Reviews and level concept

helping builders & reviewers hone their skills

Moderators: Raymond, eTux, QRS, EssGee

Jorge22
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Re: Reviews and level concept

Post by Jorge22 » 08 Jun 2020 18:45

I did read your review. Several times, which is a lot. Do you really think I care that much about your geometry problem if the whole looks good to me? And I found the ending to be perfectly fluent, hence not annoying (my non-universal opinion, obviously). What don't you understand about other people having valid opinions that may contradict yours?

I also won't review your levels until you, for whatever reason, happen to change your style. That is because I respect your effort. :)

Can we, please, leave it at that?

StudBuddha

Post by StudBuddha » 08 Jun 2020 19:02

"your geometry problem" LMAO. None of what I do, when I review, is about me. Are you even testing these levels to see if there are any errors present for other people who may be interesting in playing any particular level?

"I also won't review your levels until you, for whatever reason, happen to change your style. That is because I respect your effort." No you don't.

I encourage anyone out there to play my levels and rate them how you feel. 0-10 point scale. It's simple :)
Then you might like to mind...the bell.

Jorge22
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by Jorge22 » 08 Jun 2020 19:06

Yes, I do. There's a huge difference between respecting your effort and not liking the result. I may not like what you do and still understand there's an effort, a good enough reason for me to respect it. Ok?

I'm afraid someobody with your kind of self-centered speech appears from time to time. Oh well.

Our conversation's over.

But this may be too vague and you may not be that kind of person after all. If you want to know what destroys your efforts most of all, I can tell you. If you don't, it's all good. It's always my view and I didn't even want to mention your style. Just the ratings on that review.

StudBuddha

Post by StudBuddha » 08 Jun 2020 19:17

"But this may be too vague. If you want to know what destroys your efforts most of all, I can tell you. If you don't, it's all good." It's not vague. We need more people like me on this site. I'm just more bold with it. And I kept my first level story up for a reason.

Jorge22
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by Jorge22 » 08 Jun 2020 19:22

It's funny that you arrive here and decide what the site needs.

Ok. What would that reason be? Do you even want to know what I think is wrong with your level (yes, I'm aware you released a second one) and are you able to see it as constructive?

StudBuddha

Post by StudBuddha » 08 Jun 2020 19:24

Now why would I tell you that when I haven't even released the level? :lol:

Jorge22
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by Jorge22 » 08 Jun 2020 19:27

Fine. Then I'll mind my own business. I disagree with your ratings and you disagree with mine. That's all.

Teone
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Post by Teone » 08 Jun 2020 19:29

Sorry if I intrude in the discussion.
Even if I didn't play Astraf's game, I have to agree with Jorge.

IMO StudBuddha's reviews are not "objective" as he thinks. They are instead the point of view of a builder who has his own ideas of building and when he finds something he would not have put in one of his game then he points it out as a negative fact.

There's very few of empathy for the builders in what you write.

StudBuddha

Post by StudBuddha » 08 Jun 2020 19:31

Wow

Jorge22
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by Jorge22 » 08 Jun 2020 19:33

That wow really sounded deep. Like... wow!

Phil
Mod
Mod

Post by Phil » 08 Jun 2020 19:33

Jorge22 wrote:
08 Jun 2020 19:06
Our conversation's over.
It's never over until you have the last word. Not criticizing, that's just your nature. Let's check back in a few days to see if the latest post is yours.

Jorge22
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by Jorge22 » 08 Jun 2020 19:35

Ok. You do have a point. It may look that way. Right then. 8)

Hmm... I'm giving you the last word, Phil: do you have anything to say about StudBuddha's attitude?

JesseG

Post by JesseG » 09 Jun 2020 00:51

Jorge22 wrote:
08 Jun 2020 12:14
My point: when you write a review, say what you have to say, but leave other reviewers alone. It's pointless. You could have said it here but you chose to say it in your review. Fine. It's a bit strange, because people often complain about low ratings, not the opposite.
Fully agree with this. The review should be about the level itself. I usually do not read the other reviews before submitting my own, that way there's nothing on my mind but my own experience with the level.
I also try to avoid seeing the current rating but that's a bit more difficult to avoid... :-P

As to the rest of the discussion: it's good to have standards. I think that if you are consistent, it is healthy for the ranking system, and it gives your numbers more meaning. But there's no way everyone will have the same standards. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, it's why we like to have many reviews on each submission. Everyone brings their own perspective. :)

StudBuddha

Post by StudBuddha » 09 Jun 2020 02:55

But if you are overscoring a level, you don't deserved to be called out on it?

Just like you overscored another builder along with many others. The builder Lady_Wise with her debut level. Then overscoring her again. How can you give a 9 when there's massive wallpapering throughout the entire level. Not only that, other things as always. And you can even break out the flyby when the level begins and Winston disappears. But that gets 8/9/8/9 from you. And this level hasn't been updated. The same errors in the debut level are still present and they get worse same with Astraf.

Point is, when you do this you kill the potential of the builder. That's not helping them. And in my review, if you even bothered to read any of them. I still come back to make comments even positive ones about the level itself. Don't get upset at me because I'm fair.

eRIC
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by eRIC » 09 Jun 2020 07:35

If you have played the builder's debut level, this level is more annoying and even worse in every category in my honest opinion

aggreing with StuddBuddha on this. I enjoyed Astraf 's 1st level, the 2nd was mostly annoying to me and less well built.