here - to use a VPN or proxy before pretending to be me or anybody else when writing a review... :wink:
#JusticeForSamNishimura

Sylwia
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by Sylwia » 12 Feb 2020 18:10

This is my first trle review but it's 99% written by me and 1% grammatically corrected by lizard queen :D

Ryan
Keen Eye of the Week
Keen Eye of the Week

Post by Ryan » 12 Feb 2020 18:25

Ejecta wrote:
12 Feb 2020 17:58
I wish I had your restraint, Jorge...

Pedro, you do realise that having your username changed and setting your location to Russia of all places is going to fool absolutely NOBODY into thinking you're a different person, right...? However, if you actually aren't clever enough to realise this, then you probably wouldn't have thought - and of course I am only talking hypothetically and theoretically here - to use a VPN or proxy before pretending to be me or anybody else when writing a review... :wink:
Good point. Especially when it was Pedro in the first place that asked for his username to be changed, as well as stating "from PedroTheGamer to..." in his post in the Administration forum. :lol:
Sylwia wrote:
12 Feb 2020 18:10
This is my first trle review but it's 99% written by me and 1% grammatically corrected by lizard queen :D
Don't worry, your English is perfectly fine in that review. :2thumbsup:
No one but ourselves can free our minds...