Fake Reviews on Mehrbod's level

helping builders & reviewers hone their skills

Moderators: Raymond, eTux, QRS, EssGee

ReggieTR

Fake Reviews on Mehrbod's level

Post by ReggieTR » 09 Feb 2020 14:28

Hi, this is regarding Mehrbod's level The Lost Secret of Egypt.

Following Ceamonks' review I noticed three reviews went up very quickly awarding the level 10s.

This seemed a little suspicious.

After some investigation, I have noticed the 'reviewers' concerned are either totally new accounts or accounts which have been inactive for a while.

A big alarm bells rings when looking at Ejecta's review for his level which awards him 10/10/10/10

This reviewer's average score is 3.21 and their reviews are usually written in a lot of detail with good English being used.

In contrast, their review for Mehrbod was a single sentence written in poor English.

(Supposedly)Ejecta's review this week:
https://imgur.com/dRPiVpf

Ejecta's review in 2018 (last review given before this week)
https://imgur.com/7bbH9gX

The other reviewers also seem suspicious. I am simply marking this one out as the most blatant example of what I deem to be a fake review with clear evidence to suggest fakery.

I hope this will be addressed in order to preserve fairness for all builders who submit levels to this website, and the integrity of trle.net itself.

Thanks.

Teone
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Re: Fake Reviews on Mehrbod's level

Post by Teone » 09 Feb 2020 15:29

Hi Reggie :)
I don't know about Ejecta, but my review is genuine, and I'm pretty sure also nad's review it is. :wink:

ReggieTR

Post by ReggieTR » 09 Feb 2020 15:32

I believe your review to be genuine but I would ask that evidence be given on the claim that nad's review is legit.

At the very least, Ejecta's review is a fake and ought to be moderated.

SrDanielPonces

Post by SrDanielPonces » 09 Feb 2020 15:35

All you have to do is pick a random name and write a sentence. Anyone could impersonate anyone. I don't know how with all the years this site has there isn't any security feature where only you can use your name to review.

Wolf7

Post by Wolf7 » 09 Feb 2020 20:55

ReggieTR wrote:
09 Feb 2020 14:28

Following Ceamonks' review I noticed three reviews went up very quickly awarding the level 10s.

After some investigation, I have noticed the 'reviewers' concerned are either totally new accounts or accounts which have been inactive for a while.

A big alarm bells rings when looking at Ejecta's review for his level which awards him 10/10/10/10

This reviewer's average score is 3.21 and their reviews are usually written in a lot of detail with good English being used.

In contrast, their review for Mehrbod was a single sentence written in poor English.

The other reviewers also seem suspicious. I am simply marking this one out as the most blatant example of what I deem to be a fake review with clear evidence to suggest fakery.

I hope this will be addressed in order to preserve fairness for all builders who submit levels to this website, and the integrity of trle.net itself.

Thanks.
Well as far as I remember Ejecta used to review the firstest levels on the database (I mean starting from 1999's the Wall), and those levels are a bit trashy to be honest, that would be why the average is that low.
What if it was a mistake of Michael? It happened me once I had a review under my name that was not mine ... It was Pedro's or on a Pedro's level, I can't remember ...
Unfortunately, since reviews don't require to be logged or anything to be sent, the review could've been written by anyone, just like Srdanielponces has said.
I need to recover my sanity, I don't recognize myself sometimes.

The Snarky Lesbian

Post by The Snarky Lesbian » 09 Feb 2020 22:33

SrDanielPonces wrote:
09 Feb 2020 15:35
All you have to do is pick a random name and write a sentence. Anyone could impersonate anyone. I don't know how with all the years this site has there isn't any security feature where only you can use your name to review.
Indeed, I wouldn't be surprised if at some point I accidantly picked the wrong one by acc.... wait a moment...

