helping builders & reviewers hone their skills

Moderators: Raymond, eTux, QRS, EssGee

Talos

Re: Reviews and level concept

Post by Talos » 17 Dec 2019 15:41

Thanks for the reply :D :2thumbsup:
Mulf wrote:
17 Dec 2019 15:08
There is no problem. The sentence of which you quoted the first half contrasts your level with those that sport the TR Search grab back look, and is in fact a compliment, not a criticism. This seems to be a case where something got lost in translation.
There is no need to educate me about the benefits of TRSearch, because believe it or not, I've been using it myself for a couple of years. Such issues as I had with your choice of textures or objects I have explicitly stated in my review.
Unfortunately translators do not always translate well, and my English is not very high.

Actually I used both Trsearch and LLB, along with some textures taken from Rise (the cross tile). I had several difficulties creating the set, because Rise is very big, so I had to create many "themed" textures. Byzantine theme and Russian theme, within the limits of my abilities, of course

Fair enough. But whether submerged in water or frozen in ice, the place does hold up remarkably well. It does explain the static cats though, I guess, sort of.
Cats are "static" because unfortunately I had problems with sounds (also the sfx of Lara, in fact ... I tried to change them but they disappeared! :-o ), and if I activated them they created horrible sounds. So I preferred to leave them "static".
In the game everything is submerged by ice, and not submerged in water as in the original myth (and Lara is convinced that Kitezh is under the waters of the Svetlojar, in fact)

Again, fair enough. I didn't spot those.
I admit that I prefer not to include "real" religious symbols in the levels, but the crosses were suitable for gameplay. I have slightly modified them. The Orthodox ones are on the roofs of the domes, but they are not very visible.

The first part of this I don't understand, so I just let it stand as it is. For the rest, you can call it poetic licence, but I think the otherwise historical setting clashes with the FF-style aesthetic, and not in a good way. But each to their own. :)
The Lara of the level is not mine, she is from Axelia (whom I thank again!), And she is inspired by the model of the game, which is not like a cartoon like the old ones. Maybe that's why it seems "different" to the other characters. :D
I'm not objecting to their name as such. The problem is that the name, combined with the apparent lack of effect that explosive arrows have on them, may mislead players to think they can't be killed.
Because I used the base of the horseman, which is very powerful. Actually I used the TRChronicles gladiator. I could have used the baddy, but it behaves differently and didn't respect the original Deathless Ones. Even in Rise they seem invincible ahahha XD but fortunately you can use the arrows with Greek fire and grenades :D

But why did you use such a blurry version of it, then? And waste four room textures on it?
If I inserted it too big it would have filled the whole room. Actually I wanted a Byzantine one, but I didn't find it. the others I found that I found were ugly, I didn't like it very much. Then I found this one, which had posted Crystal Dynamics and which I saw at a craft exhibition at the Russian stand.

Very well. I'd have to take Rise 101 then in order to fully appreciate your level. That's not going to happen, though. Again: each to their own. :)
I think you should watch it, you might like it: D I was very skeptical when it came out, but I changed my mind. :D

Bybye, happy Xmas! :2thumbsup:

Jorge22
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by Jorge22 » 17 Apr 2020 00:19

I'm just saying but am I the only one who thinks the one review to Search for the hidden stone so far looks like it was written by a junior copywriter?

vimmers
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by vimmers » 17 Apr 2020 07:55

how can it be copywrite if it's the only one review
unless you refer to another level

Tolle87

Post by Tolle87 » 17 Apr 2020 12:02

EDIT: Original comment removed, as I totally misunderstood the point of Jorge's comment. Sorry for the confusion.
Last edited by Tolle87 on 17 Apr 2020 12:36, edited 2 times in total.

Jorge22
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by Jorge22 » 17 Apr 2020 12:24

Yes. Yesterday, at the time I wrote, there was only one. And the one that there was looks like publicity. Glad I'm not the only one who has noticed...