[s]Ooooooooh, now I know what happened to my Hostile Waters Review! I accidently picked the name "TheWorldlyGamer" instead of "TheSnarkyLesbian".[/s]

Edit: Apparently the player TheWorldlyGamer DID review the level, and claimed it as his. So idk, maybe I'm crazy and need to get my head checked out. Apologies.

Well case in point, the name picking process for reviews is kind of weird.
My Twitch Channel

Do a good for the world and reduce the number of crawlspaces in your levels.

Phil
Mod
Mod

Post by Phil » 09 Feb 2020 23:13

I've done the same thing at least once, clicked on the name above or below my own and not catching the error until after the review was posted. If a name-protected security device was available, I'm sure Michael would have made use of it long before now. The system has worked as well as it has for as long as it has because the vast majority of us are honorable people.

Ceamonks890

Post by Ceamonks890 » 10 Feb 2020 03:41

^I still believe Reggie's findings are something to be taken seriously (regardless of this likely being a one-off scenario). If one's reviewer identity can be easily hijacked out of the blue with no way to know who did the deed, something needs to be done to ensure it doesn't end up happening again period.

Choosing to do nothing and remain blissfully complacent under the naive hope everyone has enough integrity to not distastefully steal someone else's identity, is a fine way to encourage this behaviour to happen more often if there's no serious consequences for it. Don't you think it'd be in especially poor taste if someone used a deceased person's account to get their opinions across like Dhama's or mugs?

There are aspects of this community that I appreciate for maintaining consistency over the years, but there are other areas which just frustrate me to no end with such a stubborn refusal to better adapt to the ever-changing times.

This ain't the 90s anymore. Internet standards have changed, with legit websites going above and beyond now to better guarantee the safety of its users and the content which is hosted on their servers. And I'd say its about time trle.net changed things up too, in order to make it a stronger & more sustainable site which survives long into the future as a result.

nad

Post by nad » 10 Feb 2020 12:48

ReggieTR wrote:
09 Feb 2020 14:28

Thanks.
I already posted my opinion about Mehrbod's level on Jan 17, 2020. Weeks before mine and cheamonks890 reviev.

viewtopic.php?f=27&t=31999&start=75
http://forum.laraslevelbase.org/wbb2/in ... adID=17127

This is the same text in many parts of the reviev.
My reviev isn't a fake.
Sorry, I've misunderstood you.
Last edited by nad on 10 Feb 2020 16:24, edited 2 times in total.
Stay at home and play Tomb Raider custom levels

ReggieTR

Post by ReggieTR » 10 Feb 2020 13:00

^ I didn't accuse you of that Nad. My focus was on "Ejecta's" fake review. The implication is that someone may have used your account without your knowledge or consent. No one individual is being blamed here. It could be anyone impersonating Ejecta, yourself or any other reviewer. Nothing personal. You ought to read my posts more closely.
Ceamonks890 wrote:
10 Feb 2020 03:41
^I still believe Reggie's findings are something to be taken seriously (regardless of this likely being a one-off scenario). If one's reviewer identity can be easily hijacked out of the blue with no way to know who did the deed, something needs to be done to ensure it doesn't end up happening again period.

Choosing to do nothing and remain blissfully complacent under the naive hope everyone has enough integrity to not distastefully steal someone else's identity, is a fine way to encourage this behaviour to happen more often if there's no serious consequences for it. Don't you think it'd be in especially poor taste if someone used a deceased person's account to get their opinions across like Dhama's or mugs?

There are aspects of this community that I appreciate for maintaining consistency over the years, but there are other areas which just frustrate me to no end with such a stubborn refusal to better adapt to the ever-changing times.

This ain't the 90s anymore. Internet standards have changed, with legit websites going above and beyond now to better guarantee the safety of its users and the content which is hosted on their servers. And I'd say its about time trle.net changed things up too, in order to make it a stronger & more sustainable site which survives long into the future as a result.
Exactly Jake. This is not a personal attack on any of the reviewers so far on Mehrbod's level but *concern* for the fact that at least one account has been hijacked by somebody.

And yeah, in lieu of a new system, I would suggest forum-style moderation for reviews. It doesn't take many man hours to run basic checks on each review that comes in to ensure the reviewer is who they say they are.

Absolutely. On a basic level, some monitoring would go a long way. I understand trle.net has been around for a long time and the motivation to overhaul the system maybe isn't there but as long as this domain exists with the vast back catalogue of levels it possesses, we as builders must try to work with what we have. I would hope by flagging up this issue some action might be taken with a little reflection on ensuring ways to avoid it in the future. Moderating reviews in the same way forum posts are would be a start I think.

Jorge22
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by Jorge22 » 10 Feb 2020 16:13

SrDanielPonces wrote:
Ditto. That makes sense.

On the flip side of this thread, I find suspicions annoying. So, who would you say wrote the poorly written reviews? Mehrbod himself? Can you leave the guy alone? He's concerned with other stuff and has perfectly good English. But if I were to go paranoid and if it were indeed a fake there's one name springing to mind in a flash and it's someone else.

I'm not saying Ejecta's review isn't a fake. I'm not saying it isn't phoney. I'm not even saying it can't be viewed as fishy. Etc. But then, it's up to Ejecta to say so.

And, as we've clearly seen, I think, even though forum accounts can be impersonated too ;) , Teone and nad's reviews are genuine. Like the real deal. Or the real McCoy.

Michael has taken care so far. I guess he prefers it that way. Still ditto, alright? Just because it makes some sense. But that's only my opinion and I don't decide. Hell, all I ever do is play, review and speak up a few things.

Then again, maybe this isn't me...

You know, if the discussion is reasonable (and it is - basically) I really wish somebody changed it so that it could become a general concern instead of this suspicious... thing.

Phil
Mod
Mod

Post by Phil » 10 Feb 2020 18:41

Jorge22 wrote:
10 Feb 2020 16:13
:lol:

Even though it's much easier to create a fake review than a fake post.

Otherwise, amen to everything you said.

Jorge22
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by Jorge22 » 10 Feb 2020 20:07

;)

lizard queen

Post by lizard queen » 10 Feb 2020 20:16

Could Michael add a field for the same password as the forum after selecting your reviewer name? That would serve two purposes... 1) Saveguard the reviewer's identity and 2) Insure that the reviewer was also a member of the forum.

ReggieTR

Post by ReggieTR » 10 Feb 2020 22:26

Jorge22 wrote:
10 Feb 2020 16:13
SrDanielPonces wrote:
Ditto. That makes sense.

On the flip side of this thread, I find suspicions annoying. So, who would you say wrote the poorly written reviews? Mehrbod himself? Can you leave the guy alone? He's concerned with other stuff and has perfectly good English. But if I were to go paranoid and if it were indeed a fake there's one name springing to mind in a flash and it's someone else.

I'm not saying Ejecta's review isn't a fake. I'm not saying it isn't phoney. I'm not even saying it can't be viewed as fishy. Etc. But then, it's up to Ejecta to say so.

And, as we've clearly seen, I think, even though forum accounts can be impersonated too ;) , Teone and nad's reviews are genuine. Like the real deal. Or the real McCoy.

Michael has taken care so far. I guess he prefers it that way. Still ditto, alright? Just because it makes some sense. But that's only my opinion and I don't decide. Hell, all I ever do is play, review and speak up a few things.

You know, if the discussion is reasonable (and it is - basically) I really wish somebody changed it so that it could become a general concern instead of this suspicious... thing.
Woah. Not cool to suggest we are targeting Mehrbod. Let me make this perfectly clear. It could be *anyone* hijacking Ejecta's account. The difference between the two reviews is totally obvious.

How about the mods/admins check the IP? That would be a good place to start if you wanted to narrow it down. Without that information, I am not in a place to point fingers, merely to report.

Well sometimes it takes an important or clear-cut case to demonstrate the need for change. If fake reviews can occur on Mehrbod's level, it can occur on anyone's.