Tolle87

Post by Tolle87 » 17 Apr 2020 12:35

Jorge22 wrote:
17 Apr 2020 12:24
Yes. Yesterday, at the time I wrote, there was only one. And the one that there was looks like publicity. Glad I'm not the only one who has noticed...

Oh, in that case I misunderstood. I thought you were referring to the fact that the second review kinda looked like the shortened summary of the first one.

Regarding Killer Gameplayz, he played Hidden Stone live on his Twitch stream and his reactions showed that he genuinely enjoyed it. The video is available for anyone to check it.

Jorge22
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by Jorge22 » 17 Apr 2020 12:53

Oh, cool. It's his "different" style of reviewing then. It does look like something a copywrite would write though, hence my thoughts, but that's perfectly fine. Case cleared and case closed. Thanks. :)

Jorge22
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by Jorge22 » 08 Jun 2020 12:14

How can a 9 be "throw out" for a certain level?

Very simple answer: someone may believe my ratings are too high, I believe they aren't. People have different experiences. Sometimes things aren't as obvious as they may seem.

I won't go further than that because, in that case, I'd have to explain why I don't want to play and review certain levels and I don't really want to do it. :)

My point: when you write a review, say what you have to say, but leave other reviewers alone. It's pointless. You could have said it here but you chose to say it in your review. Fine. It's a bit strange, because people often complain about low ratings, not the opposite.

MichaelP
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by MichaelP » 08 Jun 2020 13:58

Jorge22 wrote:
08 Jun 2020 12:14
...It's a bit strange, because people often complain about low ratings, not the opposite.
,,, which is actually the reason I let this one "pass" :D

Jorge22
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by Jorge22 » 08 Jun 2020 17:09

Ok then. It's not really too important, anyway. I said what I had to say. 8)

StudBuddha

Post by StudBuddha » 08 Jun 2020 17:34

My job as a reviewer is to push the builder to their maximum potential. Not to play favorites or give out 9's when there are BLATANT technical errors that are right in my face. You have reviewed over 700 levels and you thought this deserved a 9? In what world?

When I saw your rating of 9's I expected this to be an even better level than the builders debut level. It certainly was not and when you give a builder a 9 in any category...That's telling me I did almost everything right and I should keep going this route. That's not fair to the builder, other builders, neither the entire purpose of reviewing and scoring.

Builders or other reviewers may feel as though I'm pretty harsh. But in my opinion not at all. I respect people's style and stay away from levels to which I cannot relate.
Then you might like to mind...the bell.

Jorge22
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by Jorge22 » 08 Jun 2020 17:55

You, sir, are an educator. :D

Sorry if I let you down. But I think that you think you're being objective and I believe you're not.

What should we do?
:thinking2:

Nothing perhaps. :idea:

StudBuddha

Post by StudBuddha » 08 Jun 2020 18:06

"But I think that you think you're being objective and I believe you're not."

How?

Jorge22
Master Chatter
Master Chatter

Post by Jorge22 » 08 Jun 2020 18:18

Because, in my view, you're overreacting to this or that particular flaw that captured your attention so much so, it spoiled the entire gaming experience for you.

Other things are entirely opinionated: I thought the final wraith was an interesting touch, while you seem to have disliked it. And I never caught fire nor experienced any other issue (except for the one I didn't fail to mention). So, you see, I couldn't really complain.

None of our views is universal. But it seems like you could actually be having a harsh attitude towards this game because I somehow gave you high expectations. And that wouldn't be entirely fair on the builder.

Basically that's it. :)

StudBuddha

Post by StudBuddha » 08 Jun 2020 18:34

Do you even read my reviews? You should. Just based of geometry this is not a 9. This builder has too much potential.

"Not a masterpiece and containing at least a building glitch in the room" (your review) and so many other things.

"Other things are entirely opinionated: I thought the final wraith was an interesting touch, while you seem to have disliked it."

You thought it was a good idea to have a wrath chasing me until the end, have to go in an underwater small maze, while at the same time finding needed pickups, going through boxy room, having dogs sicked on me, having to do another cog wheel door (this one I can see), and seeing all these texture errors where all good ideas? That was annoying.